Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Two years in New Brunswick.

Two years in New Brunswick.

Old May 26th 2007, 12:55 am
Just Joined

Harrased_Dad is a jewel in the roughHarrased_Dad is a jewel in the roughHarrased_Dad is a jewel in the roughHarrased_Dad is a jewel in the rough
Default 8 Months in New Brunswick and going native....

Steve had a lot of valuable stuff to say, but for a slightly different perspective on some of it, here's my two-penny worth.

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
The cost of living is much higher then the UK.
I have not found this to be the case. Whilst some things are more expensive (e.g. heating bills, internal flights) others are the same or much cheaper (e.g. meat, petrol, children's activities). For comparison, I live in Moncton, NB, same as Steve.

If you have children, you will spend hours in ya car enabling them to have a social life.
There is some truth to this, but it is distorted. It is true that Canada has a car culture - everything is designed to be car accessable, and Canadians regularly drive distances which would stun the average Brit (most of my neighbours drive to Montreal (10hrs) or Ottawa (12hrs) in preference to flying. There are good cheap bus links (certainly in Moncton and between cities) but rail is expensive. Part of the reason you will end up driving kids is that their friends probably aren't two minutes walk away - and this is true of much of rural UK, too. For all the extra driving I do, I find the fuel costs are still far lower than in the UK (Petrol prices in the Maritimes are notoriously high compared with much of Canada.) - just dont by one of these:

http://www.dodge.com/en/ram_2500_3500/index.html

Furthermore, another reason you will be driving more often is the harsh winter climate. Most of January and February the temperature in Moncton was 15-30 degrees centigrade below zero. A dry cold, so its easy to keep warm with coat, gloves and hat, but not a cold you want to be out in.

All that said, I find there are many more activities to take kids to, also. And most of them are free, or have a nominal cost - thats the flip side to the relatively low wages here.

On House Costs Steve said:

Anything priced under $100,000 is generally crap.
This is where I have to take some issue. It is true if, and only if you must be in a city. Clearly, this will be true for most, but summer houses or retirement homes can be had for much less. I just went and looked at a summer house today. It's in a village, by a lake in the middle of nowhere, but listed for $49000. It is old but structurally sound, needing some minor cosmetic work and a new oil tank. Houses here tend to be listed and talked about in terms of square footage, as opposed to number of bedrooms. It took me a while to get used to it, but my guess is that a typical Barrat 3 bed semi has a square footage of 800-900 square feet. The one I looked at today was 2200 square feet, with an acre (approx 30m x 120m) of landscaped garden. If I decided to buy it, the additional work and new tank might come to $5000 total. At todays exchange rate, that means a house bigger than I could ever afford in the UK, with a large piece of land, for about 25,600 GBP.

So its all relative. As Steve suggested, look on www.mls.ca

Here's a very nice property on the outskirts of Moncton less than a mile from my house:

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.as...ertyID=5286222

If I wasn't already getting cheap rent through work, I'd certainly be interested.

One more thing - people have given their honest opinions on this thread and it might appear negative to some readers - theres one more thing I'd like to mention which I haven't spotted as yet. This place is very friendly, in a way that I have never experienced in the UK. The Maritimes have a reputation in Canada for hospitality, in a country well known for its friendliness. This is the kind of place where strangers greet you and chat with you whilst waiting to cross the road, where shop assistants genuinely mean for you to 'have a good day' and where you can easily find new friends. Don't discount this aspect of life in the Maritimes.

Harassed_Dad
Old May 26th 2007, 7:11 pm
Canadian Outlaw

RobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to all
Default Re: 8 Months in New Brunswick and going native....

Originally Posted by Harrased_Dad
Steve had a lot of valuable stuff to say, but for a slightly different perspective on some of it, here's my two-penny worth.

I have not found this to be the case. Whilst some things are more expensive (e.g. heating bills, internal flights) others are the same or much cheaper (e.g. meat, petrol, children's activities). For comparison, I live in Moncton, NB, same as Steve.

There is some truth to this, but it is distorted. It is true that Canada has a car culture - everything is designed to be car accessable, and Canadians regularly drive distances which would stun the average Brit (most of my neighbours drive to Montreal (10hrs) or Ottawa (12hrs) in preference to flying. There are good cheap bus links (certainly in Moncton and between cities) but rail is expensive. Part of the reason you will end up driving kids is that their friends probably aren't two minutes walk away - and this is true of much of rural UK, too. For all the extra driving I do, I find the fuel costs are still far lower than in the UK (Petrol prices in the Maritimes are notoriously high compared with much of Canada.) - just dont by one of these:

http://www.dodge.com/en/ram_2500_3500/index.html

Furthermore, another reason you will be driving more often is the harsh winter climate. Most of January and February the temperature in Moncton was 15-30 degrees centigrade below zero. A dry cold, so its easy to keep warm with coat, gloves and hat, but not a cold you want to be out in.

All that said, I find there are many more activities to take kids to, also. And most of them are free, or have a nominal cost - thats the flip side to the relatively low wages here.

On House Costs Steve said:

This is where I have to take some issue. It is true if, and only if you must be in a city. Clearly, this will be true for most, but summer houses or retirement homes can be had for much less. I just went and looked at a summer house today. It's in a village, by a lake in the middle of nowhere, but listed for $49000. It is old but structurally sound, needing some minor cosmetic work and a new oil tank. Houses here tend to be listed and talked about in terms of square footage, as opposed to number of bedrooms. It took me a while to get used to it, but my guess is that a typical Barrat 3 bed semi has a square footage of 800-900 square feet. The one I looked at today was 2200 square feet, with an acre (approx 30m x 120m) of landscaped garden. If I decided to buy it, the additional work and new tank might come to $5000 total. At todays exchange rate, that means a house bigger than I could ever afford in the UK, with a large piece of land, for about 25,600 GBP.

So its all relative. As Steve suggested, look on www.mls.ca

Here's a very nice property on the outskirts of Moncton less than a mile from my house:

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.as...ertyID=5286222

If I wasn't already getting cheap rent through work, I'd certainly be interested.

One more thing - people have given their honest opinions on this thread and it might appear negative to some readers - theres one more thing I'd like to mention which I haven't spotted as yet. This place is very friendly, in a way that I have never experienced in the UK. The Maritimes have a reputation in Canada for hospitality, in a country well known for its friendliness. This is the kind of place where strangers greet you and chat with you whilst waiting to cross the road, where shop assistants genuinely mean for you to 'have a good day' and where you can easily find new friends. Don't discount this aspect of life in the Maritimes.

Harassed_Dad
I second all the above. Can't wait to get my butt settled in New Brunswick. I'm looking forward to my holiday/landing next month - and the final move - as soon as my house sells. NB is a world away from how I live now in terms of "quality of life."
Old Jul 13th 2007, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

jantay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Two years in New Brunswick.

Hello,

I just came across this forum while doing a bit of research on selling houses. I was rather sad to see some of the experiences people have had moving to Canada. Just a bit of background on myself - I was born in New Brunswick, Canada in a village with a population of approximately 1500 people (at the present time). Although when I was growing up, I always wanted to live in a bigger place like Fredericton, N.B. I see a few of you are familiar with the city. I guess it depends on how you've grown up. People who live in big cities could find it very hard living in smaller communities and want everything at their doorstep or they may want to get away from all the stress and noise of living in a city. If you are retiring, then that is a whole different matter.

We recently moved from New Brunswick to PEI only because of a job offer that was too good to refuse. The only problem now is trying to sell our other house in N.B., it being in a Village instead of a City. As stated before, houses are cheaper in rural areas because there is less work available there and people don't want to commute an hour to work which was our situation. Although my husband did that hour commute for many years, our quality of life made up for any inconveniences. Our son knew everyone in his school. He was within biking distance of all activities and in the winter we drove him to hockey practice (5 minutes away) and games which we would not have even given a second thought to missing anyway I guess. I must say though that we have had hardly any snow over the past several winters which I rather like.

If someone was retiring then our spot in Doaktown would be perfect I guess. Our house needs work but mostly cosmetic. Being close to the Miramichi River, a famous salmon fishing spot for people all over the world, it would be heaven I guess if you were an outdoor person.

Even though I love our new place, I still miss that feeling of being part of a community where you know everyone. It does help to get out and involved in your community, it makes a world of difference.

I hope that everyone does their research before they move and not take just one person's experience as the ultimate truth, so to speak. I know in Atlantic Canada people are known world wide for their friendliness and I think the farther away you get into a larger city such as Toronto you will not get that same feeling. Not to say that people aren't friendly in large cities, it's just that you don't know anyone walking next to you anywhere and so that closes you off to new experiences I guess.

I wish everyone all the best if you move to Canada and hopefully it will be in Atlantic Canada. I know we'd love to have you.

Janice
Old Jul 13th 2007, 3:53 pm
Canadian Outlaw

RobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to allRobinHood is a name known to all
Smile Re: Two years in New Brunswick.

Originally Posted by jantay
Hello,

I just came across this forum while doing a bit of research on selling houses. I was rather sad to see some of the experiences people have had moving to Canada. Just a bit of background on myself - I was born in New Brunswick, Canada in a village with a population of approximately 1500 people (at the present time). Although when I was growing up, I always wanted to live in a bigger place like Fredericton, N.B. I see a few of you are familiar with the city. I guess it depends on how you've grown up. People who live in big cities could find it very hard living in smaller communities and want everything at their doorstep or they may want to get away from all the stress and noise of living in a city. If you are retiring, then that is a whole different matter.

We recently moved from New Brunswick to PEI only because of a job offer that was too good to refuse. The only problem now is trying to sell our other house in N.B., it being in a Village instead of a City. As stated before, houses are cheaper in rural areas because there is less work available there and people don't want to commute an hour to work which was our situation. Although my husband did that hour commute for many years, our quality of life made up for any inconveniences. Our son knew everyone in his school. He was within biking distance of all activities and in the winter we drove him to hockey practice (5 minutes away) and games which we would not have even given a second thought to missing anyway I guess. I must say though that we have had hardly any snow over the past several winters which I rather like.

If someone was retiring then our spot in Doaktown would be perfect I guess. Our house needs work but mostly cosmetic. Being close to the Miramichi River, a famous salmon fishing spot for people all over the world, it would be heaven I guess if you were an outdoor person.

Even though I love our new place, I still miss that feeling of being part of a community where you know everyone. It does help to get out and involved in your community, it makes a world of difference.

I hope that everyone does their research before they move and not take just one person's experience as the ultimate truth, so to speak. I know in Atlantic Canada people are known world wide for their friendliness and I think the farther away you get into a larger city such as Toronto you will not get that same feeling. Not to say that people aren't friendly in large cities, it's just that you don't know anyone walking next to you anywhere and so that closes you off to new experiences I guess.

I wish everyone all the best if you move to Canada and hopefully it will be in Atlantic Canada. I know we'd love to have you.

Janice

And in one post Janice sums up my experience of the people of New Brunswick. I for one am glad to moving to the Maritimes.

Last edited by RobinHood; Jul 13th 2007 at 3:53 pm. Reason: Can't spell.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

paul-niki is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RobinHood
And in one post Janice sums up my experience of the people of New Brunswick. I for one am glad to moving to the Maritimes.
Hello folks,
daily, if not hourly this site impresses me. As I ask a question in one area you lot come up with a host of info on another! I am currently through a thread looking for opinions on where to reccy on our trip in October. All the info I have found about NB really appeals to me (lifestylle, countryside, climate, cost of living) I need to prove this to the Duchess who prefers the look of AB & BC, please any info/opinions of NB (particularily areas around the major towns where work will be more likely to be based) would be gratefully recieved. Regards, Paul
Old Jul 13th 2007, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

jantay is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Paul,

Glad people here are being of some help to you. You said the "Duchess" seems to be drawn to Alberta and B.C. I guess this doesn't surprise me since B.C.'s weather is warmer than the Maritimes and Alberta is thriving now with loads of jobs. On the down side, housing costs I hear in Alberta, particularly in Calgary have sky rocketed. I do know that housing costs are also more expensive in B.C. Is it the bigger cities that she is drawn to and if so then I guess you are not trying to get away from big city life now.

It depends on the size of place you want to live in and the types of activities you do on a regular basis. I mentioned in my previous post that I loved Fredericton, N.B. and I did so because it was just the right size. (http://www.fredericton.ca/en/index.asp) It has a very beautiful down town with lots of trees but has everything one needs, depending on your age I guess. Malls, theatre, recreation, a university town also, yet only a few hours away from beautiful beaches. It is true that it is best to have a job there before you decide on a move there. It is also true that the N.B. economy has not been the best but if you are skilled in areas that N.B. is looking for, then it shouldn't be any problem. ( http://jb-ge.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/Search_...ent&Student=No ) You can search here for for jobs available. I did notice that on the Career Beacon website there seems to be a lot of engineering jobs available.

Anyway, I do hope you research N.B. thoroughly. We really aren't "a third world country". Even in my village I had high speed internet. I hope you find what you are looking for and if there are any specific questions you need answered feel free to email me. Best of luck.

Janice
Old Jul 13th 2007, 5:06 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

NB is scenic, winters are long and can be harsh, Resource Based, only one real major city in Moncton , St John and Fredricton are really nothing more than large towns, but scenic.

French population centred more to the north, Aboriginal clashes are getting more frequent, limited job opportunities in High income .

Province is controlled by the Irving Family, what they say goes, they own most of the business', they are like Feudal Lords, NB is their Fiefdom.

This area was originally settled by Acadian French who then had their land stolen by the English, some stayed, others migrated to Louisiana where they are known as Cajuns as opposed to Acadians, of whom my wife is one.

http://www.whitepinepictures.com/seeds/i/sidebar.html
Old Aug 1st 2007, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

rustics will become famous soon enoughrustics will become famous soon enough

Hmm , quite. If too many people move here it'll end up like everywhere else.

It's revealing reading various people's comments. Unless somewhere is truly the black hole of Calcutta, whether an individual will be content there is usually not so much to do with the place, but much more to do with the person and their attitude. This is a primarily a Uk expats list and so most people are leaving or trying to leave the UK, but whine all you want, the Uk is still one of the best places in the world to live.

Sure there are things wrong in NB or BC or Toronto or Bristol but really, they are all still pretty good. I still love the UK but will not move back there now, as it is too expensive. I can't agree that NB has a higher cost of living than the UK, the main expenses in life are housing, transport, and food. Food and transport cost about the same here, on balance. Housing is so much cheaper and as this item totally dominates most budgets the bottom line has to be a lot lower. I haven't had to make mortgage payments since I moved here and have saved a fortune as a result. We have money for travel or whatever we need, despite an average single income in the family.

Be happy wherever you are

Rob
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

Originally Posted by jantay
You said the "Duchess" seems to be drawn to Alberta and B.C. I guess this doesn't surprise me since B.C.'s weather is warmer than the Maritimes and Alberta is thriving now with loads of jobs.
Not warmer in the vast majority of BC- only the very southern area and Vancouver Island. And there are plenty of jobs available in New Brunswick too.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Liana
Not warmer in the vast majority of BC- only the very southern area and Vancouver Island. And there are plenty of jobs available in New Brunswick too.
Im still convinced more than ever that NB is the place for us, I am terrible unhappy here in Toronto, cannot stand the ignorant rude attitude 99% of the population have here, and the work ethic of keep your back to the ball so you dont get stabbed in the back is really p*ssing me off!
I just have to convince hubby that the be all and end all of life isnt here in Toronto
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 5:37 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
Im still convinced more than ever that NB is the place for us, I am terrible unhappy here in Toronto, cannot stand the ignorant rude attitude 99% of the population have here, and the work ethic of keep your back to the ball so you dont get stabbed in the back is really p*ssing me off!
I just have to convince hubby that the be all and end all of life isnt here in Toronto
Great people out here in the Maritimes
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 6:04 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

Firstly I tell it like it is.
like it is for you, just like the rest of us post about how it is for us. Other peoples millage may vary.

Originally Posted by Corky
Then surely it isn't a city in Canada....is it!
There are many small cities in Canada where 15 minutes end to end is possible. Perhaps they wouldnt be considered cities in the UK, but here they are.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 6:12 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest
like it is for you, just like the rest of us post about how it is for us. Other peoples millage may vary.

There are many small cities in Canada where 15 minutes end to end is possible. Perhaps they wouldnt be considered cities in the UK, but here they are.
Correct, they wouldn't be. I think they would be classed as towns.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Hi to all who have written to me this year.

Firstly I tell it like it is.
The economy in NB is very much like the north of England was in the eighties....screwed.

Do not go north of Woodstock, Fredericton or Moncton...yes homes are very cheap but...you will have to speak French to work!

The cost of living is much higher then the UK.

All retail prices advertised are PLUS the 14% (opposite to buying in the UK).
Having visited NB a few times and my in-laws being from there I thought I would make some comments. Comparing NB and 'oop north' is a bit of a stretch. Outside of the 3 urban areas (Fredricton, Moncton and St John), NB is quite unpopulated and dependent on farming, forestry and fishing (the 3 "F's"), while IMHO the north of England has a more dynamic economy (and did in the 1980's).

Speaking french comment...you make it sound like speaking french is a hindrence. NB is the only officially bi-lingual province so get used to it. My MIL is from between Woodstock and Grand Falls and she can't speak any french. Going up the St. John River to within about 20-30 km of Grand Falls you can feel safe speaking English, little Englanders.

The price w/o tax included is all across Canada...not just NB... Personally, it is a pain as I'm not sure which items do or don't include tax.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
Having visited NB a few times and my in-laws being from there I thought I would make some comments. Comparing NB and 'oop north' is a bit of a stretch. Outside of the 3 urban areas (Fredricton, Moncton and St John), NB is quite unpopulated and dependent on farming, forestry and fishing (the 3 "F's"), while IMHO the north of England has a more dynamic economy (and did in the 1980's).

Speaking french comment...you make it sound like speaking french is a hindrence. NB is the only officially bi-lingual province so get used to it. My MIL is from between Woodstock and Grand Falls and she can't speak any french. Going up the St. John River to within about 20-30 km of Grand Falls you can feel safe speaking English, little Englanders.

The price w/o tax included is all across Canada...not just NB... Personally, it is a pain as I'm not sure which items do or don't include tax.
Im sure this hasbeen asked before but are the winters really that bad?? I mean its pretty rough here in the Tdot, so can it be much worse there? or am I kidding myself?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.