Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The truth about winter in Canada.

The truth about winter in Canada.

Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:22 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The truth about winter in Canada.

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Deci-year? We already have a word for that i.e. decade.

Neatly splitting thread themes again, there is much to be said about the concept of "decimal time". We need to get rid of this 60 secs per min, 60 mins per hour, 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, 52 weeks or 12 months a year nonsense. Can we ever be truly decimal until we do?

We need 100 decimal seconds per decimal minute, 100 decimal minutes per decimal hour and 10 decimal hours per day. So 100,000 decimal seconds per day. 10 decimal months a year. Think of how easy that would make adding and subtracting time! Of course we're still stuck with 365.25 days per year but you can't have everything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_time
Nah -deci- is a division, deca- is the multiple. A deci-year would be 36 1/2 days.

We can blame the Babylonians for all the base-60 stuff. It was they who invented time divisions the way they're used now. The revolutionary French tried to change to a decimal system but it was a huge and expensive flop. About the only remaining vestige of that is Lobster Thermidor, named for the eleventh month of the Republican Calendar. Three ten-week days in each of twelve months; even then it was considered impractical to make ten months of 36 or 37 days each, as it would make the decimal weeks not work so well.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:48 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
no one, not even immigrants from metric countries, not even teenagers educated in Canada, says there was n centimes of snow on the driveway.
I'm sure they don't but I use centimetres.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 5:04 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it, this mess exists in Canada because the government believed that the US was going metric and wanted to comply. Well, bless the Canadians for being so accomodating, but that was rather naive.
I thought it was because the Commonwealth was going metric. But looking it up apparently both the US and the Commonwealth wanted to go metric.

Legally speaking the US is supposedly metric.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_Canada

The one thing that annoys me is that most things sold in Canada are US-spec then put into metric, so a can of pop for example is 355ml or you can buy milk in a 3.78 litre jug. And then also I've been in the hardware store and things are sold in some weird US measurement like so many sixteenths of an inch of whatever and there's simply a table hung on the wall saying what it is in metric.

So this is how it's going to be until the US changes.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 5:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I thought it was because the Commonwealth was going metric. But looking it up apparently both the US and the Commonwealth wanted to go metric.

Legally speaking the US is supposedly metric.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_Canada

The one thing that annoys me is that most things sold in Canada are US-spec then put into metric, so a can of pop for example is 355ml or you can buy milk in a 3.78 litre jug. And then also I've been in the hardware store and things are sold in some weird US measurement like so many sixteenths of an inch of whatever and there's simply a table hung on the wall saying what it is in metric.

So this is how it's going to be until the US changes.
Until Canada changes back, surely.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 5:21 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Well 3.78 litres is a US gallon so I'm assuming Canada isn't going to become part of the US.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 6:10 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Picture of winter in Canada and a strangely converted speed limit sign.
Attached Thumbnails The truth about winter in Canada.-speed-limit.jpg  
Old Mar 19th 2014, 6:23 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Thats Canada in a nutshell, snow, ugly buildings, mindlessly applied rules and metrification for the sake of it!
Old Mar 19th 2014, 7:05 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

For me,
Temperature is Celsius - I don't understand Fahrenheit, at all.
For me a temperature jump from 78 to 85 says more than from 25 to 29. And 90 means a lot more than 32.

Conversely a drop from 15 to -2 says more about how cold it's become than 59 to 28. Below zero means more than just another 2-digit number.

When it hits -40 it's all the same.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 7:12 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

I can honestly say that I've never heard a person mention metric snow. There's a lot of confused babbling in the office "15 centilitres are coming, how much is that?" that sort of thing, because the forecast is metric but, IME, no one, not even immigrants from metric countries, not even teenagers educated in Canada, says there was n centimes of snow on the driveway. Like penises, snow is measured in inches.
Haven't spoken to me or my colleagues then. We use both centimetres and inches when talking about snow. Then again, as web designers, we're used to using multiple units to describe things as a matter of course.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 7:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
For me a temperature jump from 78 to 85 says more than from 25 to 29. And 90 means a lot more than 32.

Conversely a drop from 15 to -2 says more about how cold it's become than 59 to 28. Below zero means more than just another 2-digit number.

When it hits -40 it's all the same.
I use Fahrenheit for numbers above freezing and Centigrade for ones below.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Thats Canada in a nutshell, snow, ugly buildings, mindlessly applied rules and metrification for the sake of it!
Yup
Old Mar 19th 2014, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah but even stranger when you consider that 10.32km/h is actually 6.4125507 mph! So maybe it's a novelty sign rather than a conversion from mph?
Old Mar 19th 2014, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
The UK must be complete pants if you prefer that over moving back to the UK!
Old Mar 19th 2014, 8:44 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
The UK must be complete pants if you prefer that over moving back to the UK!
I like snow. And mindlessly applied rules. I was a mod donchaknow
Old Mar 19th 2014, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

I just had a conversation with an engineer about a 3 metre length of 8" pipe. this is normal, the length is in metric, the diameter in imperial.

For me,
  • Temperature is Celsius - I don't understand Fahrenheit, at all.
  • Speed is mph, but I'm OK with kph
  • Fuel consumption is mpg, the L/100km unit is just plain daft.
  • Lengths are metric, although I am OK with inches between 1-12". Below 1", use mm...none of this 7/16ths of an inch nonsense please.
  • Volume is metric - I understand litres amd m3, not cubic yards or gallons.
  • Weight is metric, apart from personal weight which is lbs or stones/lbs.
  • Beer is pints, and a pint is 568ml, not a short pint which is I don't know exactly what.
  • Land is acres, I can't picture a hectare. I know that a football pitch is about 2 acres, and that's my rule of thumb for measurement. I'd prefer it if the unit of 'acre' was actually replaced with the unit of 'footbal pitch'.
Sums it up perfectly! This post officially makes more sense to me than approximately 66.67% of the others I have read of late

Hubby works in engineering, he had to get all new micrometers and other measuring bits when we moved here. He's the one that hunts out the tape measure that has both measurements on it to avoid confusion. We both work in metric for some things and imperial for others I think. I was born after metriculation so for the most part I have no idea why I even do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.