Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

TSB bank - any issues with Canadian address?

TSB bank - any issues with Canadian address?

Old Jan 7th 2018, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

BexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond repute
Default TSB bank - any issues with Canadian address?

Hi,

My wife has a current bank account with TSB. When we came to Canada, she changed the registered address from our old home to my mother's address (UK). This was partly because we weren't sure how long we were staying in Canada, and partly because of potential "side-effects", as below.

Now that we're here permanently, for a number of reasons it would make sense to change the address to Canada. Does anyone know if TSB would be okay with this, or would they (say) require the account to be closed? My wife thinks they may at least stop the associated credit card.

I can't find the answer on their website and, for obvious reasons, would prefer not to call and ask them.

Thanks in advance.

BexB
Old Jan 7th 2018, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TSB bank - any issues with Canadian address?

I don't bank with TSB but a couple of other UK bank institutions, and none of them have any problem in dealing with a Canada address. I still have a valid UK credit and debit card too.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

BexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
I don't bank with TSB but a couple of other UK bank institutions, and none of them have any problem in dealing with a Canada address. I still have a valid UK credit and debit card too.
Thanks
Old Jan 7th 2018, 10:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

A number of us have continued with UK accounts doing exactly as you have mentioned.

Generally there should be no problem but a few have been told that was okay only to find that accounts were closed.

I have an impression that this has been happening much less than it used to though.

I think it is more likely to be an issue for non straightforward accounts - for example, the current account I set up when employed in the UK required a minimum monthly income (which I didn't meet but I persuaded them to allow it) so it's not your common or garden current account and I fear they may close it if I give a Canada address.

There are others on BE who have their Canadian addresses on their accounts and even have renewal cards sent to Canada.

I've been here over 13 years and they still have my mother's address for me.

I'd be worried if the address change feature on the website didn't allow for a Canadian postcode.

Another consideration is that some cards require you to let them know of "travel plans" so that they free up the card for use abroad.

I used to send my bank a secure email saying I may be using it for a cash withdrawal in my city between these dates and they used to thank me for telling them of my travel plans.

If the website allowed a Canadian address/postcode I think I'd be okay with it, otherwise I'd be influenced by how essential the UK account was. If you have a good credit limit in Canada (if you want one) then it's maybe less necessary to keep the UK one.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

As others said i've heard of accounts being closed due to foreign address. As for me I have my EU bank accounts associated to family member's address (the address on my national ID card) and anything sent there that I need forwarded on to me I pay the 20 EUR to have my family courier it to me here.

At one point I received a phone call immediately after using my Maltese credit card in Germany at the airport and I told them that I live in Canada so I will be using the card both locally and abroad on a regular basis, they just noted it on the account and left everything the same. But i've never attempted to have the actual address set to Canada.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 6:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad there was another post on this thread as I was reminded of another issue.

People seem to have a lot of difficulty opening a UK bank account from overseas, not only ahead of moving back but even after they're back and can't provide a utility bill to prove address because they only have a care of one.

So maintaining a UK bank account (incl credit card) not only has advantages in Canada, it has them if returning too. Of course if your UK bank is happy for you to provide an overseas address and doesn't suddenly close an account, then there's no problem.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

rawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond repute

And yet it is so dead easy to open a bank account in Canada before you even arrive!

When I moved to the UK it was very hard to open a bank account - even with my wife with me to vouch. Yet in Canada I was visiting with the wife and opened an account for her - we were only visiting!
Old Jan 16th 2018, 2:21 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by rawsalad
And yet it is so dead easy to open a bank account in Canada before you even arrive!

When I moved to the UK it was very hard to open a bank account - even with my wife with me to vouch. Yet in Canada I was visiting with the wife and opened an account for her - we were only visiting!
Yes, people have said they found it easy to do so in Canada. People have also said they found it impossible to do so.

Experiences are often contradictory.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Kentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond repute

We moved to Canada almost 27 years ago, we enquired back then about keeping our Barclays account in the UK and they said it would not be possible. Didn't really contest it but changed our address on the account to the mother in laws in the UK, she passed away 2 years ago so we switched the account address to the wife's cousins address also UK.
We are heading back to England for a holiday next month so I think I will walk into another Barclays branch and talk to them about setting up the account legitimately.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 6:14 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Kentonmag
We moved to Canada almost 27 years ago, we enquired back then about keeping our Barclays account in the UK and they said it would not be possible. Didn't really contest it but changed our address on the account to the mother in laws in the UK, she passed away 2 years ago so we switched the account address to the wife's cousins address also UK.
We are heading back to England for a holiday next month so I think I will walk into another Barclays branch and talk to them about setting up the account legitimately.
You might want to check Britain's Most Wanted lists first.
Attached Thumbnails TSB bank - any issues with Canadian address?-1-32.jpg  
Old Jan 18th 2018, 6:50 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

I am with HSBC UK and had no issues updating my address to Canada.

Although now they want me to self-certify my tax location as part of some government initiated database thing so (I am guessing) they can report my transactions to tax authorities - which I am sure I would have been exempted from if I kept my money in Panama or the Cayman Island
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Kentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
You might want to check Britain's Most Wanted lists first.
You never know
Old Jan 20th 2018, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo

Although now they want me to self-certify my tax location ..........
p
Hi
Have fun,
i self certified and they told me i dont live in canada,
i been here about 12 yrs now, and my acct address is canada

apparently according to them i live elsewhere but they wont tell me where i am

cheers
jerry