Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Temporary entry into Canada, cost of living and self employ?

Temporary entry into Canada, cost of living and self employ?

Old Aug 23rd 2018, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

lastchance is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temporary entry into Canada, cost of living and self employ?

I am a UK Citizen. I have my company in the UK and I also have my company ins the US however my US visa is expiring REALLY soon and unable to get it renewed, but trying other avenues.
I need to be close to the US for many reasons and thought staying in Canada would be the best option.

I am wondering for someone like me, an entrepreneur, is there a way I can start my company and work for myself in Canada? What is the process?
For someone like me who does not drive, are services like uber/lyft available in Canada? I am looking at Vancouver BC since its close to the border of the US.

What about cost of living? I mean, a 1 or 2 bed house or apartment rental, typically how much are we talking?

Thank you for your help. I am pretty stressed at the moment and not sure where to go or what to do in these circumstances.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 7:15 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary entry into Canada, cost of living and self employ?

Hello and welcome to BE!

As your post is partially about immigration but mainly about lifestyle and costs, I'll move your post to the main Canada forum.

Could I suggest posting a separate thread about Immigration potential?

You can't just move here and start a business without a work permit or Permanent Residency, but you could perhaps apply for a start up visa - or else see if you could emigrate under Express Entry and then start your business once you have Permanent Residency. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...qnum=645&top=6 /

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 23rd 2018 at 7:17 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver is EXPENSIVE, even though prices for apartments, condos and single family houses are allegedly dropping.

Costs depend on where you want to live.

In the downtown peninsula, think $2500 and up to rent a 1 bedroom, $3000 and up for a 2 bedroom. Buying a condo in downtown seems to be around $1 million, if you want a reasonable-sized 2 bedroom.

Prices will drop as you go further from downtown ............... I ve seen 1 bedroom apartments ion the area where I live as low as $900 in a 3 storey walk-up and as high as $2000 in a high rise.

Vancouver does NOT have Uber, Lyft or any such car services, apart from a few totally illegal ones offered in certain locations. The provincial government is still debating how to allow such services without adversally affecting a protected taxi industry.

Transit is pretty good
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Hello and welcome to BE!

As your post is partially about immigration but mainly about lifestyle and costs, I'll move your post to the main Canada forum.

Could I suggest posting a separate thread about Immigration potential?

You can't just move here and start a business without a work permit or Permanent Residency, but you could perhaps apply for a start up visa - or else see if you could emigrate under Express Entry and then start your business once you have Permanent Residency. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...qnum=645&top=6 /

But this would not happen immediately, would it??

Even the fastest way would take months??
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 9:19 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lastchance
I am a UK Citizen. I have my company in the UK and I also have my company ins the US however my US visa is expiring REALLY soon and unable to get it renewed, but trying other avenues.
I need to be close to the US for many reasons and thought staying in Canada would be the best option.

I am wondering for someone like me, an entrepreneur, is there a way I can start my company and work for myself in Canada? What is the process?
For someone like me who does not drive, are services like uber/lyft available in Canada? I am looking at Vancouver BC since its close to the border of the US.

What about cost of living? I mean, a 1 or 2 bed house or apartment rental, typically how much are we talking?

Thank you for your help. I am pretty stressed at the moment and not sure where to go or what to do in these circumstances.
As far as I know, pretty much ALL routes to remaining and working in Canada take a minimum of months to attain. Like most countries, you can't simply turn up and start working. According to the Canada Immigration website, assuming you are eligible in the first place, a start-up visa takes between 12 - 18 months from when you apply.

Last edited by rivingtonpike; Aug 23rd 2018 at 9:22 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 9:33 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Mexico is close to the US.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 3:58 am
Just Joined

Thank you all, I appreciate it!

indeed, I was not sure how the start-up visa works. They need some kind of sponsorship or some backing or something? Meh, not sure I follow much but most likely because I have a million things going on in my mind given my deadline and things to do and what to do
Old Aug 24th 2018, 5:09 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
But this would not happen immediately, would it??

Even the fastest way would take months??
Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
As far as I know, pretty much ALL routes to remaining and working in Canada take a minimum of months to attain. Like most countries, you can't simply turn up and start working. According to the Canada Immigration website, assuming you are eligible in the first place, a start-up visa takes between 12 - 18 months from when you apply.

It does, but there is the potential to apply for a work permit as an essential worker (no LMIA required), once you have found a designated entity to support your application for PR.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...pplicants.html
Qualifying foreign nationals who have received a Commitment Certificate/Letter of Support issued by a designated entity may be considered for a short-term work permit in order to facilitate their entry to Canada if the designated entity supports the request for a work permit.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Siouxie
It does, but there is the potential to apply for a work permit as an essential worker (no LMIA required), once you have found a designated entity to support your application for PR.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...pplicants.html
Qualifying foreign nationals who have received a Commitment Certificate/Letter of Support issued by a designated entity may be considered for a short-term work permit in order to facilitate their entry to Canada if the designated entity supports the request for a work permit.

But the OP says he has "my company" in the UK and "my company" in the US ...... thus implying that he is self-employed and running his own business.

Would this section apply to such a person?
Old Aug 24th 2018, 6:59 pm
Banned

[/b]

But the OP says he has "my company" in the UK and "my company" in the US ...... thus implying that he is self-employed and running his own business.

Would this section apply to such a person?

So what is your point?

As far as I am aware there is nothing to preclude them starting a similar business in Canada, should they be able to get support from one of the designated entities and then enter as an essential worker (i.e the owner!) on a work permit until PR is granted.

They would need to have experience of running a business / owning a company in order to get the support letter in the first place for the PR application.

Eligibility requirements for the Start-up Visa Program

You must:
From the link given:

How the work permit will be coded

The work permit will be issued under authority of subsection R205(a), and will be coded as follows:
  • Employer Name: Name of the New Business as per the IMM 5802 Offer of Employment to a Foreign National Exempt from Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
  • Employment Location: As per section 8.1 of the Commitment Certificate;
  • Validation Exemption Code: A-75;
  • NOC: 8888;
  • Intended Occupation: Entrepreneur;
  • Case Type: 20 Worker, NES;
  • Special Program Code: “SUV” Start-up Visa;
  • Duration: 12 months.
The permanent residence application should normally be finalized within six months. If a permanent residence application is in process but not finalized, a work permit extension will be considered on a case-by-case basis through the normal extension process at CPC-Vegreville

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 24th 2018 at 7:04 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well, if you are running your own business, surely you would need to find someone or some other business to support your application. Or would support from a bank be sufficient?

Surely it's easier to do that if you want employment and an employer supports you than if you want to maintain your independence?????
Old Aug 24th 2018, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

Interesting but seems a little complicated in terms of getting support from incubators? Wonder how that works and whether or not I can get everything done in 2 months...
Old Aug 25th 2018, 1:28 am
Banned

Well, if you are running your own business, surely you would need to find someone or some other business to support your application. Or would support from a bank be sufficient?

Surely it's easier to do that if you want employment and an employer supports you than if you want to maintain your independence?????
Perhaps it would be of help to read the link I gave earlier. In order to qualify for the Start up Visa, the applicant has to apply to one of the designated organisations for support of their business idea.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...qnum=645&top=6

This is ONLY for the Start Up Visa - which is a route for Permanent Residency.

Otherwise they would have to apply through Express Entry or obtain a job offer from an employer willing and able to go through the LMIA process, which is no longer a simple matter and enter on a Temporary Work Permit and hope that they could qualify for Permanent Residency at a later date either through Express Entry if they had enough points to get an invite from the pool, or for Provincial Nomination.

Originally Posted by lastchance
Interesting but seems a little complicated in terms of getting support from incubators? Wonder how that works and whether or not I can get everything done in 2 months...

It's mostly explained on the Govt website in detail, how to go about it and how it works.
I would very much doubt if you could even get the initial support documentation in under 2 months unless you were ready to submit it within the next week or two. Immigration is never a fast thing. Your other alternative would be to see if you could get a job offer with an employer willing to go through the LMIA process - but even that will take several months.

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 25th 2018 at 1:30 am.