Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The truth about winter in Canada.

The truth about winter in Canada.

Old Mar 13th 2014, 4:45 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The truth about winter in Canada.

Originally Posted by Oink
I'm impressed with the honesty of opinion on here of those who actually live in Canada. I really think people who are thinking about moving here need to realize how harsh and brutal the winters are here. You obviously can survive them but why would any choose to do so. Its not going to be like a couple of weeks of holiday skiing in the Pyrenees.
Yeah but how many winters did you go through in the UK, I wouldn't want to be in the floods there. Your experience of elsewhere isn't the same as the experience of most people on here.

Having said that I do think a lot of Europeans who move to Canada have this vague idea that it will be winter but a longer winter, they have no concept of what it's like when it gets down below -23 (walk-in freezer temperature). -5 is mild weather in Calgary.

On the prairies it is extremely dry.

A Texan Moves North in January

January 10th:
It's 5:00pm and it's starting to snow. The first of the season and the first one we've seen in years. The wife and I took our hot buttered rum and sat by the picture window watching the soft flakes drift down, cling to the trees and cover the ground. It was beautiful.

January 11th:
We woke to a lovely blanket of crystal white snow covering the landscape. What a fantastic sight. Every tree and shrub covered with a beautiful mantle. I shoveled snow for the first time in my life and loved it. I did both driveway and sidewalk. Later, a snowplow came along and accidentally covered up the driveway with compacted snow from the street. The driver waved and smiled. I waved back and shoveled again.

January 12th:
It snowed an additional 5 inches last night and the temperature has dropped to 11 degrees F. Several tree limbs have snapped from the snow. I shoveled the drive again. Afterward, the snowplow came again. Now the snow is brownish-gray.

January 13th:
It warmed enough today to cause slush which froze again when the temperature dropped. Bought snow tires for both cars. Fell on my ass in the driveway, $145.00 to the chiropractor. Nothing broken. More snow.

January 14th:
Still cold as hell. Sold the wife's car. Bought a 4x4 to get her to work. Slid into a guardrail anyway with considerable damage. Another 8 inches of snow last night. Both vehicles covered with salt and crud. More shoveling for me. The goddam snowplow came twice today. Grr!!

January 15th:
It's 8 freaking degrees outside. More freaking snow. Not a tree on our property that hasn't been damaged. Power was off most of the night. Tried to keep from freezing to death with candles and a kerosene heater, which tipped over and nearly burned the dam house down. Managed to put out the flames, but suffered 2nd degree burns on my hands plus lost all my eyelashes and eyebrows. Car slid off the road on the way to the emergency room, and totaled it.

January 16th:
More goddam white shit keeps coming down. Have to put on all the clothes we own just to get to the freaking mailbox. If I ever catch the son-of-a-bitch who drives that godforsaken snowplow, I'll tear open his chest and rip his heart out. I think he hides around the corner till after I've shoveled. Power is still off. Toilet froze. Roof has started to cave in.

January 17th:
Six more inches of this white crap and sleet and no telling what the hell else will happen. I wounded the snowplow asshole with an ice ax, but he got away. Wife left me. The car won't start. I think I'm going snow-blind. I can't feel my damn toes, and I haven't seen the sun in weeks and more damn snow forecast. Wind chill is 22 below.

Dammit, I'm moving back to Texas!
Which isn't far off if you live near one of Great Lakes.

Old Mar 13th 2014, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

MrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really nice

I've heard the testimonies from Canadian friends of what it's really like - the pain in your throat when the air is -40, when your face mask freezes on your head...

But then I love extreme weather. Massive storm? I'm outside in it. Of course I know I won't ever be completely prepared, but I just get on with it. And love it
Old Mar 13th 2014, 5:16 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrFloyd
I've heard the testimonies from Canadian friends of what it's really like - the pain in your throat when the air is -40, when your face mask freezes on your head...

But then I love extreme weather. Massive storm? I'm outside in it. Of course I know I won't ever be completely prepared, but I just get on with it. And love it
You can do that for a couple of months, but things like being unable to escape the snow for month and months can wear your enthusiasm down after a while.

The first big dump in Ontario was back in Mid/ Late November IIRC. There has been no time since then that was snow free. Just as we thought spring was in sight we had another 6 inches yesterday, with temps dropping near -20 overnight. Long term forcast still subzero "highs" for the next 14 days with more snow forecast for the end of March. I will get on with it, but Im not loving it anymore, even if its been a bumper ski season.

Then again, this year has been exceptionally wintery, more like what I expected when I came here if Im honest.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 5:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrFloyd
And love it
There are aspects you won't love (features of life in Ontario, perhaps not elsewhere).

One I don't care for is the continuous string of car accidents. Today, for example, a bunch of colleagues gave up on coming to work because highway 401 was blocked by an accident. Yesterday lots of people didn't turn up because of a number of accidents. Driving anywhere gets to be a bother.

Another is the frequent power outages. One has a generator, of course, but it's a pain that whenever there's a rain or ice storm there's the need to go out and start the thing.

Falling down gets irritating, one is forever having to wash or dry clean trousers.

On the other hand, there's lots of iced hockey.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Obviously much depends on what it is you want to do and other circumstances.

But if you dress well and public transport is good or you do drive (I don't) then you still get out and about.

If it really does stop you doing what you want it may well not stop you doing what you want any more than the rain does with a three year old or not.
Another disagreement with that here.

Public transport here is appalling, so that's not an option. The distances we need to go are way too far for a 2 year old to walk, so that's not an option either. Hubby uses our car for work, so that's not an option and we're stuck with just the stroller.

Puddles are a lot easier to navigate than this. You can use a raincover to stop the kids getting wet, but they won't get frostbite in British rain. Granted, it's not always pleasant, but it's never impassable like here has been.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 6:13 pm
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of

I love the Canadian winter and I'm living way up north in Quebec so summer barely exists. I think how a person copes with winter also depends on if they enjoy winter activities. I don't mind the snow because snow means snowboarding, snowshoeing, skidooing, etc but I imagine it would be particularly grinding for people who like warmer activities (I miss outdoors running for example). That being said, sometimes I think about moving down to Montreal where it's warmer (despite their complaints about the cold! ) and they actually have a summer.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 6:26 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
This has been a particularly bad winter, the worst in twenty years, so no this is not the reality - it is an aberration.
Those videos show the last three years.

Originally Posted by Steve_
Yeah but how many winters did you go through in the UK, I wouldn't want to be in the floods there. Your experience of elsewhere isn't the same as the experience of most people on here.
A bit of drizzle and 8c is hardly the same as minus 40 and 10ft high snow drifts for 5 months.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 6:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Nope, have to disagree. It borders on dangerous and nobody likes going out with a toddler in -50 wind chill, dressed properly or not when you have to wade through knee high snow, carrying them cos they simply can't walk through it. And she is crying because no matter how much you rug up some part of them is getting exposed.
Rain, well you can walk in that. You might get wet but you are unlikely to have parts of you fall off from frostbite.
I think you ought to read what I said again. I wasn't suggesting you go out with a toddler at 50 below.
I said much would depend on circumstances and that could include having a 3 year old or being a lone traveler.

I was making the point that where it stopped one doing what one wanted to do, so might something else - hence my reference to not wanting to go out in the rain.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 6:40 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It's just taken my nephew and his wife 5 and a half hours to get from St. Catherine's to Hamilton.

Crazy.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 6:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
Another disagreement with that here.

Public transport here is appalling, so that's not an option. The distances we need to go are way too far for a 2 year old to walk, so that's not an option either. Hubby uses our car for work, so that's not an option and we're stuck with just the stroller.
Hence my qualification that it depends on circumstances.

If you don't have a kid or public transport is good or you have access to other transport these things are not a problem.

As it happens, nobody in our household drives and my wife is a wheelchair user outside the home so I'm used to problems that don't affect others.

Without my wife we use the bus - because there's a good service for us - and with her we use taxis or go on foot/wheels if it's local enough.

Weather permitting.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Cabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the roughCabbagetown is a jewel in the rough

the winter never bothered me. That's part of Canada. I actually immigrated from a country where winters are similar. So, having or not having salt on the roads, and rusting cars in summer, shoveling snow as well as cold winds were already known to me.

I guess, Immigrants from Latin America, Africa and Asia have more of an issue with that.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 7:08 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cabbagetown
the winter never bothered me. That's part of Canada. I actually immigrated from a country where winters are similar. So, having or not having salt on the roads, and rusting cars in summer, shoveling snow as well as cold winds were already known to me.

I guess, Immigrants from Latin America, Africa and Asia have more of an issue with that.
Really, the winter never bothers you?
Old Mar 13th 2014, 7:10 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

If we get one bad winter out of 5 then that's ok. We been lucky last five years, this is obviously payback year
Old Mar 13th 2014, 8:01 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I think that maybe this year has just been a bit of a swine....it has snowed solidly all day today, and we've cleared the driveway and steps three times and I still can't see them! It's showing no signs of stopping...I refused to move to Calgary, where we have family, because I couldn't cope with the snow! Now they are sending me sympathetic e-mails

All of the Maritimers are complaining big time....which makes me feel much better I got stuck today in a car park in a Jeep outside Starbucks, and the Canadian lady I was with said she only remembered one storm worse in the last 15 years or so....we were very stuck.

I just miss walking, I go to a gymn...but the hamster wheel is not the same...I am getting decidedly podgy...I know because my husband mentioned it! ....he should soon make a full recovery and be back to shovelling shortly...
Old Mar 13th 2014, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF

All of the Maritimers are complaining big time....which makes me feel much better I got stuck today in a car park in a Jeep outside Starbucks, and the Canadian lady I was with said she only remembered one storm worse in the last 15 years or so....we were very stuck.

Not ALL of the Maritimers are complaining... here on the South Shore it's 8 degrees and no snow on the ground any more, We had some rain last night but that was it.
crocus are up but haven't opened yet ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.