TV's

Old Jun 26th 2018, 12:25 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV's

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I do not but have read various posts over the years on BE. Anyhow...it’s worth checking with the insurance company.
Are you confusing power transformer with putting in a UK style 220v socket perhaps? There has been talk on BE about the latter invalidating home insurance - though no actual example of such - but I don't recall reading anything where someone was using a step-up/step-down transformer and had their insurance cancelled or invalidated.

Just by the by, my son has been using a su/sd trandformer for years for his UK TV/Playstation (he also has Canadian tv's and PS4) - he has a home rigged fan on his if he is using it for extensive periods but doesn't find it gets too hot providing it's not left on for days at a time.. the trick is to buy one with more power than you are ever going to need.
Old Jun 26th 2018, 12:50 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Just by the by, my son has been using a su/sd trandformer for years for his UK TV/Playstation (he also has Canadian tv's and PS4)
What kind of PlayStation? Every PlayStation since the PS2 slim has used a universal power supply. You wouldn't need to use a step transformer with one. Doing so would just make it less energy efficient.
Old Jun 26th 2018, 1:21 pm
Knight of Constantinople

G0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
For a desktop PC you need to check the power supply unit on the machine. Some use a universal PSU that can switch between 110v and 220-240v and others don't. I'll be honest, most modern ones don't these days since it is extremely easy to switch it to 110v in Europe and blow the entire machine. Occasionally they're universally rated but you will need to check the back of yours and see.

If yours isn't 110v compatible then you would just need to buy a new replacement PSU in Canada from a company like Amazon, NewEgg or The Source. I think some larger Best Buy's also carry them. You can also find them on eBay or Craigslist if you want a cheaper used option. The important thing is to get one that at least meets the watt level of your current one. Getting one that is rated much lower can be dangerous.
​​​​​​
I'm currently debating whether to take my gaming PC with me as it is or just disassemble it and buy a new case and rebuild it in Canada. Obviously not everyone has the skills and knowledge to do that though.
I'm in a similar dilemma. I've got a couple of PC's I wanting to take with me. One has a HDMI port which it quite handy as I can turn it into a entertainment system connnected to the TV. The PSU issue like you have said should not be that hard to sort out for anyone who has built PC's in the past. Rather than go through the breakdown, I will ship them via FedEx. Can't be bothered going through all that just to carry the memory sticks in your pocket! Just remember your thermal paste for the CPU!
Old Jun 26th 2018, 1:47 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G0ldie
I'm in a similar dilemma. I've got a couple of PC's I wanting to take with me. One has a HDMI port which it quite handy as I can turn it into a entertainment system connnected to the TV. The PSU issue like you have said should not be that hard to sort out for anyone who has built PC's in the past. Rather than go through the breakdown, I will ship them via FedEx. Can't be bothered going through all that just to carry the memory sticks in your pocket! Just remember your thermal paste for the CPU!
With RAM prices are atm, it might be best to keep them in your pocket so nobody can nick them en route.
Old Jun 26th 2018, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute

If the PC runs on 240 volts only, buying a replacement power supply for the PC in Canada is another option - they're quite easy to fit. Laptops etc. will almost certainly be fine, as other posters have observed.
Old Jun 26th 2018, 4:56 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Three things:
1. Ignore the crap Jerseygirl posted (in this instance; most of what she says is golden!) about home insurance. It's one of the most enduring - and evidence-free - urban myths on the BE forums.
2. Several posters have already commented that the old issue with NTSC vs PAL for TVs is now entirely obsolete; at most you'll need a step-up transformer but quite likely you won't even need that if your TV has a solid state power supply rather than a traditional transformer. Just get a new power lead (Amazon will help; most TVs are double-insulated so need a 2-blade plug), plug whatever source you want into the HDMI port and away you go
3. It sounds like you know what you're doing with your computer. But for the benefit of others, even if it doesn't appear that your PSU takes multiple input voltages, it's worth taking the cover off to have a look, as sometimes the switch itself is covered up (on purpose, to avoid accidentally setting the PSU to 110v in a 240v country...). It'll likely be a little red slider switch near the mains input socket. Again, you'll need a new kettle lead (desktop PSUs are earthed so will take a 2+ground lead with a 3-pin plug).
Old Jun 26th 2018, 5:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Did you know that in France, HDMI ports are called preez hardy me?
Old Jun 26th 2018, 7:19 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Three things:
1. Ignore the crap Jerseygirl posted (in this instance; most of what she says is golden!) about home insurance. It's one of the most enduring - and evidence-free - urban myths on the BE forums.
2. Several posters have already commented that the old issue with NTSC vs PAL for TVs is now entirely obsolete; at most you'll need a step-up transformer but quite likely you won't even need that if your TV has a solid state power supply rather than a traditional transformer. Just get a new power lead (Amazon will help; most TVs are double-insulated so need a 2-blade plug), plug whatever source you want into the HDMI port and away you go
3. It sounds like you know what you're doing with your computer. But for the benefit of others, even if it doesn't appear that your PSU takes multiple input voltages, it's worth taking the cover off to have a look, as sometimes the switch itself is covered up (on purpose, to avoid accidentally setting the PSU to 110v in a 240v country...). It'll likely be a little red slider switch near the mains input socket. Again, you'll need a new kettle lead (desktop PSUs are earthed so will take a 2+ground lead with a 3-pin plug).

From my experience if your PSU is from a decent brand like Corsair or Seasonic then you'll probably be OK. From my experience, PC component prices in the UK are roughly around the same as Canada though. They're supposedly much more expensive in Australia and New Zealand.
Old Jun 26th 2018, 8:18 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmynoshoes
We have a fairly new Samsung 55 inch (1 year old), so would be nice if we could take it and have it working over there.
I've recently shipped 2 Samsung TVs from Canada back to the UK. Neither required transformers to work over here. What's odd though is that one works fine hooked up to SKY via HDMI, the other won't accept a SKY box signal, so I have to use SKY Go via a laptop plugged into the TV. Apparently it's a relatively common problem and Samsung model dependent. Unfortunately you probably can't assume a Canadian cable box will be problem free when you try to connect the TV to it.

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Both my Samsungs from Canada had 3 prong plugs and work fine just plugged into a socket adaptor. No need to buy new power leads.
Old Jun 26th 2018, 8:46 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by R I C H
I've recently shipped 2 Samsung TVs from Canada back to the UK. Neither required transformers to work over here. What's odd though is that one works fine hooked up to SKY via HDMI, the other won't accept a SKY box signal, so I have to use SKY Go via a laptop plugged into the TV. Apparently it's a relatively common problem and Samsung model dependent. Unfortunately you probably can't assume a Canadian cable box will be problem free when you try to connect the TV to it.
I wonder if that's due to some sort of weird HDCP signal compliance problem.
Old Jun 27th 2018, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

milly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
​​​​​​
I'm currently debating whether to take my gaming PC with me as it is or just disassemble it and buy a new case and rebuild it in Canada. Obviously not everyone has the skills and knowledge to do that though.
We debated the same for our recent move to Vancouver and my husband decided to break down the PC and take it in his suitcase rather than shipping it. He packed each element in a static free bag and then with bubble wrap in a box which he surrounded by clothes etc. Everything seems to have arrived in one piece, although he hasn't yet bought a new case as we are in temporary accommodation.
Old Jun 27th 2018, 6:28 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by milly_m
We debated the same for our recent move to Vancouver and my husband decided to break down the PC and take it in his suitcase rather than shipping it. He packed each element in a static free bag and then with bubble wrap in a box which he surrounded by clothes etc. Everything seems to have arrived in one piece, although he hasn't yet bought a new case as we are in temporary accommodation.
Yeah I will probably end up doing the same I think. I brought up that suggestion with my OH when we were talking last night and she had no objection which was the main hurdle really.
Old Jun 28th 2018, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
If you bring your telly over here you wont able to receive the BBC,you need something called a license for that!
No, you need something called a DNS or a VPN....
Old Jun 28th 2018, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
No, you need something called a DNS or a VPN....
I know I was just joking.
Old Jun 29th 2018, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

jimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the things we watch are on Netflix, the rest we watch by other... methods. I don't think there are any programmes on British TV that we actually watch anymore. Maybe hollyoaks occassionally to see who is still psychotic on there, about it. Can't remember the last time I watched anything on the BBC lol.

Thanks all for the replies. In regards to PC, plan is similar to others, strip down, bag up, stick in suitcase, then rebuild once over there. If we do use a container (debating currently), then i'll ship the case with that since its about 15kg on its own. I don't particularly want to ship the components with it at the same time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.