Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The truth about Vancouver

The truth about Vancouver

Old Oct 21st 2016, 1:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The truth about Vancouver

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I doubt very much that the vast majority of them would identify as being "middle class", whatever that means
Well, they're not working class and they are the sort of people who have to buy their own furniture, so I don't know how else one might refer to them.

I grudgingly apologise, btw, to anyone coming to this thread thinking that there's an exciting truth to be told about Vancouver. Grudgingly because, good grief, it's in Canada, what exciting truth did you think there could be?

Last edited by dbd33; Oct 21st 2016 at 1:51 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 3:05 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
When you say broadening access I'm not sure if you're referring to fee's or grammar schools, but I'd disagree on both. Statistics show that since fees have increased less low income families are going to university. Recent statistics on grammar schools show that even with the current system of offering places to local children from poor areas; the majority of grammar schools have around 5% of students from local poor areas.

I think the system is definitely about the sustained push to eliminate the middle class.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 3:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

What caused the dip in applications in 2012?
Old Oct 21st 2016, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ions-drop-ucas
Old Oct 21st 2016, 3:35 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The dramatic rise in tuition fees from 3K to 9k that came into effect in Sept of 2012. The UK HE system is one that is still in the process of structural change so it hasn't quite found a consistent and predictable level. There's going to have to be differentiated fees. Like it or not, the market value of an Oxbridge education is not the same as the University of Watermouth.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 3:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Oink
The dramatic rise in tuition fees from 3K to 9k that came into effect in Sept of 2012. The UK HE system is one that is still in the process of structural change so it hasn't quite found a consistent and predictable level. There's going to have to be differentiated fees. Like it or not, the market value of an Oxbridge education is not the same as the University of Watermouth.
Ah, I did wonder if asking a lot of money for something that was previously reasonably priced might have suppressed demand. I note from MarylandNed's link that the government said it did not, which confirmed for me that it did.

I would expect differentiated fees to result in the expensive schools selling their product to people from abroad, savvy parents moving to Scotland and a loss of social mobility for the remainder of the population. The children of the well off would be able to attend second tier schools while the rest of us would be stuck with the University of East Anglia and the like.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 4:09 pm

Ah, I did wonder if asking a lot of money for something that was previously reasonably priced might have suppressed demand. I note from MarylandNed's link that the government said it did not, which confirmed for me that it did.

I would expect differentiated fees to result in the expensive schools selling their product to people from abroad, savvy parents moving to Scotland and a loss of social mobility for the remainder of the population. The children of the well off would be able to attend second tier schools while the rest of us would be stuck with the University of East Anglia and the like.
HE institutions are resource sucking black holes and governments are always looking to transfer resources to more politically beneficial areas so like it or not, the genie is out of the bottle when it comes to tuition costs.
I'm not sure there will be a rise in international students because they are already being charged much higher fees. And it is a maxim in HE, that international students are considered the cash cow. As for the rest of us, is it not better for us to be stuck in the University of East Anglia rather than stuck down a coalmine or stuck on an assembly line pressing rivets on jeans for 10 hours a day?
Old Oct 21st 2016, 4:29 pm

I grudgingly apologise, btw, to anyone coming to this thread thinking that there's an exciting truth to be told about Vancouver. Grudgingly because, good grief, it's in Canada, what exciting truth did you think there could be?
And getting back on topic, I agree with this. The only reason Vancouver gets so much attention is that the rest of Canada is such a shithole.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 4:33 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

As for the rest of us, is it not better for us to be stuck in the University of East Anglia rather than stuck down a coalmine or stuck on an assembly line pressing rivets on jeans for 10 hours a day?
But it's only putting off the mine or the assembly line (if either still exist in the UK) for 3 or 4 years and costs perhaps 40-50K.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
But it's only putting off the mine or the assembly line (if either still exist in the UK) for 3 or 4 years and costs perhaps 40-50K.
Yeah, but you can always while away the oppressive drudgery with an entertaining discussion about Weber or Mcluhan or whatever they teach in those newfangled plate glass institutions.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Is a qualification from expensive schools actually worth more than an identical qualification from less expensive schools?

While I am confident that someone in academia will provide me with a piece of research that shows it does, I recall from a legal case that I was once involved with that a similar piece of research showed that those that were offered places at a school in the US (I believe it was Yale, Harvard or some similar institution) but turned the place down actually earned slightly more than their peers that accepted the place.

Now, I have no idea if those institutions are expensive, but, from what has been stated above, I have inferred that they are.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 6:17 pm

Is a qualification from expensive schools actually worth more than an identical qualification from less expensive schools?

While I am confident that someone in academia will provide me with a piece of research that shows it does, I recall from a legal case that I was once involved with that a similar piece of research showed that those that were offered places at a school in the US (I believe it was Yale, Harvard or some similar institution) but turned the place down actually earned slightly more than their peers that accepted the place.

Now, I have no idea if those institutions are expensive, but, from what has been stated above, I have inferred that they are.
I don't have specific data but there are many variables to consider in the cost-benefit of particular degree at a particular institution.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have specific data but there are many variables to consider in the cost-benefit of particular degree at a particular institution.
I don't doubt that at all.

In England I worked with some that had degrees from Oxbridge. Some of them were good lawyers, some of them were bad lawyers. The same could be said about those that obtained their law degrees from other universities.

While I accept that gaining entrance to such an institution may be a badge of honour for some, from my experience (and I appreciate that my sample size was relatively small) it had no bearing whatsoever upon their abilities once out of university and, therefore, their earning potential in law firms.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 9:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but you can always while away the oppressive drudgery with an entertaining discussion about Weber or Mcluhan or whatever they teach in those newfangled plate glass institutions.
I think it's mostly basket weaving and how to flip burgers in a way to catch the eye.

Oh, and barista training.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 12:09 am
Assimilated Pauper

no bearing whatsoever upon their abilities once out of university and, therefore, their earning potential in law firms.
Surely the one doesn't follow from the other, people don't earn more because they are more able but because they sell more (and they sell more for a variety of reasons. Connections, perhaps made at the right university, are an important factor).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.