Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The truth about winter in Canada.

The truth about winter in Canada.

Old Mar 13th 2014, 12:06 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The truth about winter in Canada.

We had the first warm spell up here in northern Alberta yesterday, with temps above 0C, meaning that the conditions are atrocious. Filthy, dirty, slushy, skiddy... it still freezes again overnight so it's like a skating rink in the morning.

All our heavy traffic means that the ruts are 4' deep within an hour of the temperature getting above zero.

Still, the first signs of spring are definitely here... the first crop of cigarette butts were appearing through the snow yesterday.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 12:55 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I had an 8am dental appointment this morning. It would have taken me close to an hour to get there, by buses. The windchill is -30.

I didn't go. I'll be charged but f*** it.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

You can always go back to the UK....

The truth about winter in Canada.-tewkesbury-floods.jpg
Old Mar 13th 2014, 1:29 pm

fabretti18 is an unknown quantity at this point

We can't generalise about the weather in Canada, it's just too big a country. But so far it's tended to the extreme here in central AB. Most locals say it's been one of the coldest winters for several years. Plus December having way more snow than is usual.
That said I find the dry cold manageable since I dress accordingly, obviously and from a work point of view (farming) at least when the grounds that frozen you can move around on it with tractors etc. and get livestock fed. It's only now that it's been above freezing for a couple of days that it's getting awkward, in fact horrendous. The mud reminds me a bit of back home in Scotland throughout the winter.....they've also had their wettest winter on record.
I guess my point is that it depends what you do and how you deal with it. And at least out here in Canada it plays a straight hand, you can usually predict what the seasons are going to be like and be prepared. And the sun shines longer....even in winter.

It does feel strange though to be ouside working in a shirt when it's only 8 degrees C as my body/brain has been used to -15 to -40 for what seems like an eternity
Old Mar 13th 2014, 2:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
...shovelling copious amounts of snow off their driveways at mind numbing minus 40C temperatures....Experiencing at first hand the effects windchill
Shoveling snow is irritating and sometimes hard work. But judging by the incomes referred to on this forum why aren't more people paying someone to do it? Christ, even I can afford to pay for the necessary clearances when I don't fancy tackling it.

It's certainly depressing when the end of winter approaches, the roads and sidewalks are clear and you notice it doesn't seem as cold out - even though it's still 10 below - and then more damn snow arrives.

But how much does it really prevent you from doing what you want to do compared to living in the UK?

You get tickets for Wimbledon and then it's rained off for your day. Or took time off work to watch it on TV and find yourself with a repeat of a match from two years ago.

Same thing with the cricket. Or it's bucketing down with rain as you walk from where you parked to the football ground. Or cinema. Or day trip to London.

In my list of the downside of Canada, climate isn't that high up.

Perhaps I feel differently because the wife and kids have never known anything else and their "it's Canada" approach has rubbed off on me. Maybe I'm also biased because living here meant I could pack in working for a living.

I get more concerned when it's hurricane season.

Last edited by BristolUK; Mar 13th 2014 at 2:12 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 2:25 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I'm impressed with the honesty of opinion on here of those who actually live in Canada. I really think people who are thinking about moving here need to realize how harsh and brutal the winters are here. You obviously can survive them but why would any choose to do so. Its not going to be like a couple of weeks of holiday skiing in the Pyrenees.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 2:29 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Ive been here 15 years now. I generally like winter, blue skies, crisp mornings, snow to ski, ice to skate on.

This winter has been the hardest yet in terms of snow and cold spells, the novelty is wearing off. But you cant do anything about it so you may as well embrace it. If you dont want to clear the snow, pay someone else to do it. Go skiing, when its too cold curl up by the fire with a hot chocolate or Brandy.

Before you know it it it will be July and too hot to move without sweating and the mozzies will make doing anything outside a living hell anyway
Old Mar 13th 2014, 2:30 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Iou obviously can survive them but why would any choose to do so. .
For the kids of course
Old Mar 13th 2014, 2:48 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I'm impressed with the honesty of opinion on here of those who actually live in Canada. I really think people who are thinking about moving here need to realize how harsh and brutal the winters are here. You obviously can survive them but why would any choose to do so. Its not going to be like a couple of weeks of holiday skiing in the Pyrenees.
The added bonus is if you move you have something else to whine about, you should try it. It would give an added string to your bow.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

But how much does it really prevent you from doing what you want to do compared to living in the UK?

You get tickets for Wimbledon and then it's rained off for your day. Or took time off work to watch it on TV and find yourself with a repeat of a match from two years ago.

Same thing with the cricket. Or it's bucketing down with rain as you walk from where you parked to the football ground. Or cinema. Or day trip to London.

In my list of the downside of Canada, climate isn't that high up.

Perhaps I feel differently because the wife and kids have never known anything else and their "it's Canada" approach has rubbed off on me. Maybe I'm also biased because living here meant I could pack in working for a living.

I get more concerned when it's hurricane season.
But it does tend to stop you doing things when you get up to environment Canada frostbite warnings every day and you don't drive. -40 feels like -50 is pretty bad for travelling by public transport with a 3yr old.
Yes it rains a lot in Scotland and can be a bit on the 'nippy' side but not to the point that your fingers would fall off if they were uncovered for 5 minutes or less...
But people keep telling us this is the worst winter on record for over 80 years. Let's hope next year isn't as bad.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

This is the first winter I've really had issues to be honest, but my life has also changed and I have a different perspective on it. Until last year, my oldest was at nursery school with a friend's child so she would take him on days when the weather was too bad to walk, although having said that, I think it was only 2-3 times last year. This year, the oldest is in JK, so I have to drag a toddler with us to the bus stop twice a day and then try and get him to nursery on foot, most weeks this year he's been lucky to make it even once. We shovel our snow, but that doesn't do us much good when nobody else does their sidewalk. Our road hasn't even been plowed for the last 4 snowfalls, so we struggle to get as far as the end of the street let alone further. On the colder days, despite layers of blankets, snow suit etc. he's been screaming he's so cold, so then the big one misses school too as it's not fair to take them out. We don't usually have a car during the week unless we rent one and I'm not looking forward to winter with 3 little ones here with just a stroller for transport.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 3:07 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

The winter in my neck of the woods has not been anything special. So far, we've had an amount of snow that is about average for an Ottineau winter (OK, we have a few weeks of winter left). I don't think many temperature records have been set. What has happened, though, is that it's been relentlessy cold. There have not been the warm snaps that we usually get.

I am utterly sick of it now. I think I have the winter blues. I know that I have to go out later to shovel the (ever-narrowing) driveway. I will have to force myself to do it.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 3:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I am utterly sick of it now. I think I have the winter blues. I know that I have to go out later to shovel the (ever-narrowing) driveway. I will have to force myself to do it.
We now have wet snow, a lot of it. I cleared the driveway last night and, this morning, thought there was a 50/50 chance of being able to blast along it without clearing it again. As I stood there with the dog, watching him squirt ice cubes and pondering whether or not to try it, the plough came along. I started clearing.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter is a 3rd year student in London, Ontario. They had no real winter in her first 2 years there and she was wondering what all the fuss was about. After I'd spent a small fortune buying her a decent coat and boots, she hardly needed them those first 2 winters. I think this winter is possibly the worst in that area for 25 years. Last winter was mild for most of Canada. 2009/10 was the warmest winter on record. So it's not like it's like this every year.

By the way, we've had unusually cold temperatures and lots of snow here in Maryland this winter. I get sick of removing ice and snow sometimes. It's hardly just a Canadian phenomenon.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 3:24 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
As I stood there with the dog, watching him squirt ice cubes and pondering whether or not to try it.
I wouldn't even consider it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.