Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The truth about winter in Canada.

The truth about winter in Canada.

Old Apr 1st 2014, 3:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The truth about winter in Canada.

Originally Posted by burks
Makes sense. I am used to assuming that the majority of people cannot drive to the conditions of the road, as that's generally what it's like here!
Fortunately, traffic is sparse. Most accidents I see are are single vehicle; collisions with animals or cars driven off the road (sometimes crashed, sometimes just in a field or ditch, I suppose the driver lost track of the location of the road). The one idiocy I see all the time is that very few drivers turn their lights on in fog, snow or darkness.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Dryden - in the bit of Ontario that everyone forgets about.
rob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of light

Springs here....... Not really. April Fools.
We had another 40cm dump of the white stuff yesterday.
This was the biggest storm we've seen yet and roads, schools, childcare, businesses are shut down while the clear up begins.
I even had to dig out my truck which got stuck on the drive as the snow was up to the door handles in places due to drifting.

It was +6 and melting on Sunday. Not impressed.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 9:21 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

If the weather was like this in the UK, we'd all have moved to Spain. Why do people move to Canada again?
Old Apr 1st 2014, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
If the weather was like this in the UK, we'd all have moved to Spain. Why do people move to Canada again?
Jobs and some marry Canadians
Old Apr 1st 2014, 10:46 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I would have stayed I love snow and winter sports. I can't wait to have a snow covered christmas
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 12:07 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Bats was polite....You are sounding insufferably smug...5 generations back my husband's mob took the long boat trip from Yorkshire to Kelona! Now here we are in our little bit of Arctic, via Africa, the Gulf and lots of other places...and YES I despise the weather, it's horrid, tomorrow is the first of April, and I can't let the dog in the back yard, as he could scramble straight over the fence. My husband has worked and lived in the high north for ages and Yellowknife in particular for years, but is finding this winter trying. I shovelled the drive this morning and got to work by 9, but then when I tried to get home, I could not get the car up my driveway...I am not a whimp, I am a fully functioning woman and I am watching my family and a couple from my neighbourhood fall apart...this has been an especial winter, but it has brought especial problems...for lots and lots of Canadians...God only knows how Expatriates, from wherever, are doing.
Your husbands mob had the right idea by moving to Kelowna. If the 5 generations since had stayed there you wouldn't be complaining about the weather in fact you would be quite happy at the fact that it is way more favourable weather than the UK. My advice....move back to where the original mob moved to first. People are always complaining about the weather in Canada but as many people keep pointing out there are parts of Canada that have way better weather than the UK. Golf courses have been open for over a month here and kids outdoor soccer has been going for a couple of weeks as per usual. Irrigation has been back on for a few weeks already and people are walking around in summer clothes. Life is too short to live in a location where the weather gets you down. To me, the location is the most important thing when emigrating. I have even had to use the AC in my truck the past few days. In the South Okanagan our winter runs from end Nov to mid March so not a big deal at all. Do you have any ties that would prevent you relocating to a part of Canada that has better weather? If not then that would be my advice.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 5:06 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, today appears to be the last day where it will be below freezing during the day and anymore snow will be the usual weather we get during the summer.

So can we stop talking about winter now. Until next winter of course.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 6:14 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Its really pretty in the fall, but by the 4th month of winter they have spent all their money on heating oil, thermal underwear and car insurance and cant afford to leave.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 10:17 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I just changed my winter tyres back to my normal summer tyres this afternoon. This means it will snow tomorrow in Kamloops.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 11:50 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

So we can visit America more easily, and then return back over the border feeling superior?
Old Apr 4th 2014, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF

I am (quite seriously) asking for a bit of help....it sounds so stupid, but things are really not going too well...I feel stuck
Aw Millie... As others have said we're here if you need us! I feel your pain I really do...

Sorry i'm late replying, busy week this week
I've missed BE.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 1:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
They had no choice though. They were born here (mostly)
Err... As a natural born Canadian with 3.5 years left and counting I have to disagree with you there orly... We most definetly have a choice. That is if we have dual citizenship... (which I will soon hopefully) We can't get work permits anywhere permanently as Canadians...

Though I will agree with you on the fact that there aren't many natural born Canadians that leave this place, although I hope to be one of the few that do...
Old Apr 4th 2014, 2:28 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Err... As a natural born Canadian with 3.5 years left and counting I have to disagree with you there orly... We most definetly have a choice. That is if we have dual citizenship... (which I will soon hopefully) We can't get work permits anywhere permanently as Canadians...

Though I will agree with you on the fact that there aren't many natural born Canadians that leave this place, although I hope to be one of the few that do...
Haven't really kept up with your posts. Why are you intentionally leaving Canada? Is Malta that good? (I'm assuming that's where you're going)
Old Apr 4th 2014, 3:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
It's not that rare. Lots of Canadians move to the US, for the weather, for career advancement for myriad reasons. Canadians who want to teach move to the UK or the far east.

Two of my children left, one for excitement, one for the benefit of living in a welfare state. The one who remained is indifferent to excitement and lives in Vancouver.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.