Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

TV programmes help needed

Wikiposts

TV programmes help needed

Old Jun 24th 2009, 1:12 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TV programmes help needed

I am looking at TV packages from Cogeco as they will be my provider. My problem is, when trying to select which package I want from them, I dont know what each stations show's. So, is there an easy way for me to find out, such as a TV guide or something similar - any recommendations?

If I visit a Cogeco out let would they have a leaflet detailing each one? as I am renting in a different area I dont want to make a trip if I dont need to.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 1:18 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV programmes help needed

Originally Posted by Jacq & Brian
I am looking at TV packages from Cogeco as they will be my provider. My problem is, when trying to select which package I want from them, I dont know what each stations show's. So, is there an easy way for me to find out, such as a TV guide or something similar - any recommendations?

If I visit a Cogeco out let would they have a leaflet detailing each one? as I am renting in a different area I dont want to make a trip if I dont need to.
I have cogeco (analog plus or something). We are avoiding digital...hard enough to find anything worth watching on 50+ channels, why on earth would we want to pay extra for another 50 chanells of crap to have to search through for the few things worth the time to watch, plus need to pay monthly for the decoder box per set too.

What exactly are you wondering about?

You could just google each chanels name for the website, that would give you an idea of content....

Last edited by iaink; Jun 24th 2009 at 1:22 am.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 1:19 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe googling each station??

It's not the end of the world if you chose wrongly though is it? You can change the package easily. We just had the basic Cogeco package when we were with them and that was fine.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 1:26 am

I have googled a few, but to be honest got bored with it

I just really wanted promgrames that showed what English TV there is. Also we like documentarys, history channels that sort of thing.

Is it possible to order a movie like we did with sky by just pressing the red button?

I have also been told you can select extra channels when you want for a minimum of a month and then call to have them taken off - is that correct?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 1:50 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I have googled a few, but to be honest got bored with it

I just really wanted promgrames that showed what English TV there is. Also we like documentarys, history channels that sort of thing.

Is it possible to order a movie like we did with sky by just pressing the red button?

I have also been told you can select extra channels when you want for a minimum of a month and then call to have them taken off - is that correct?
TLN, Discovery, History, PBS, TVO cover the documentaries

English shows show up here and there, Apart from BBC canada and kids (a disappointment to many) TVO and PBS often show (generally older) UK dramas, Vision shows some old classic comedies too, Yes Minister, Last of the summer wine, that kind of thing. Showcase shows some of the newer comedies, and comedy is doing Extras and the Office at present...

Movies on demand would require one of the digital packages. Some are free, most not.
http://www.cogeco.ca/cable/vod/index.php

Cogeco customer service is actually pretty good the few run ins we have had with it. Picking and choosing chanels usually requires particular packages, but there are some you can pay extra for.

Its easy to get sucked into having an expensive custom picked set of chanels, but really its just more of the same shit, just for more money.

For Cogeco lisitings try
http://tvlistings.cogeco.ca/

Choose either Digital or Analogue, and if you dont have a post code to enter try K8N5S2

Last edited by iaink; Jun 24th 2009 at 1:54 am.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by iaink
TLN, Discovery, History, PBS, TVO cover the documentaries

English shows show up here and there, Apart from BBC canada and kids (a disappointment to many) TVO and PBS often show (generally older) UK dramas, Vision shows some old classic comedies too, Yes Minister, Last of the summer wine, that kind of thing. Showcase shows some of the newer comedies, and comedy is doing Extras and the Office at present...

Movies on demand would require one of the digital packages. Some are free, most not.
http://www.cogeco.ca/cable/vod/index.php

Cogeco customer service is actually pretty good the few run ins we have had with it. Picking and choosing chanels usually requires particular packages, but there are some you can pay extra for.

Its easy to get sucked into having an expensive custom picked set of chanels, but really its just more of the same shit, just for more money.

For Cogeco lisitings try
http://tvlistings.cogeco.ca/

Choose either Digital or Analogue, and if you dont have a post code to enter try K8N5S2
Thats really helpful - thanks so much.

I think I will get the basic package, looks like it will cover everything we need.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:16 am
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

We had Cogeco in the GTA 2006 / 2007 and confirm as Iain has above that the service was good. Package about $110 for 50+ channels which included 3 that showed English Footy. Package also included unlimited www and unlimited North American Phone Calls.

However, the system at that time was NOT set up for making Overseas calls, for that I bought a phone card from Canadian Superstore which I could top up online, view minutes left etc. Receiving calls from overseas no problem.

Also the local area code no Cogeco gave us was 289 as opposed to the usual 905. Used to cause no end of confusion with the local when i quoted that.

Last edited by Buchan6; Jun 24th 2009 at 2:17 am. Reason: typo
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Thats really helpful - thanks so much.

I think I will get the basic package, looks like it will cover everything we need.
With many of the cable company packages they will allow you to get all the channels free for 2 or 3 months and then you pick the package that suits your needs....its an offer that many people find hard to refuse.

If you want lots of footie and if you want any rugby you'll need Setanta Sports Canada (which is still on the air and is technically separate from Setanta UK).

If you bundle your TV with internet you can negotiate a deal.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:25 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Buchan6
We had Cogeco in the GTA 2006 / 2007 and confirm as Iain has above that the service was good. Package about $110 for 50+ channels which included 3 that showed English Footy. Package also included unlimited www and unlimited North American Phone Calls.

However, the system at that time was NOT set up for making Overseas calls, for that I bought a phone card from Canadian Superstore which I could top up online, view minutes left etc. Receiving calls from overseas no problem.

Also the local area code no Cogeco gave us was 289 as opposed to the usual 905. Used to cause no end of confusion with the local when i quoted that.
We pay $53 a month just for TV (analogue plus in order to get space and Sportsnet) and get footy on TSN (Champions league) Sportsnet (2 prem games on sat) and The Score (One prem game sunday, plus occasional extras like the current U21 championship)
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

We pay $53 a month just for TV (analogue plus in order to get space and Sportsnet) and get footy on TSN (Champions league) Sportsnet (2 prem games on sat) and The Score (One prem game sunday, plus occasional extras like the current U21 championship)
FYI...I believe that as of this coming season, the Champions League is going to be on Setanta in english and TLN in Italian/Spanish. That is if Setanta Sports Canada survives (it is quite heavily financed by Rogers in Canada so some games may be sub-licensed to Rogers Sportsnet).
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:31 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
FYI...I believe that as of this coming season, the Champions League is going to be on Setanta in english and TLN in Italian/Spanish. That is if Setanta Sports Canada survives (it is quite heavily financed by Rogers in Canada so some games may be sub-licensed to Rogers Sportsnet).
CL will still be on TSN either way, they will just carry the setanta feed instead of the ESPN feed, same way sportsnet carries on Setanta game and one Fox game..

Then again with the Setanta problems maybe it will still be ESPN and Tommy Bloody onionbag Smyth after all and my rejoicing will have proved to be premature

If you wany live options for several games then digital is the way to go I guess, but as they are on during the work day I end up watching recordings anyway, so dont feel to the need to pay extra for a wider choice.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

CL will still be on TSN either way, they will just carry the setanta feed instead of the ESPN feed, same way sportsnet carries on Setanta game and one Fox game..

Then again with the Setanta problems maybe it will still be ESPN and Tommy Bloody onionbag Smyth after all and my rejoicing will have proved to be premature

If you wany live options for several games then digital is the way to go I guess, but as they are on during the work day I end up watching recordings anyway, so dont feel to the need to pay extra for a wider choice.
I think it will be shared between Sportsnet and Setanta as per this link. I'm crossing fingers that we will be onion bag free with this new arrangement.

http://www.epltalk.com/rogers-sports...in-canada/5740
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

I'm with Rogers and have the HD VIP package.
We get about 19 HD channels, but our favourite ones are BBC Canada, TVO and the three movie ones TCM, AMC and IFC I have the DVR and record quite a lot including 2 1/2 hours of Coronation Street every Sunday.
It costs $67/month, I bought the DVR $400, instead of renting from Rogers for $28/month)
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:47 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

^^^which it sucks to know if Cogeco is your ONLY OPTION....
Old Jun 24th 2009, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Keith
I'm with Rogers and have the HD VIP package.
We get about 19 HD channels, but our favourite ones are BBC Canada, TVO and the three movie ones TCM, AMC and IFC I have the DVR and record quite a lot including 2 1/2 hours of Coronation Street every Sunday.
It costs $67/month, I bought the DVR $400, instead of renting from Rogers for $28/month)
I managed to negotiate a PVR free for 24 months (and when that time is up, I'll negotiate another term free) in my package. When the OP signs up for a package here in Canada, I'm sure they can negotiate a PVR into the equation or LD calls at a pittance etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.