Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Type of Car suggestion for Ontario/Toronto?

Type of Car suggestion for Ontario/Toronto?

Old Oct 10th 2008, 4:28 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Type of Car suggestion for Ontario/Toronto?

Originally Posted by Flogger
The biggest tosser i have ever had the misfortune to work with drove a subaru. Was a special day when he crashed it and wrote it off.
I know a tosser who crashed and wrote off his "Scooby-Doo" too. I would ask if it was the same bloke, but it almost certainly wasn't. There are loads of tossers who wrote off Scoobies out there!!
Old Oct 10th 2008, 4:28 pm
Sempai

retsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Have you looked at the Jaguar XKR Coupe? Very nice, and would certainly have an impact in the corporate parking lot. Not sure about a roofrack though.
No, I have not. It does look like a nice car. I think I recall that build quality and faults used to be a problem with Jaguars, has that changed? Who actually supplies the parts now? That is not a Jaguar engine is it?
Old Oct 10th 2008, 4:29 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
LOL, my brother, the accountant, drives a lexus
That's odd. One of my neighbours works in finance. He drives a Lexus. He does shovel his drive, though.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 4:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I know a tosser who crashed and wrote off his "Scooby-Doo" too. I would ask if it was the same bloke, but it almost certainly wasn't. There are loads of tossers who wrote off Scoobies out there!!
My partner's sister crashed hers. After waiting hours for help she started walking and so got fined for "leaving the scene" as well as "careless driving". Disgusted, she went to work in India.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 4:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retsujou
Well my partner would love that she is the speed freak in this relationship

But seriously, I will simply have to make a considerate choice then, as you said the weather does not impact that harshly. Back in Austria I learned driving with an old Saab 900 Turbo and that car was awesome. No matter how cold or how bad the weather is plowed through it and got me home safely.
Well, Saabs are still a corporate parking lot option here that wont paint you as a particular type (other than independent), and available with AWD too.

My dad had a 900 too. They were great cars. Just not been the same since the GM takeover I'm afraid. They seem to have lost the eccentricity that made them special. I guess thats part of the reason I like Subarus....the independent blind faith that they are engineering them right, even though no one does the boxer engine configuration or AWD across the board.

Thankfully Subaru styling seems to have progressed to be less quirky, mostly. My cars are a Honda Civic and a Subaru Legacy, but I dont have anything like the income you seem to have to throw at the choice, and I need to accomodate kids.

I forgot all about Cadillac earlier...that would be the natural domestic made corporate choice, they have made great strides in dynamics and performance, but i suppose are still seen as a bit behind the germans and japs. It creates a certain "when in Rome" impression though I suppose.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 10th 2008 at 4:47 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 4:45 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

No, I have not. It does look like a nice car. I think I recall that build quality and faults used to be a problem with Jaguars, has that changed? Who actually supplies the parts now? That is not a Jaguar engine is it?
I believe it is a Jaguar designed & manufactured engine.

Are you Austrian? Stop being so damned Teutonic, with your questions about build quality and faults.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 4:49 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I believe it is a Jaguar designed & manufactured engine.

Are you Austrian? Stop being so damned Teutonic, with your questions about build quality and faults.
Jaguar build quality is among the best now anyway.

The top (business) half of the engine is all jaguar, but the block I think is the ford aluminum V8 block common to a number of other brands. Thats just the nature of modern car branding. No one seems concerned that a Lexus has a raft of parts in common with a bog standard Toyota, and they shouldnt be. Thankfully though the days of spotting cheap ford parts bin wiper stalks on Jags and Astons are long gone I think.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 10th 2008 at 4:51 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 4:53 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the fact that weather should not make so much of an impact, I think I will look and invest into hybrid technologies then and see what Toyota and Lexus can offer me on that.
I have a Toyota Camry Hybrid I like it a lot.

It has almost the same performance as a V6 Camry but it certainly isn't sporty.

The Prius does better mileage wise but doesn't have any sort of performance, or there is the Highlander Hybrid Don't know anything about that one as SUV's are not my thing.

I understand Lexus has three hybrid vehicles, the GSh, RXh and LSh.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 4:58 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

However all the canadian / cold weather hybrid test drives seem to bear out the fact that the economy is only marginally better. The batteries just dont like the cold.
40mpg city driving and 50mpg highway with a 2007 Camry Hybrid I would say is a bit better than marginal.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:00 pm
Sempai

retsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to all

Jaguar build quality is among the best now anyway.

The top (business) half of the engine is all jaguar, but the block I think is the ford aluminum V8 block common to a number of other brands. Thats just the nature of modern car branding. No one seems concerned that a Lexus has a raft of parts in common with a bog standard Toyota, and they shouldnt be. Thankfully though the days of spotting cheap ford parts bin wiper stalks on Jags and Astons are long gone I think.
Very interesting. Unfortunately the car is past my magic threshold I refuse to pay more than a 100.000$ for any type of car. So it is out of the question
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Steve_P
40mpg city driving and 50mpg highway with a 2007 Camry Hybrid I would say is a bit better than marginal.
Sounds good. However, the civic hybrid for example in real world testing gets 42mpg, and I get 39 in a regular one.

My point (if I had one) is that the real world milage is much further from the theoretical advertised milage by even more than the real world numbers for regular gas engined vehicles.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:01 pm
Sempai

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I have a Toyota Camry Hybrid I like it a lot.

It has almost the same performance as a V6 Camry but it certainly isn't sporty.

The Prius does better mileage wise but doesn't have any sort of performance, or there is the Highlander Hybrid Don't know anything about that one as SUV's are not my thing.

I understand Lexus has three hybrid vehicles, the GSh, RXh and LSh.
Yes I looked at the GSh 450 in particular and I love some of the features it has. It does ot look too bad either and due to the hybrid nature it seems to behave fairly well on the "sporty" behaviour front as well.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:08 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Very interesting. Unfortunately the car is past my magic threshold I refuse to pay more than a 100.000$ for any type of car. So it is out of the question
Life can be tough.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:17 pm
Sempai

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Life can be tough.
Indeed. Especially when you have to pay extra to drive a stick, I f*** hate automatic transmissions
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Automatics and manumatics have come a long way.

If you want stick on your execumobile that will severely limit your options in the canadian marketplace.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.