Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Turnaround of events (short story, but factual)

Turnaround of events (short story, but factual)

Old Aug 24th 2011, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold
Default Turnaround of events (short story, but factual)

People on this forum often say an employed immigrant is a happy one. One of the biggest struggles in emigrating is finding a job, but another is finding and maintaining sustainable income. In places like Vancouver, with housing at ludicrous levels, and salaries appearing to be at an all-time low, this is extremely tough and getting worse.

Coming to a place like Vancouver with a job offer in hand is really important unless you are bringing a shed load of cash and expect to spend it (and I'm talking at least 6 figures!). But immigrants are finding that nobody will hire them unless they are already here. Same seems to apply intra-Canada. I'm trying to assist someone moving from Toronto, who's a friend of a friend, and until she uproots and moves, nobody is going to offer her anything. In fact she's struggling to even get interviews, even though she came west to do just that.

I was lucky initially. I had already worked for a Canadian company and so convinced them to offer me a job, although I did end up paying for my own cost of getting to Vancouver for interview. Without that I'm sure I would never have got the job. But the offer did grant me a long work permit, allowing me to move relatively quickly after being offered the position.

My employment experience has been extremely turbulent though. The company I started with here, was bought out soon after I joined, and just obliterated higher paid staff, including me. I didn't know anything about the buy out, and was dismissed without cause, something that I'm pursuing right now. Apart from the founders who were contracted to continue as part of the sale, and the sweatshop workers, everyone else ended up being 'let go'. I uncovered the truth years after it happened, and my boss basically gave no reason for dismissing me, and refused to return calls when I subsequently wanted an explanation. Even the Record of Employment has a "reason" box which referred to a box on another form. Needless to say that other form's reason related back to the original.

Not only did this put me in a difficult position, but a small selection of staff who reported to me, decided that this was all somehow my fault. And to cut a long story short, succeeded in making sure I didn't work in Vancouver again. And yes that can happen. The 'networking' thing that drives employment in many sectors in Vancouver, can act against you as well as for you, and with disturbing ease and dire consequences.

I would apply for work which I was well qualified for. Either I wouldn't get even a sniff, or I would be scheduled for interview and then the interview would be canceled at some point without reason, explanation and I was unable to ever find out why. Or I'd be interviewed and it would go great, then get a second interview the same. Then nothing and nobody would speak with me. Yes I do understand that is quite normal, and certainly in some cases I realize I probably wasn't as well suited to the role as I'd first thought, but I'm just about the most experienced in what I do in Vancouver which is why I was brought out in the first place. And with no other evidence I could only assume that there were other better suited people. Obviously being knocked back time and time again, reaching a certain point and then feeling the cold shoulder had a major impact on me as a person. It destroyed my confidence, my career, and finally it destroyed me!

Then earlier this year, after years of unstable employment and unemployment an agent who I'd known for a while, represented me for a role I was (again) ideally suited to. I have a fairly unique background, so when I say 'ideally' I mean that sincerely. I'm in a niche and seriously experienced. Shortly after presenting me to the company, the agent called me confused at the company's response. It wasn't just a rejection but the response gave away something was up. He refused to say what they'd said. However it was the first time I had my suspicions confirmed. On investigating further I discovered that this small contingent of direct reports (and I should clarify this was a small proportion of all my reports, the others being highly complimentary about me), happened to now work in the company I was being presented to. But the way they responded was enough to alert my agent, who reported back to me. He has refused to say what he heard but I'm guessing he doesn't want to end up destroying his own relationship with that client, and fair enough.

Most of you are probably thinking thing like there's no smoke without fire. Or that a small group cannot have that impact on someone's life. Well perhaps not in most of Britain but in Vancouver it certainly can. The networking thing can just as easily destroy your career as assist it. My agent refused to tell me exactly what these people had said, but I could tell instantly that it was damaging and probably highly. So I wrote to the company and told them that I had heard libelous remarks about me and insisted that these people stop doing so, or face serious consequences. I also stated that if I uncover any libelous comment I will pursue it to the maximum against that individual. I'm sure you're rolling your eyes but it felt so good getting that off my chest.

I wasn't anticipating that anything would change. I did start digging further to uncover evidence to drag one of these MFs into court. I'm not a litigious person and can't stand the North American sue me, sue you mentality. The whole thing is like a load of spoiled brats, who instead of running to their 'mom' and 'pop' run to their lawyers. They just don't grow up. On the other hand I've never been so much a victim of people's comments and the cancer of networking that exists in Vancouver. They destroyed my career. They destroyed my character. And they practically destroyed my family. And believe me I still have my teeth poised, positioned ready for the kill, the moment any evidence surfaces, and it's really a matter of time. It also helps that I'm now mid way through training to be a lawyer, but that's another story.

Not long after this I was approached by a different agent who I'd registered with 4 years before and never got much in terms of leads. They were putting me forward for a role with a prestigious company. My first thoughts were that it would be a waste of time. After landing an interview my thoughts turned to what point that the networking cancer would spread this far. In fact I almost thought the invite was a piss take. I seriously considered using a false name, although the agent had already presented me with the one I innocently gave them years before all of this BS happened (and no it's not CC, in case you were wondering).

I cannot tell you how traumatic an interview is when you've been destroyed. Having always been a highly confident person and getting the living crap kicked out of me, and now having to come over as confident is incredibly difficult. If you think you're shit, everyone else will. But how can convince others when you truly believe you are? Thinking that of yourself is a terrible thing, and believing it presents an almost impossible situation. This is a step far further than simply being knocked back a few paces. It's utter destruction of one's self.

One thing that helped me though, and I think this is possibly useful for others, is that I instantly found strong bonds with every one of the 3 interviewers. And I used those bonds to really gel with the people in the very short time I spent with them. It was a kind of serene experience, almost like at the end of the 60 minutes, we were all disappointed to be departing company.

I'd never really thought about this in the past. A successful interview before this, would be one in which I'd understand the challenges and deliver evidence in support of my strength in the role. I'd always had an extremely high success ratio, counting the number of failed interviews on a few fingers, in my whole career, which isn't a lot. But bonding instantly with people and then exploiting this bond I think helped immensely, although also made the consequences of rejection worse.

I was, however, invited back a few times and was finally offered the role. Although I perceived this employer to be completely outside my radar, I have been told that I've had a dramatic impact already. They say it's like I've been there years, which I took to be positive. This is turning out not only to be meaningful employment, but quite possibly the best job I ever had. And almost overnight I started recovering as a person. It was like my wounds which had been split open and full of maggots and gangrene were being healed and even a youthful complexion being restored. Ok that last point is stretching the imagination a bit but like an injury where it was so well restored that it had never happened.

There are many factors that determine an immigrant's happiness and each person will be different. No magic formula unfortunately. For the first time in 6 years I'm really starting to enjoy this place, finally, and no doubt that meaningful and fulfilling employment has been instrumental in this turnaround.

Circumstances can destroy even the strongest minds, and being an immigrant really challenges that, as the usual support network is not there. Luck is such a big part of survival, and although I think I've been unlucky with my start here, I think it's all turned around in 2011. Getting closure and even delivering that threat to the people who I suspect have made my life miserable, has all helped on a psychological level. Getting citizenship the same year, is going to make 2011 a landmark for so many reasons.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 7:56 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Turnaround of events (short story, but factual)

Originally Posted by canadian_critic
People on this forum often say an employed immigrant is a happy one.
So to cut a long post down, what you seem to be saying is "A happily employed immigrant is a happy immigrant"... which is what I've often said.

Its the happily that is the important bit.

Glad things have turned around for you, and I hope things stay good this time!
Old Aug 24th 2011, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
So to cut a long post down, what you seem to be saying is "A happily employed immigrant is a happy immigrant"... which is what I've often said.

Yes it was you who said that. Hopefully people won't mind the read to get to that point, although the post was a bit longer than I'd anticipated.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 8:14 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

2011 is a year on which you shall look back with undiluted pleasure. In the words of one of us, it has turned out to be your 'Annus Mirabilis'. Plus, if you didn't think 2011 could get any better, Selena Gomez is performing at the Rogers Arena in October.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 8:16 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
In the words of one of us, it has turned out to be your 'Annus Mirabilis'..
The Queen posts on expats? Really? Which one is she?. I know the Daily Mail would have you think the old place has gone to the dogs, but really, for the Queen to be considering a move, really, what next! Shell be wanting to be Queen of Canada or something no doubt. Oh, er , as you were...

[email protected], shouldnt be too hard to find in the profiles should it...
Old Aug 25th 2011, 2:54 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

first congrats on the new job. Secondly, i think the issues you had were more to do with, as you noted, being in a small niche market. Clearly you became the noisy wheel that attracted attention and unwanted attention at that.

I used to work in gaming and it was the same in that industry to, which is also fairly small, especially in management. The same level of backstabbing and outright sabotage also existed, nowhere more so than in the UK.

I've had my ups and downs over the years here. My first year was a mess with deportation proceedings launched against me. My small amount of savings were depleted and my marriage left bruised. I then began working and was laid off after less than a year. Eventually got a decent job and was the victim of persecution due to a few jealous sods at work.....13 year on things are great. Great job, new wife, new home, and an apprecaition of the good things about vancouver and less concern with or pre-occupation with the bad.

Life can be shit at times...but you have to rise above it. What doesn't kill you will make you stronger.

Perhaps it's time to change your name (perhaps Canadian convert) and accept that life can be crap anywhere at times, especially without decent work, good relationships and cheap cheese
Old Aug 25th 2011, 6:10 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be contacting my lawyers first thing in the morning. I demand the last 2 minutes of my life back

Edit: Oh, and congrats on the new job.

Edit 1.1: Any chance you could tell us what you did to your staff that made them hate your guts? I'm intrigued as there's always two sides to a story and this obviously has one. Dish the dirt. Go on. You know you want to. I've been in their situation before but didn't once blame my direct manager, mainly because he was a good guy. However, there have been some right twunts who i would gladly lay a speedbump in their career path.

Last edited by el_richo; Aug 25th 2011 at 6:29 am.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by el_richo
I'll be contacting my lawyers first thing in the morning. I demand the last 2 minutes of my life back

Edit: Oh, and congrats on the new job.

Edit 1.1: Any chance you could tell us what you did to your staff that made them hate your guts? I'm intrigued as there's always two sides to a story and this obviously has one. Dish the dirt. Go on. You know you want to. I've been in their situation before but didn't once blame my direct manager, mainly because he was a good guy. However, there have been some right twunts who i would gladly lay a speedbump in their career path.
LOL - I +1 this though I read slower so would like 4 minutes back. No smoke without fire
Old Aug 25th 2011, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

Similar thing happened to me, but it was my previous boss bad mouthing me. I had to move provinces in order to stay in the same industry. Changed company, and got a promotion out of it, so he did me a favour. My new company has just bought my old company, and happily my old boss will be reporting directly to me very soon but not for very long i suspect, karma is a great healer!!!
Old Aug 25th 2011, 9:03 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

The bleeding obvious stated in one of the longest threads I've seen. I'll be honest I read the first paragraph and then skipped to this response.

In essence the success of your immigration is heavily linked to the job you secure. Go figure...........

Last edited by JamesM; Aug 25th 2011 at 9:06 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 9:25 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I read the whole thing through, and to be honest, I'm not surprised you've struggled to find employment in your chosen field. You're rather... intense.

However, I'm happy that you're feeling a lot brighter now. If I could give you a piece of 'happy life' advice... give up on pursuing whatever action you're thinking of with your old employer. Sometimes jobs just don't work out. The End. You know what I'm saying?
Old Aug 25th 2011, 11:22 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dormy
Similar thing happened to me, but it was my previous boss bad mouthing me. I had to move provinces in order to stay in the same industry. Changed company, and got a promotion out of it, so he did me a favour. My new company has just bought my old company, and happily my old boss will be reporting directly to me very soon but not for very long i suspect, karma is a great healer!!!
yea i agree about Karma..what goes around comes around..but can also come back around depending on your own actions see above.

remember watch who you upset on the way up becuase you may will met them on the way back down.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 12:42 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Does this mean a name change is imminent?
Old Aug 28th 2011, 12:11 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

well after perusing some of his other postings on here, i think I would have fired his arse too:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=730041&page=3