Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

TRUCK DRIVER SALARY

TRUCK DRIVER SALARY

Old Aug 31st 2012, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133
Default Re: TRUCK DRIVER SALARY

Originally Posted by Boy d
i dont even know if 60 k is worth the agro and expenses of a move over.
Keeping in mind you are starting at the bottom of the ladder.

Thats 37500 pounds which is a LOT more than probably 90% UK truckers are on.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 3:39 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
Keeping in mind you are starting at the bottom of the ladder.

Thats 37500 pounds which is a LOT more than probably 90% UK truckers are on.
fair enough. I guess i was thinking more of the vancouver area which would be a struggle. Also true that one has to accept a lower income to get a foot in the door.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

I lived in the South Coast of England and it was a struggle - This is one of the biggest problems for large parts of the UK. I would have struggled to buy a 1 bed flat on my own.

Buying a 3 bed house would have been out of my reach
Old Aug 31st 2012, 5:38 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
I lived in the South Coast of England and it was a struggle - This is one of the biggest problems for large parts of the UK. I would have struggled to buy a 1 bed flat on my own.

Buying a 3 bed house would have been out of my reach
vancouver aside, lots of areas of the uk are a real struggle on an average wage. Manchester for example has an average wage of around 20 k. Speaking with family there, they say you are doing ok if you are earning 16 k, really well if making over 20 k. My brother makes over 30 k and he thinks he's hit the jackpot!

I doubt metro vancouver is much worse than the south east for cost of living.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

K33 is taking the mick,especially when you consider the employer,Day and Ross.Hot loads,running nights,skunky equipment.......not with a bargepole.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

suzi1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

my husband got a job offer from the company in Manitoba.He does not understand what is the wage because it is stated payment per mile, per hour, bonuses for loading / unloading etc. everything is mixed up.Can you tell us How high is your monthly salary?
Old Apr 6th 2013, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

If in MB you should have a contract with the min wagepaid per month for the first 3months .then an amount min per month for rest of contract.
a good friend showed me his contract before he comes over and the min amount is still on it.
In MB..it should be around $50k per yr.
as your OH will have to remember most companies will want 10k miles a month at least out of him .soooo work it out.
should be at least 35c per mile (prob more).
$15 a drop/pick at least
$10 crossing border.
$15 hr pay(at least)
and a detention pay for when waiting for a load.

remember no miles no pay (see contract)
so choose wisely 3k miles a wk at 36c is going to be better than 1.5k at 40c.!!
jimmy
Old Apr 6th 2013, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

hy,thank you for your answer.sorry if my english is no so good but i am trying.i stil don´t understand is the 50k a maximum wage or not.for example if he drives 12000 miles for a month what would his sallary be if everithing is how you said in your post?
Old Apr 6th 2013, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

ok....imo $50k is around what most drivers will earn on average per yr.
if he drives 12k mls a month that will be 12k x ??c + extras .
you never mentioned his cents per mile. so only you wiill know how much he earns.
No such thing as maximum wage ,,if you can get t,he miles and run legal then he will earn more.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

he aply for position in Bison transport.he recive a mail that they have LMO for him if he wants.he need to send them a more papers.in the mail was a list of sallary.0,37 c per mile;0.02 per mile for USA,8c$ for crossing the border;30 c$ for load/unload etc. There was a more informations but I didn´t remember everithing. Do you know something about the Bison?every information will be appreciated...
Old Apr 6th 2013, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bison ..you will run legal,run your hrs out weekly,and to be honest not a bad number to have for your starting job in Canada.

yup definitely a good/reasonable starting wage .(for a new driver).
trucks & trailers maintained ,
lol..you will see a lot of the states and Ontario.
HINT...start off as you mean to continue!!! tell the dispatcher how you want to run..ie..not driving between midnight and 5am...not running every night..the dispatchers are on the whole not bad but they need reminding every now and again how you are prepared to work..and to start take what you are given without to much complaining.
note you are working for one o the Big companies so be prepared to be a truck number not a name!(well for a while).
on a different note if you are going to apply for Permanent Residence you will have to pass a IELTS exam(English or FRench ). This tests how well you speak, read,write the languages..(unless you are 55yrs or older).
the information above comes from good friends that work /worked for Bison.
jimmy.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 9:10 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of
Cool Re: TRUCK DRIVER SALARY

Originally Posted by jamesmc
Bison ..you will run legal,run your hrs out weekly,and to be honest not a bad number to have for your starting job in Canada.

yup definitely a good/reasonable starting wage .(for a new driver).
trucks & trailers maintained ,
lol..you will see a lot of the states and Ontario.
HINT...start off as you mean to continue!!! tell the dispatcher how you want to run..ie..not driving between midnight and 5am...not running every night..the dispatchers are on the whole not bad but they need reminding every now and again how you are prepared to work..and to start take what you are given without to much complaining.
note you are working for one o the Big companies so be prepared to be a truck number not a name!(well for a while).
on a different note if you are going to apply for Permanent Residence you will have to pass a IELTS exam(English or FRench ). This tests how well you speak, read,write the languages..(unless you are 55yrs or older).
the information above comes from good friends that work /worked for Bison.
jimmy.
def let the dispatchers know how you want to run, if you dont from the start they will walk all over you (this is true for all companies), remember let them know nicely dont shout and scream or youll be screwing yourself even more. bison are not a bad lot to work for. as for seeing ontario youll love their yard in mississauga, a dust bowl in the summer and a swamp in the winter
Old Apr 8th 2013, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

Originally Posted by neilg14
Been a truck driver in Alberta for over 5 years and earned between $60K - $73K a year.
To drive a truck?! Wow. No wonder everyone drives trucks rund here or doe sgovernment work.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 7:21 am
Just Joined

this means a lot for us knowing that everything would be OK and that company is OK. MH drive a truck in EU for the past 15 years. it used to be a great pay but now he earns about 800€ a month. tell me about this IELTS test,does he have to pass it instantly or he has time do it(2 years).
Old Apr 8th 2013, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

KJCMedora2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by suzi1979
he aply for position in Bison transport.he recive a mail that they have LMO for him if he wants.he need to send them a more papers.in the mail was a list of sallary.0,37 c per mile;0.02 per mile for USA,8c$ for crossing the border;30 c$ for load/unload etc. There was a more informations but I didn´t remember everithing. Do you know something about the Bison?every information will be appreciated...
I work for a grain company in MB that deal with Bison and in the main the drivers seem very happy. We get several ExPat drivers that have been working there for several years and seem happy (especially compared to Yanke - the other main company that we deal with).
As I book the trucks from them I was invited for a look around there Head Office in Winnipeg and must admit it was very impressive. They even have an individual department that arranges dental appointments etc for the drivers.
I would agree with JamesMc that it would be a good way in.
Good Luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.