Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The truth about winter in Canada.

The truth about winter in Canada.

Old Mar 15th 2014, 10:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The truth about winter in Canada.

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Ah well. You've got to laugh, apparently.
Terrifying drive this afternoon. I'm used to it and I accept that collisions, possibly leading to injury or death, are inevitable in this climate. Still, driving along in blowing snow with no visibility gets wearing.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Terrifying drive this afternoon. I'm used to it and I accept that collisions, possibly leading to injury or death, are inevitable in this climate. Still, driving along in blowing snow with no visibility gets wearing.
If you were that scared then get off the road and stop being a mobile hazard to others , or in your world does "terrifying" mean everything was under control ?
Drivers and screwdrivers
Old Mar 16th 2014, 1:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
If you were that scared then get off the road and stop being a mobile hazard to others , or in your world does "terrifying" mean everything was under control ?
Drivers and screwdrivers
I'm no more of a hazard to others than they are to me. Less, in fact, as my vehicle is smaller and doesn't dump waves of snow on to the oncoming traffic. No vehicles are properly under control when the driver can't see the road ahead.

Life goes on though, it snows, but people still have to go places.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 6:20 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Fair enough, if you find yourself here but the point of the thread was to warn people from the UK who may be thinking they can just put on an extra pair of furry knickers and it'll be fine. It was't meant as a criticism of anyones situation.
I cannot help but agree. For 18 months before moving to Canada I looked at the weather forecast on a daily basis and watched the webcams at all different times...I thought I could cope, and I could last year, but this has been nasty.

It is now +2 outside, and the sun is streaming through my window and all is bright and jolly....but I can't let the dog out in the garden as the snow drifts have completely covered my gaden fence and the dog took off over it last night, I ran across the great white lawn to get him back and went into a drift that was up to my armpits, and flailed around a bit but couldn't get out...I felt stupid and very stuck, it was like being in candy floss, I just couldn't get purchase to get up. Thankfully my husband and son managed to get me out and the dog back, but it gave me a scare, had I been on my own I'd have been toast.

This winter has been the worst on record in Fredericton for 20 years...the Fredericton Gleaner said so yesterday. We have more snow forcast for the end of the week,with a big temperature plunge, and afterwards I am hoping that this sorry period will soon improve.

I am not a snow novice, and I have 'visited' other bits of Canada frequently, but the day to day to month by month toil of shoveling and trying to get to work etc, not fall on my bum too publicly...and yes dbd33 keep my car safely on the road when I feel me (and all the other drivers) are about to play bumper cars, has short circuited my sense of humour big time.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm no more of a hazard to others than they are to me. Less, in fact, as my vehicle is smaller and doesn't dump waves of snow on to the oncoming traffic. No vehicles are properly under control when the driver can't see the road ahead.

Life goes on though, it snows, but people still have to go places.
You sound like my worst kind of driver , pedaling along in their Sunfire/equally shitty noddy car with white knuckles wrapped around the steering wheel , nose against the windshield , totally petrified of their surroundings but justifying being there because everyone else is ,without having a clue what to do when the situation goes pear shaped .
Probably one of the muppets that relies on DLR lights because you can see the road ahead
Old Mar 17th 2014, 11:43 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
You sound like my worst kind of driver , pedaling along in their Sunfire/equally shitty noddy car with white knuckles wrapped around the steering wheel , nose against the windshield , totally petrified of their surroundings but justifying being there because everyone else is ,without having a clue what to do when the situation goes pear shaped .
Probably one of the muppets that relies on DLR lights because you can see the road ahead
Actually, I'm really quite keen on using lights at the rear of the car. Few people think of that, presumably because they don't control the ones at the front. There's a constant danger of running it the back of a vehicle that's moving slowly and is obscured by fog or blowing snow.

There's an equal danger, of course, of being shunted off the road by some drug crazed lunatic who's been at the wheel of his truck for days and is on my route to work only because the highway's been closed.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have to live in the rubbish part. Which in my opinion is anything between east of Main St and the Atlantic ocean.
Well that's progress at least. You admit there's a part that isn't rubbish!
Old Mar 17th 2014, 5:09 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Well that would depend on which part of the country obviously, but these statistics are from 25th February..(and we've had a few days of the same since then)
Winnipeg has had 71 days with a wind chill below -30 since Dec. 1, Environment Canada says. The wind chill value has gone below -40 for 29 of those days. And we’ve even had a day (Jan. 5) where the wind chill dipped to -51.

A little bit more than a few days I would have said..
I wouldn't want to live in Winnipeg either!

But as said, it's an atypical winter.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I wouldn't want to live in Winnipeg either!

But as said, it's an atypical winter.
Yep - and that's the key thing. Many areas are reporting their worst winter for 20-25 years. But some people seem eager to portray this winter as typical.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 9:18 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Yep - and that's the key thing. Many areas are reporting their worst winter for 20-25 years. But some people seem eager to portray this winter as typical.
If you look at the videos they're spaced out over three to four years. Plus, no one is "trying to portray" anything, we just want to warm people that the winters are much much harsher than in the UK and people should take care.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 9:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If you look at the videos they're spaced out over three to four years. Plus, no one is "trying to portray" anything, we just want to warm people that the winters are much much harsher than in the UK and people should take care.
You're both right. Avoid confusing weather with climate. This winter has seen untypical weather in most places in Canada (and for that matter in the US), but the climate is defined by the 30-year rolling average of the weather, so one year doesn't change it either way.

The winter climate in Canada remains as it was. Totally shitty.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

MrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really nice

So I should love it and take care.

Got it
Old Mar 18th 2014, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh I see now! You're entering some type of contest for Stating the Bleeding Obvious.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 4:25 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I see now! You're entering some type of contest for Stating the Bleeding Obvious.
Sure if you've lived here, not if you haven't.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 4:54 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

The one thing I would say is that weather forecasts in Alberta are total wank during the winter.

Anyone considering moving here based on monitoring the weather forecast should bear this in mind.

I think in most places the weather forecast is conservative, i.e. they say it's going to be 16 C but it turns out to be 18 C.

In Alberta they always say the "high" is going to be, say 8 C but if it gets there it touches it for about two seconds at 3pm in the afternoon.

Coming from Europe, you aren't used to that because it's more overcast. Calgary is extremely sunny with no cloud cover most of the time so whereas you might hit the high at 10am in London you don't hit it in Calgary until 3pm.

You get more information by looking at the forecast lows, not the highs.

I remember one time they got all excited that the high had reached 38 C I think it was, back around 2007 or 2008 during the summer. I happened to be standing outside in a parking lot at that exact moment, sure enough the wind stopped blowing and for a maximum of 20 minutes it got to 38 C and then the wind kicked in and it was back down to around 30 C at most.

Also coming from Europe they have this thing called "humidity" which is not present on the prairies during the winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.