Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The TV in Canada is shockingly poor!

The TV in Canada is shockingly poor!

Old Aug 5th 2006, 3:23 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The TV in Canada is shockingly poor!

Originally Posted by willmore
The PBS stations coming out of Seattle and Detroit and the educational stations are well worth watching. We very seldom watch TV (maybe an hour a week) but when we do its these stations.
Yes! Especially in HDTV.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

sbays is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Yes! Especially in HDTV.
Come on , TV, Were do I start, Mountain biking, Walking, Fishing, Skiing, Speed Boat. swimming, ice hockey.....

Getting pissed round a camp fire singing...

Why don't you, why don't you, just switch off your television set and go do somthing less boring instead (for those who remeber that show) lol....
Old Aug 5th 2006, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

sbays is an unknown quantity at this point

ok, sorry for my last post,,,,,

You can always watch re-runs of Skippy the bush thingy, or Lassie who saves little Timmy who fell down the well in the middle of no where.....

or Top Gear on BBC Canada 4pm Sunday Pacific :
Old Aug 5th 2006, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Try UK Nova for past and present British programs - non-commercially available programs that is...

http://www.uknova.com/
Old Aug 5th 2006, 9:16 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

I enjoy watching Fox News for the US neo-conservative Government propaganda.... it makes me smile knowing that tens of millions of 'mericans think it's real.
Bwahahaha Fox News is funny as ****!!! I used to sit aghast at the almost childlike bias, the folksy rhetoric, constant swooshy noises and pompous anchors but I can't anymore...

One of those 'laugh or cry' things really I think; as you say, to millions of Americans I guess, this is their truth.

I'd point out though that for any interested parties, at least one free to air TV channel in Quebec seemed to show softcore pr0n every single night at a surprisingly early hour. The pomme really doesn't fall far from l'arbre.

Oh, and if you're going to be strict about it, don't all those Vancouver-based shows really count as Canadian TV? Battlestar Galactica anyone?? (Oh the shame ;p .)

edit: Don't forget Due South. Like modern Aesop's fables they are
Old Aug 5th 2006, 9:36 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by smelly
I must say so far ( and it has been eight weeks since we arrived in Calgary) that the quality of the TV seems "rubbish" there are way too many adverts and a whole lot of nothing going on, especially with cable.

But I have to say that I still do love watching re- runs of Frasier. All of his little idiosyncrasies are great and I used to watch the show a lot when I was in he UK. Watching episodes in Canada is like putting on a comfortable slipper, and I hate to say it add's a little quality to my viewing.
It will improve in September or early October when the new season starts. However the improvement will be marginal at best. Just more of the same crap only newer.

Thank goodness for PBS the very odd CBC production and some BBC Canada stuff.

I download some of the older UK shows that you have most likely seen already off Newsroups. These would be things like Inspector Lynley, The Vice, Spooks etc.

Cheers
Steve
Old Aug 5th 2006, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
I enjoy watching Fox News for the US neo-conservative Government propaganda.... it makes me smile knowing that tens of millions of 'mericans think it's real.
LOL - you mean "FAUX News"
Old Aug 5th 2006, 9:44 pm
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

I must say so far ( and it has been eight weeks since we arrived in Calgary) that the quality of the TV seems "rubbish" there are way too many adverts and a whole lot of nothing going on, especially with cable.

But I have to say that I still do love watching re- runs of Frasier. All of his little idiosyncrasies are great and I used to watch the show a lot when I was in he UK. Watching episodes in Canada is like putting on a comfortable slipper, and I hate to say it add's a little quality to my viewing.
You can always try watching ...

Old Aug 5th 2006, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1066
You can always try watching ...

PLEASE don't put me on the 'net! That girl is the spitting image of me at that age - spooky!
Old Aug 6th 2006, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get me started!!!!!! ... it's taken me 4 years to stop bitching about Canadian TV *major chuckles*

I can't watch much TV here, only the British stuff I find (thin on the ground) ... otherwise, I am on the PC!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 3:22 pm

Canada Jane has disabled reputation

I have to say that since moving into our new house we have spent more time looking out of the window at all the new birds in the garden than watching TV.

We have our camera set up, binoculars and Ontario bird identifier book and it is much more interesting that TV. Sadder perhaps, but hey, there are some beautiful birds out here - and some strange critters!

BTW a week to the day after installing our StarChoice HD receiver etc it broke. We are waiting for the repair guy to come out and fix it. Haven't really missed it yet, other than missing seeing the time on the front of the box!

Jane
Old Aug 7th 2006, 5:20 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Canada Jane
I have to say that since moving into our new house we have spent more time looking out of the window at all the new birds in the garden than watching TV.

We have our camera set up, binoculars and Ontario bird identifier book and it is much more interesting that TV. Sadder perhaps, but hey, there are some beautiful birds out here - and some strange critters!

BTW a week to the day after installing our StarChoice HD receiver etc it broke. We are waiting for the repair guy to come out and fix it. Haven't really missed it yet, other than missing seeing the time on the front of the box!

Jane
LOL! Exactly what reciever model do you have?
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:23 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We just switched from cable to satellite - OH thought satellite might have something on 'cause there are more channels - but it's just more of the same. slowley getting out of the habit of watching it. The commercials do my head in - every 7 minutes with 5 minutes of film :scared:
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Come on, do none you people have A&E ? "Growing Up Gotti" and "Dog The Bounty Hunter" are just the ultimate in trash TV. Granted Fox has some tacky shows and the CBC some astonishingly cheesy stuff but A&E truly scrapes the barrel. Relax into it, there's eight months of cold and darkness ahead, learn to wallow like the locals. Start with Cops and AMW if you need something fairly highbrow before you're ready for Inked.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sbays
Come on , TV, Were do I start, Mountain biking, Walking, Fishing, Skiing, Speed Boat. swimming, ice hockey.....

Getting pissed round a camp fire singing...

Why don't you, why don't you, just switch off your television set and go do somthing less boring instead (for those who remeber that show) lol....
Why Dont You do something less boring instead? Thats what I tell my kids to do! They just look at me and wonder what I am saying.

Last edited by hudd; Aug 7th 2006 at 9:05 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.