Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK 6th Canada 10th Education

UK 6th Canada 10th Education

Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:11 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK 6th Canada 10th Education

Originally Posted by Oink
Ffs, imagine the cacophony coming out of the staff room moaning about how much extra work it is to bold something on the report cards when they're so worked to death at this time of year? What with the Christmas concert and fundraising drive and everything.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:14 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The main difference is the value each culture places on education specifically and intellectualism in general. One only has to look at respective tv programmes. And while you might debate the quality, how many programmes like Mastermind, Countdown, HIGNFY, QI, blockbusters etc do they put on over here. In the UK, the culture generally celebrates intellectual curiosity and language use, while in Canada they would rather watch an ice hockey fight.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The main difference is the value each culture places on education specifically and intellectualism in general. One only has to look at respective tv programmes. And while you might debate the quality, how many programmes like Mastermind, Countdown, HIGNFY, QI, blockbusters etc do they put on over here. In the UK, the culture generally celebrates intellectual curiosity and language use, while in Canada they would rather watch an ice hockey fight.
HIGNFY? QI? (don't you have that backwards?). Don't they still do University Challenge*?

All we've got here is Jeopardy which, although it's American is at least hosted by a Canadian.

*there is something roughly similar on the publicly funded TVOntario channel but it's not a very high standard. And no-one watches it.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Nov 29th 2012 at 8:27 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

True. You could also argue that the UK puts more value on TV than Canadians do. I've noticed that cradle intellectuals aren't exactly moaning about the TV - they know it's bad, they don't watch it. They don't expect it to be good.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:30 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
True. You could also argue that the UK puts more value on TV than Canadians do. I've noticed that cradle intellectuals aren't exactly moaning about the TV - they know it's bad, they don't watch it. They don't expect it to be good.
They watch the American stuff which, as was noted, apart from Jeopardy, is hardly a testament to intellectual endeavours.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about

Oink

These are the type of programme my teenage sons(17/19) watch on TV as they are their favourites- HIGNFY & QI. It maybe that they have been educated in interlectualy challenging Grammar school system and the eldest has gone onto Cambridge. I wonder if we stay in Canada they would ended up watching Hockey on TV?

I was a my eldest Salter's prize in London last Friday for coming joint 1st in his A Level Chemistry papers. One of the speakers noted that the UK has 1% of the worlds population with 20% of the academic/scientific/engineer knowledge

In his view this is why the UK has so many high ranking post secondary education institution in the world.

We found the basic education in Canada excellent such reading/writing. When we returned to the UK ours sons were 10/12 and found that Canada had a more social based education, whereas they were expected to work hard and achieve high grades in the UK.

As for the best system, there is some but not significant differences between Canada/UK . I agree good support from parents in either countries will allow a child to do well.

hudd

Last edited by huddm; Nov 29th 2012 at 8:38 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:37 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

They watch the American stuff which, as was noted, apart from Jeopardy, is hardly a testament to intellectual endeavours.
And it's still counts as TV if you watch it on your macbook pro in starbucks.

Culturally, this continent worships stupidity. Intellectuals are seen as elitist pricks and clever people are generally portrayed as evil or nerds.

Last edited by Alan2005; Nov 29th 2012 at 8:39 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:45 pm
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
You could argue that, although you'd probably be wrong. Cradles in general seem to organise their lives based on the TV schedules. (Maybe not the really brainy ones, but then again I'm sure Stephen Hawking and his chums Back in the UK aren't big fans of TOWIE either).
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Ffs, imagine the cacophony coming out of the staff room moaning about how much extra work it is to bold something on the report cards when they're so worked to death at this time of year? What with the Christmas concert and fundraising drive and everything.
Report cards. Copy and paste isn't it? The number of times I have pulled up a teacher at Parent - Teacher interviews because of references to his or him when both of my children currently in school are girls
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:56 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Oh come on. A lot of the UK TV i saw when I was last there was really dire.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Report cards. Copy and paste isn't it? The number of times I have pulled up a teacher at Parent - Teacher interviews because of references to his or him when both of my children currently in school are girls
Teachers in Alberta are very poorly educated. Give them a break.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

None of that going on in Ontario this year...

The report card is pre formatted... no need for them to do anything, just add it to the form, the bigger the better
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

My kids dont watch any TV, maybe that explains their grades...
Old Nov 29th 2012, 9:19 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
Oh come on. A lot of the UK TV i saw when I was last there was really dire.
I thought that too, but the good stuff is good, if you see what I mean.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 9:23 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgagitw
Well don't make unfounded statements then.
Bit touchy!

My children's schools in Nova Scotia are 2 years behind where they would be in their schools in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.