Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK 6th Canada 10th Education

UK 6th Canada 10th Education

Old Nov 29th 2012, 4:28 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK 6th Canada 10th Education

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
What i dont like at maybe its an Edmonton thing..is they have accelerated learning for what are deemed as academic high achievers..this is all well and good..but they get priority in terms of teaching, equipment and facilities and get to go on far more school trips than everyone else yet there is no extra charge for this which seems wholly unfair on other children and parents.
My youngest is in a similar program here, getting additional reading support as she is in G1 reading at a G4 level. There is apparently a separate budget for it as some sort of pilot program here.

If they didnt do it I suspect everyone would suffer as she would be bored out of her gourd and looking for trouble.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Here, my 7yr old (Grade 1) is in a split classroom- i.e. the teacher is teaching Grade 1 kids and Grade 2 kids at the same time. I cant see how that's good for either set of children, and I suspect it probably wouldn't happen in the UK (neither of my kids attended school in the UK, so I cant comment from experience).

There's one particular child in the school who has quite severe physical disabilities, and I would guess learning difficulties too, yet he's in the same class as the other kids. I'm still not sure if I think this is better or worse for him, but again, it's probably not something one would see in the UK system.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 4:39 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Here, my 7yr old (Grade 1) is in a split classroom- i.e. the teacher is teaching Grade 1 kids and Grade 2 kids at the same time. I cant see how that's good for either set of children, and I suspect it probably wouldn't happen in the UK (neither of my kids attended school in the UK, so I cant comment from experience).

There's one particular child in the school who has quite severe physical disabilities, and I would guess learning difficulties too, yet he's in the same class as the other kids. I'm still not sure if I think this is better or worse for him, but again, it's probably not something one would see in the UK system.
Mines in a 1/2 split, but for us its not really a problem as shes a January born kid, so not so different age wise to the G2s.

From her point of view its probably better then being stuck with all G1s as she is less bored. It used to be that kids would skip grades here quite often, but I dont think its fashionable to do so any more.

Split grades are a consequence of demographics and dropping enrolement numbers in reality. Its a way to take what used to be 2 G1 classes and 2 G2 classes and combine them into only 3 classes.

Weve had special needs kids in our classes before and its not been an issue, there have been EAs to help out. Whether or not its better for the kids or not I dont know, it puts me in mind of a "thick of it" episode. I know what my Gran would say though, she was founder and headteacher of a special needs school that now carries her name. Integration where possible though seems to be the norm in the UK too.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 29th 2012 at 4:42 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

beautiful050278 is an unknown quantity at this point

My son went to a village school and just before we left to move over here, the school agreed to combine Year 2 and Year 3 classes as there wasnt enough kids in either years. And aparently this isn't unusual in Oxfordshire. I must say I do not agree with this at all. The kids who are already behind (the younger ones) will only fall futher behind, IMO anyway. And the older ones will probably get bored.
Also the kids with learning difficulties (tourettes, ADHD ...) are in the main stream education too.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 4:59 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgagitw
In the general case, I can't possibly comment as I don't have the data. In my son's case, which I'm intimately familiar with and about which you know absolutely nothing, definitely only 1 year.
keep your pants on!
Old Nov 29th 2012, 6:39 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Are we talking pants as we know it, or the Canadian equivalent? Just asking

Jericho....a 7yr old in Grade ? In the UK that kid would have been in primary 3

Originally Posted by Lorry1
keep your pants on!
Old Nov 29th 2012, 6:50 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Both my kids are in grade splits with the grade above their own in the same class as them. My experience of the school they are in compared to their school in the UK is that in terms of educational diversity (school trips, field walks, sports etc) their Canadian school has quite a bit more to offer. However, in term of academic content, I think the fact both kids started 1 year sooner with the UK system has meant they had a head start on their Canadian contemporaries. I would say the academic work level was/is higher in the UK for comparable ages.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:10 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ultrarunner

Jericho....a 7yr old in Grade ? In the UK that kid would have been in primary 3
We were moving provinces so decided to hold her back a year.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:46 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Bottom line is, formal schooling doesn’t make much of a difference anyway. Academic success is nearly all down to the parents' educational expectations and involvement, which in turn is usually conditional on their educational success/attainment.

As I've said before, I wouldn't recommend people move to Canada for the education system but I wouldn't suggest leaving because of it.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:49 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Oink
Bottom line is, formal schooling doesn’t make much of a difference anyway. Academic success is nearly all down to the parents' educational expectations and involvement, which in turn is usually conditional on their educational success/attainment.
This should be printed in 18pt Bold on every report card given out.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:58 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chiefmissile
Hi,

The quality of teaching in Canada is second to none, with most Canadian teachers having better qualifications than most UK teachers. To be a teacher in Canada you need a 5 year degree not 4 like here in the UK.

Andrew
As someone who has 'trained' teachers in both systems, imo that is complete bollox. The US and Canadian HE systems both do quantity over quality. The students write a of of essays and take of tests but neither to a very high standard.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:00 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
This should be printed in 18pt Bold on every report card given out.
tatolly agrea
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
keep your pants on!
Well don't make unfounded statements then.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
tatolly agrea
Ffs, imagine the cacophony coming out of the staff room moaning about how much extra work it is to bold something on the report cards when they're so worked to death at this time of year? What with the Christmas concert and fundraising drive and everything.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Both happen in the UK.

Split grades especially are very common in Scottish primary schools in rural or semi-rural areas. There simply aren't enough kids to justify one teacher per year group. There are around 70 kids in the whole of my daughter's primary school - over Primary 1 to Primary 7. My kids have all been in split grades in two different schools - can't say we've noticed any negative consequences. It's down to the teachers to teach each child to their individual level and set them suitably challenging work - same as it would be in a single year class of mixed abilities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.