Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK 6th Canada 10th Education

UK 6th Canada 10th Education

Old Nov 30th 2012, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK 6th Canada 10th Education

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'm sure he's not stupid. But he's not famous just for being clever though is he.

If your not happy about Canada being below the UK in education, wait till you read about how Canada has the longest waits for medical treatment in the developed world.
I never said I was happy or unhappy so I don't know where you're getting that from. No idea what medical waits has to do with this either.

I already said you can get a great education in either country and that much depends on the quality of individual teachers - and there are good & bad teachers everywhere.

This is one study and in most of these (e.g. the OECD studies) Canada actually consistently tops the UK in education rankings. But so what? I doubt there's really a great deal of difference between either country overall. You're just as likely to find regional differences within each country or differences between individual schools within the same region. I also doubt that many people would leave one country for the other simply based on differences in educational standards - although university tuition is now relatively lower in Canada after the recent UK fee increases.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Nov 30th 2012 at 11:14 am.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 2:26 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Further proof your kids will fall behind if you move here
Old Nov 30th 2012, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
Further proof your kids will fall behind if you move here
Fall behind what exactly?

Are there no doctors in Canada, no accountants, no vets, no teachers, no engineers? Are all school leavers in Canada knuckle dragging morons?

I appreciate that all the children of those posting on this board were destined to become stars of their parents' profession of choosing until such time as those same parents chose to relocate to Canada: I would love to know whether that proved to be the case.

Why, for example, didn the "academic stars" of this forum choose to relocate to Canada and submit their children to such dire education?

I thought one's children could only obtain a "good" education in the UK if they were the children of affluent parents due to the policies of the "nasty party" which were embraced and then exceeded by Nulabor.

I believe a sense of proportion is required here.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Nov 30th 2012 at 2:58 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:04 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I swear every day she is here my child gets stupider How can I have a sense of proportion when I watch daily as one braincell after another is KILLED BY CANADIAN EDUCATION. It's like watching a laser lance warts, such is the precision with which Canada makes children inferior.

OH THE HUMANITY

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Nov 30th 2012 at 3:07 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Lets just agree that the UK is better than Canada in all aspects of life.
Education, banking, financial services, culture, food, TV and a whole host of other things. Our universities are shite and dont produce graduates that go on to worthwhile jobs. Its so hard to get money from your bank or order a cheque book. Our work ethic is so much less than those who perform the same kind of work in the UK.
All the ones that are emigrating from the UK to other countries are doing it because they have fallen in love with a Canadian or seeking a new adventure. Nobody is coming to Canada because the UK has no jobs to offer them etc etc.
Yup Canada sucks folks so unless in love with a Canuck or wanting a new adventure then Canada is definitely not the place for you.
Why subject your children to this hell hole and all that is bad.
Why are you here again.
My excuse I married a Canadian.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Lets just agree that the UK is better than Canada in all aspects of life.
Education, banking, financial services, culture, food, TV and a whole host of other things. Our universities are shite and dont produce graduates that go on to worthwhile jobs. Its so hard to get money from your bank or order a cheque book. Our work ethic is so much less than those who perform the same kind of work in the UK.
All the ones that are emigrating from the UK to other countries are doing it because they have fallen in love with a Canadian or seeking a new adventure. Nobody is coming to Canada because the UK has no jobs to offer them etc etc.
Yup Canada sucks folks so unless in love with a Canuck or wanting a new adventure then Canada is definitely not the place for you.
Why subject your children to this hell hole and all that is bad.
Why are you here again.
My excuse I married a Canadian.
I'm here because NZ sucks more, which is saying something
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:15 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I swear every day she is here my child gets stupider How can I have a sense of proportion when I watch daily as one braincell after another is KILLED BY CANADIAN EDUCATION. It's like watching a laser lance warts, such is the precision with which Canada makes children inferior.

OH THE HUMANITY
Your experience seems at odds with mine.

On the way to school today my 10yo was saying how she was on the bus home yesterday when she realised after about 20 minutes that she had been having a conversation with a friend in French the whole time, without thinking about it.

Made me happy as that was something I had hoped for when we chose to go down the french immersion path. Shes happy at school and getting great grades. Nothing about her Canadian education seems to be killing any brain cells, if anything Im often surprised by the stuff she is learning, seemingly without much effort.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm here because NZ sucks more, which is saying something
So why choose Canada over the UK if you left NZ because it sucked?
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:22 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I am still amused by the idea that HIGNFY is evidence of the intellectual superiority of a nation.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
So why choose Canada over the UK if you left NZ because it sucked?
the OH
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:37 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Your experience seems at odds with mine.

On the way to school today my 10yo was saying how she was on the bus home yesterday when she realised after about 20 minutes that she had been having a conversation with a friend in French the whole time, without thinking about it.

Made me happy as that was something I had hoped for when we chose to go down the french immersion path. Shes happy at school and getting great grades. Nothing about her Canadian education seems to be killing any brain cells, if anything Im often surprised by the stuff she is learning, seemingly without much effort.
I think KiwiLass might have been a bit sarcastic.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:43 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

So hard to tell without smileys....
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the OH
So divorce him for subjecting your kids to the less than stellar efforts of the Canadian education system BTW where was your OH educated?
I have seen kids from well to do backgrounds and attending prestige schools and who had great grades decide for whatever reason that living on the street or working at minimum wage or wanting to travel the world much to their parents disgust.
I have also seen kids growing up in less than ideal conditions and from dysfunctional families do well and go on to a high paying career.
Maybe in your opinion and to your standards your kid appears not to be doing well so if thats the case take them out of school and home school them.
You can educate a child to have umpteen degrees etc etc but if they choose not to put these skills to use then there is little you can do about it.
My youngest is now 22 and yes he is working in what I consider a non career job and he also dropped out of school never completing grade 12 whereas my oldest who is 27 went on and did some post secondary education and he is also gainfully employed in a job that has career potential.
Same parents, different kids and different results.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 4:03 pm

ding ding, we have a winner.

sorry folks for any confusion. I was sure the ridiculous "oh the humanity" statement would be a clue - wrong AGAIN
Old Nov 30th 2012, 4:32 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

One can’t ignore the stultifying effect Canadian culture has on a child’s development. I was in a school the other day and went into a grade four classroom at lunch where the children had to stay in because it was raining too hard and they were all playing chess, scrabble, hangman and something called boggle and then I went into a grade seven classroom and they were playing hungry hippos and snakes and ladders. It doesn’t take long.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.