British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   U.K. Vet nurse moving to canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/u-k-vet-nurse-moving-canada-891935/)

Conniebrown Feb 21st 2017 11:18 am

U.K. Vet nurse moving to canada

Hi 😊

I'm currently doing a BSc (Hons) in Veterinary Nursing, my partner and I are thinking about moving to Canada after I graduate in 2020. What will I have to do for my qualification to be recognised in Canada so I can apply for jobs there when the time comes?

TIA x

Shirtback Feb 21st 2017 3:22 pm

Re: U.K. Vet nurse moving to canada

Ummm...

I d suggest reading up on current requirements, for immigration routes as well as getting qualifications recognised/certified and possible provincial requirements.

WES Canada - Credential Assessment for Immigrants
https://www.icascanada.ca/home.aspx
As examples of how to get educational credentials checked.

Then check provincial requirements...

BUT: no one can predict what may be required, or what possible immigration routes will look like in 2020.

Conniebrown Feb 21st 2017 3:37 pm

Thank you

I'm just very confused as my course says it's a internationally recognised degree and is an accredited course

However, previous posts about other vet nurses wanting to move to Canada people have replied saying they will need their qualifications checked. But, I don't know if it's because they qualified through the diploma route, not the degree route and that's why.

christmasoompa Feb 21st 2017 3:42 pm

Canada rarely recognises anything without you jumping through hoops and getting requalified, that's just the way it usually is. Even a hairdresser needs to sit exams and get licensed to work in Canada!

So it may be that the course is recognised elsewhere, but I would expect you to have to do something to get Canadian equivalency, previous threads should help with giving you an idea of the steps you'll have to take.

If you plan to end up in Canada and want to avoid the hassle/cost/wait of getting your qualifications recognised, then is studying in Canada instead an option? You'd have an instantly recognisable qualification then and be much more likely to find a job.

christmasoompa Feb 21st 2017 3:44 pm

This thread maybe useful - http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...69/#post120470

Seems your degree definitely won't be enough, the info in that thread should help.

Best of luck.

Conniebrown Feb 21st 2017 4:02 pm

Thank you! As long as I know I'll need to have them accessed 😊

It's not a possibility at the moment, won't go into personal details but thanks for the idea anyway 😊

JonboyE Feb 21st 2017 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Conniebrown (Post 12185784)
I'm just very confused as my course says it's a internationally recognised degree and is an accredited course

My guess is that they mean it is recognized internationally as an academic qualification. Most professions and vocations are regulated at a provincial level and they will have their own requirements.

Dorothy Feb 21st 2017 9:29 pm

My partner, a heavy machine technician (fitter/diesel mechanic) with 35 years of experience has to write an exam in order to work in Canada on the exact equipment he has been working on here.

I have a trade I worked in for 20 years in Canada but isn't recognised in Australia.

Different countries mean different standards.

Stinkypup Feb 21st 2017 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12186094)
My partner, a heavy machine technician (fitter/diesel mechanic) with 35 years of experience has to write an exam in order to work in Canada on the exact equipment he has been working on here.

I have a trade I worked in for 20 years in Canada but isn't recognised in Australia.

Different countries mean different standards.

That could be read two ways- they expect the same standard of work but we have to jump through the appropriate hoops!
As a family physician, we had to do all the necessary exams even though we were fairly highly qualified and experienced in the UK-if you are determined enough, you will do it-it can be hard workt hough-I suppose it depends on how much you want it

Dorothy Feb 22nd 2017 12:29 am

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 12186121)
That could be read two ways- they expect the same standard of work but we have to jump through the appropriate hoops!
As a family physician, we had to do all the necessary exams even though we were fairly highly qualified and experienced in the UK-if you are determined enough, you will do it-it can be hard workt hough-I suppose it depends on how much you want it

You're right. I worded my response badly.

Stinkypup Feb 22nd 2017 1:07 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12186192)
You're right. I worded my response badly.

I knew what you meant ;)