Tyres

Old Sep 5th 2008, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tyres

Here is an article that might interest you. Its about driving to Whistler - in some parts that is. To me, tires are what connects your car to the road and they are one of the most important parts of the car's equipment. If winter tires are going to save your life or at least help with winter traction, then they are certainly worth the cost.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/f...res/index.html

There are also a lot of useful links on the right hand side.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 9:16 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

If you do decide to drive on all season tires then you should carry snow chains (and know how to fit them). They are required for many of BCs mountain roads.

If you plan to travel British Columbia roadways when
wintry conditions are a possibility, you should carry
chains and be prepared to install them if needed. When
you come to a posted sign on the highway stating
“Winter Tires or Chains Are Required Beyond This Point”,
you must be ready to install chains or have proper winter
tread tires before proceeding. Should you go beyond that
point without the proper equipment, you may be subject
to a fine.

Last edited by JonboyE; Sep 5th 2008 at 9:20 am.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
even if nearly everybody didn't already have winter tyres, this is still nonsense. Having two sets of tyres probably more than doubles the life of each, as they don't have to cope with conditions they were not designed for. Sure, there might have been a little blip in tax revenues as the few people without winter tyres had to get a set, but otherwise the long-term effect on tax revenues will have been neutral or slightly reduced.
Whatever....
Old Sep 5th 2008, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

zmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nice

Originally Posted by ScottDrummer
Hi,
Im looking for some new tyres, and wondered if anyone could give me an overview of what the law is in BC for tyres and winter driving. I live in Whistler, is it law to have winter tyres on in the winter or are all season tyres legal in the winter?
Clueless.

Thanks
Scott
We live in Pemberton but were in Whistler from December 07 to April this year and although our 4x4 had all season tyres on there were still a few days that we could have done with winter tyres on. (Especially with all the hire cars and Vancouver residents slipping around on the snow covered roads!)

We will be heading down to Canadian Tyre in Squamish sometime soon to get some for this year (and chains) as I don't relish the thought of having to drive up Suicide Hill without.

Zoe M. x
Old Sep 5th 2008, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

ScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to all

Originally Posted by zmartin
We live in Pemberton but were in Whistler from December 07 to April this year and although our 4x4 had all season tyres on there were still a few days that we could have done with winter tyres on. (Especially with all the hire cars and Vancouver residents slipping around on the snow covered roads!)

We will be heading down to Canadian Tyre in Squamish sometime soon to get some for this year (and chains) as I don't relish the thought of having to drive up Suicide Hill without.

Zoe M. x
Hey Zoe,
Good to hear of a near by resident here. I can imagine the drive up to pemby being dangerous in the winter.
Ill drop into Canadian Tyre on Sunday to get some winter tyres put on
Old Sep 5th 2008, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

ScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to all

Hey Zoe,
Good to hear of a near by resident here. I can imagine the drive up to pemby being dangerous in the winter.
Funnily enough, after reading your blog, I know of your OH Gary. I work computer support for Origin via the company I work for in Function.
Small world eh.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

zmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nice

They've got 25% off some winter tyres at the moment so a good time to get them.

Mentioned to Gary that you have both met and he said he remembered you. Small world indeed!

Zoe M. x
Old Sep 5th 2008, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Ive met your dog too, super cute.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 3:00 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Winter tires are better than 4x4

I used to drive an escape with 4x4 on all-seasons

my focus with good winter tires is wayyyyyyy better in bad conditions

the only time I resort to the escape is when the snow is too high for the focus
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:23 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Honda CRV and put winter tires on last year.

I found it made a huge difference to driving. I would always advocate winter tires for everyone. Much safer and gives a better grip on the road - noticably so for braking and when driving uphill/downhill.

We have a 70 metre winding uphill driveway from our house. Our friends with all season tires had trouble getting up there whilst we found it easy.

Last winter our tires went on in late November and came off in May.