Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK 6th Canada 10th Education

UK 6th Canada 10th Education

Old Nov 29th 2012, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK 6th Canada 10th Education

Originally Posted by bats
This survey says that education in the UK is ranked 6th in the world and Canada 10th.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-20498356

Do you think this is accurate?? I don't have kids so can't compare but based on the co-op kids I see they don't know much at 18 but they are much more confident than the UK equivalent.
And yet in most of these studies, Canada is consistently ranked above the UK. For example, the OECD consistently (and again in 2012) ranks Canada above the UK in math, reading and science. So who do you believe?

I do agree that US and Canadian college grads tend to be more well-rounded and confident than their UK counterparts. I think part of the reason is that North American students are forced to take a more balanced curriculum by studying topics outside of their comfort zone. For example, a science grad will also have to takes courses in arts, humanities and social sciences. Double majors or major/minor combination degrees are very common in North America.

My kids have gone to various levels of school in 3 different countries (UK, US and Canada). In my experience, the single biggest factor in educational success in the quality, enthusiasm and inspiration of the teacher. Parents play a role in promoting the importance of education and being advocates for their children - but if you get a child in front of a quality teacher who is knowledgeable, patient, enthusiastic, and inspirational, you'll find that parental impact fades into insignificance in comparison.

Within a particular country you'll find regional differences. I agree with the person who said the UK's status is dragged up by the higher standards in Scotland and NI. England has larger class sizes and doesn't fare as well in general when compared to NI and Scotland. However, even within a region, you'll find differences between schools. Even within a single school, the quality of teaching can vary greatly between individual teachers. There are good and bad teachers everywhere.

Regardless of where you are, the key to success is to have good teachers. Personally I think you can obtain a good education in Canada, the UK or the US. By the way, you can't judge a country's educational system based on what is on TV!
Old Nov 29th 2012, 9:28 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by huddm
It maybe that they have been educated in interlectualy challenging Grammar school system

hudd
Chips off the old block then?
Old Nov 29th 2012, 9:34 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
By the way, you can't judge a country's educational system based on what is on TV!
But I think Oink's very valid point is that you can judge it based on the perception of, and the respect for, highly educated people in a country's popular culture.

I could mention Ignatieff vs Don Cherry. Jerry Falwell vs Gore Vidal.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Here, my 7yr old (Grade 1) is in a split classroom- i.e. the teacher is teaching Grade 1 kids and Grade 2 kids at the same time. I cant see how that's good for either set of children, and I suspect it probably wouldn't happen in the UK (neither of my kids attended school in the UK, so I cant comment from experience).

There's one particular child in the school who has quite severe physical disabilities, and I would guess learning difficulties too, yet he's in the same class as the other kids. I'm still not sure if I think this is better or worse for him, but again, it's probably not something one would see in the UK system.
The school my son attended had split grades all the way through. Here is Calgary some schools choose split grades by choice. It allows them to loop with half the class and looping is dead popular. Actually I think there is no evidence that split grades is bad
Old Nov 29th 2012, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
But I think Oink's very valid point is that you can judge it based on the perception of, and the respect for, highly educated people in a country's popular culture.

I could mention Ignatieff vs Don Cherry. Jerry Falwell vs Gore Vidal.
Oh please...it's not like "celebrity worship" doesn't exist in the UK and many other countries too. I really don't see what that has to do with educational standards.

#2 in these rankings? South Korea. Ever heard of Psy? Gangnam Style?

#4? Japan. Sumo wrestlers?
Old Nov 30th 2012, 12:23 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh please...it's not like "celebrity worship" doesn't exist in the UK and many other countries too. I really don't see what that has to do with educational standards.

#2 in these rankings? South Korea. Ever heard of Psy? Gangnam Style?

#4? Japan. Sumo wrestlers?
The point is more that whilst that kind of shitty TV is everywhere, TV that celebrates the more cerebral doesn't exist here at all. Not many (and maybe even none) of those shows that Oink listed have Canadian analogues as far as I'm aware.

Last edited by Alan2005; Nov 30th 2012 at 12:28 am.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alan2005
The point is more that whilst that kind of shitty TV is everywhere, TV that celebrates the more cerebral doesn't exist here at all. Not many (and maybe even none) of those shows that Oink listed have Canadian analogues as far as I'm aware.
So what? The point I was making, which you seem to have missed, is that you can't judge a country's educational standards by what's on TV. North American TV is generally shit. There is some good stuff done mostly by public TV stations (e.g. TVO among others) but most TV is garbage. Why even make any connection between it and a country's educational system? People satisfy their intellectual needs in other ways.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 12:41 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Quite frankly I don't know the answer to that one. I suspect both countries provide good education opportunities. Interestingly there's a survey being reported in the Economist (a respected publication I believe) suggesting that for those to be born in 2013 Canada ranks as the 9th best country whereas Britain comes in at 27th.
http://www.economist.com/news/215664...3-lottery-life
Jesus, post that in the Oz forum, I'd love to read what the Oz bashers have to say about coming in 2nd place
Old Nov 30th 2012, 12:52 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

So what? The point I was making, which you seem to have missed, is that you can't judge a country's educational standards by what's on TV. North American TV is generally shit. There is some good stuff done mostly by public TV stations (e.g. TVO among others) but most TV is garbage. Why even make any connection between it and a country's educational system? People satisfy their intellectual needs in other ways.

Sure, whatever you say, it won't conjure into existence any Canadians who are famous for being clever. The fact these people don't exist says quite a lot about this countries attitudes to education; homespun folksiness is more respected here.

Last edited by Alan2005; Nov 30th 2012 at 12:54 am.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 1:13 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

So you are sort of on the fence on this one then?

Originally Posted by Oink

As I've said before, I wouldn't recommend people move to Canada for the education system but I wouldn't suggest leaving because of it.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
All I know is schoolkids seem to be better behaved and far more polite in Canada than they do in the UK.
As a teacher in the lower mainland, I don't see much difference.

Ruby
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

I hardly think TV has anything to do with it. The fact that the UK has better TV is more about cultural heritage in TV than 'heightened intellectual curiosity' in the UK!

The Education stats from the OECD are interesting. I agree with an earlier post that cultures focused on intensive stats in the early years (UK being one) may look good on paper, but what about the longer term benefits economically or otherwise? Canada has the best record of all G7 nations in terms of percentage of people graduating from post-secondary and higher education institutions, and also in terms of those entering the workforce. That could change of course but them's the stats right now:

http://chronicle.com/academicDestination/Canada/63/
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:41 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, whatever you say, it won't conjure into existence any Canadians who are famous for being clever. The fact these people don't exist says quite a lot about this countries attitudes to education; homespun folksiness is more respected here.
What do you mean, Trivial Pursuit was invented by two Canadians. You gotta be clever to play that innit.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

So why did the Bank of England just appoint a Canadian as Governor? He's the first foreigner to ever head the BoE in its 318 year history.

“Mark Carney is a quality governor,” the Chancellor said. “He is quite simply the best, most experienced and most qualified person in the world to be the next Governor of the Bank of England.”

I bet he's clever.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 4:55 am

So why did the Bank of England just appoint a Canadian as Governor? He's the first foreigner to ever head the BoE in its 318 year history.

“Mark Carney is a quality governor,” the Chancellor said. “He is quite simply the best, most experienced and most qualified person in the world to be the next Governor of the Bank of England.”

I bet he's clever.
I'm sure he's not stupid. But he's not famous just for being clever though is he.

If your not happy about Canada being below the UK in education, wait till you read about how Canada has the longest waits for medical treatment in the developed world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.