Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it true there is no healthcare wait time in Alberta?

Is it true there is no healthcare wait time in Alberta?

Old Mar 8th 2011, 2:41 pm
mcm
Just Joined

mcm is a name known to allmcm is a name known to allmcm is a name known to allmcm is a name known to allmcm is a name known to allmcm is a name known to allmcm is a name known to allmcm is a name known to allmcm is a name known to allmcm is a name known to allmcm is a name known to all
Default Is it true there is no healthcare wait time in Alberta?

I've been browsing posts on this but just can seem to find a straight yes or no answer, so please excuse me if this has ben covered loads of time - is it true that if arriving in Alberta as a PR you don't need to wait three months to register for healthcare. That being the case, does that mean I can go to the office the day we arrive, register and the family is covered? Guess I would probably need proof of an Alberta address?

Keen to know as my 11 month old daughter is a big bad of sick in general and we're reasonably confident she will fall ill in no time at all on arrival in Calgary. We land in just over two weeks, so thinking about insurance and there is a big difference in price between 3 months and a few days?
Old Mar 8th 2011, 2:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it true there is no healthcare wait time in Alberta?

Yes, but you must register.

http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/Q-moving.html

Moving to and from Canada?

If you are moving or returning to Alberta from outside Canada, you may be eligible for coverage on the date of your arrival. To ensure coverage, you must register within three months of arrival. Newcomers to Canada are required to present a copy of their Canada entry document. Please contact us for more information if you or your dependants hold temporary immigration documents.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

True but to register you must have the required documents http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/Q...uirements.html
Old Mar 8th 2011, 3:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

So proof of Alberta address would be needed first (Swap your Driving licence first I guess), along with UK passport and paper record of landing.

I think you will be OK with a temp paper driving license as long as it has your address, shouldnt have to wait for the official "credit card" type license or PR card?
Old Mar 8th 2011, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
So proof of Alberta address would be needed first (Swap your Driving licence first I guess), along with UK passport and paper record of landing.

I think you will be OK with a temp paper driving license as long as it has your address, shouldnt have to wait for the official "credit card" type license or PR card?
A driving licence doesn't give an address that is acceptable for registering for healthcare. Ones needs a lease agreement, document showing a house purchase, etc. A hotel address, for example, is fine for a driving licence, but not for healthcare.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 9:51 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting that that is the case in Alberta . In Ontario you can use the temp driving license.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

True

BUT make sure you get all the documents in order. If you're unlucky and you're missing something you will get a busybody who will check and you could be sent back scurrying around to find the right piece of paper. Welcome to life as an immigrant.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:14 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Took us 4 attempts to get OHIP

But other than that I've actually found bureaucracy easier to deal with here than in the UK
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Took us 4 attempts to get OHIP

But other than that I've actually found bureaucracy easier to deal with here than in the UK
LOL. Customer service in Toronto is EXCELLENT. You should come out to Calgary for a visit to see how the other half lives.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:29 pm
Professional Cat herder

But I thought Toronto was Canada !!!

<runs and ducks for cover>
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
But I thought Toronto was Canada !!!

<runs and ducks for cover>
LOL.

(laughing only because I don't have to live in Toronto any more)...
Old Mar 9th 2011, 12:57 am
Professional Cat herder

Originally Posted by xxdb
LOL.

(laughing only because I don't have to live in Toronto any more)...
Also laughing because I don't have to visit calgary ever again