Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

ufile + qrops transfer

Wikiposts

ufile + qrops transfer

Old Feb 28th 2015, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute
Default ufile + qrops transfer

I know a lot of people on here have been through this one so, before I go through the pain of changing from UFile to TurboTax, has anyone managed to get UFile to put the correct deduction on line 208 without the aid of a T form of any kind?
Old Feb 28th 2015, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ufile + qrops transfer

Someone asked about this last year, and I don't think they were able to. I managed it in TurboTax, but it still wasn't intuitive.... at least they do let you edit the forms manually, if all else fails.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Someone asked about this last year, and I don't think they were able to. I managed it in TurboTax, but it still wasn't intuitive.... at least they do let you edit the forms manually, if all else fails.
I fear you may be right. I have just managed to get the right numbers into lines 130 and 208 by doing the following:

- entering the transfer amount as other income (easy part)
- manually overriding the RRSP deduction limit (per 2013 assessment line A) to be the amount of the transfer

U-file now generates a schedule 7 form which shows the transfer amount in boxes 10, 12, 13, 15 & 16.

edit: actually, I'm certain that last part is wrong since line 10 should be the RRSP deduction limit from my last assessment.

Last edited by dgagitw; Feb 28th 2015 at 8:34 am.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MarkG
Did the Canadian pension company send you a T4/T4A or similar?
Old Feb 28th 2015, 8:47 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

You include the QROPS amount on either line 2 or 3 of schedule 7 then take it out on line 14.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JonboyE
You include the QROPS amount on either line 2 or 3 of schedule 7 then take it out on line 14.
Thanks...TurboTax here I come I think. I'm very unimpressed by UFile at this point.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 8:58 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgagitw
They should send an RRSP contribution receipt marked section 60(j)
Old Feb 28th 2015, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

They should send an RRSP contribution receipt marked section 60(j)
Yes, I have that one. I'd hoped for something with a T in front of it too in the vague expectation that UFile would know what to do with it. I've mailed them (CIBC) to find out if something is due but they've been pretty efficient in the past so I'd expect to have received it if it was.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I just got some kind of s60 transfer thingy, no actual RRSP receipt.

My solution was just to type different numbers into different places in the 'tax interview' until I ended up with the right numbers on the right lines on the schedule form per JonboyE's explanation.
Old Feb 28th 2015, 12:41 pm
Binned by Muderators

Yes, I have that one. I'd hoped for something with a T in front of it too in the vague expectation that UFile would know what to do with it. I've mailed them (CIBC) to find out if something is due but they've been pretty efficient in the past so I'd expect to have received it if it was.
T slips are for taxable income. You don't want one of those!
Old Feb 28th 2015, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

has anyone managed to get UFile to put the correct deduction on line 208 without the aid of a T form of any kind?
Yes, I did this with UFile. It was a bit fiddly, but got there successfully. Can dig it out tomorrow if you're stuck
Old Mar 1st 2015, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

T slips are for taxable income. You don't want one of those!
Ah, I didn't realise that was the distinction! People transfer RRSPs within Canada all the time though, there must be some standard form they get that UFile can process?
Old Mar 1st 2015, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ann m
Yes, I did this with UFile. It was a bit fiddly, but got there successfully. Can dig it out tomorrow if you're stuck
If you could, that would be great, thanks! I really don't want to have to start using a different tax program if I can avoid it.
Old Mar 1st 2015, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

For future use, I've just got this to work with TurboTax as follows:

1. use the RRSP wizard and tell it you made a transfer - enter the CAD amount that you moved over under QROPS.
2. go to the view->'forms method'.
3. Click the 'forms lookup' icon in the menu bar.
4. Put '130' into the 'keywords to search for box'
5. double click on *OTH in the list that shows up once you done the search.
6. go to the bottom of form that now shows up and add a line under 'Other' for the same amount.

After all of that, line 130, line 208 and the lines on schedule 7 all seem top have the correct numbers.

legal disclaimer: I am not a tax advisor of any type, make sure you talk to a real one before trying this at home kiddies.
Old Mar 1st 2015, 10:51 am
Just Joined

gail1308 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann m
Hi Ann m. I'm trying to do my tax return on UFile for the 4th year, and have QROPS to include this year. If you could dig out what you did to help me that would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.