British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   trouble getting OHIP (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/trouble-getting-ohip-823877/)

lindamchugh Feb 3rd 2014 12:39 am

trouble getting OHIP

hi so after two visits to service canada they still refuse to give me and kids OHIP. They say as I am on an open work permit ( and I am working ) I am not eligible. website says if applied for PR and eligibility approved which we are then can get it but because it is my husband name on the document ( as primary applicant )
they still refusing to give us it.
hubby is in Calgary working and getting AHIP. Can I take it further up the ladder as they are all unsure as twice when in they keep having to consult with colleagues and fobbing me off . It is so worrying not having Healthcare.

Aviator Feb 3rd 2014 12:48 am

Re: trouble getting OHIP

Originally Posted by lindamchugh (Post 11109883)
hi so after two visits to service canada they still refuse to give me and kids OHIP. They say as I am on an open work permit ( and I am working ) I am not eligible. website says if applied for PR and eligibility approved which we are then can get it but because it is my husband name on the document ( as primary applicant )
hubby is in Calgary working and getting AHIP. Can I take it further up the ladder as they are all unsure as twice when in they keep having to consult with colleagues and fobbing me off . It is so worrying not having Healthcare.

You can take to whomever you want. Maybe contact your local MLA for help, that can get a few wheels rolling.

lindamchugh Feb 3rd 2014 12:51 am

MLA ? What is that MP office ?

Aviator Feb 3rd 2014 12:54 am

Originally Posted by lindamchugh (Post 11109896)

MLA is a provincial representative, which healthcare is. MP is a federal representative. You should to the MLA.

scrubbedexpat091 Feb 3rd 2014 1:07 am

You can also make a complaint to the Ontario Ombudsman.

http://www.ombudsman.on.ca/Make-A-Complaint.aspx

You might get further with them then with an MLA or MP, who in my experience can be not very helpful in anyway and may just blow you off.

dbd33 Feb 3rd 2014 1:36 am

Originally Posted by lindamchugh (Post 11109896)

MPP, not MLA, in Ontario.

Siouxie Feb 3rd 2014 1:50 am

That is for inland (spousal) applicants, not temporary permit holders; however, you should be able to get it when you have held a job for 6 months under the regulations:
Open work permit holders (including those in CIC’s Post-Graduation Work Permit Program) may be eligible for Ontario health insurance coverage provided they are employed full-time for an employer in Ontario for a minimum of six months, have a valid work permit during this time, and they:

maintain their primary place of residence in Ontario; and are
physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period; and are
physically present in Ontario for 153 of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province.
Your husband may have more difficulty.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi...p_foreign.aspx

bats Feb 3rd 2014 2:43 am

We had similar problems and contacted both MP and MPP. MP because CIC wouldn't/don't issue the form that OHIP said they needed and MPP for OHIP. The MP did nothing but the MPP's office were great and sorted it out.

MarylandNed Feb 3rd 2014 2:47 am

Do you mean Service Ontario? Did you try another office?

lindamchugh Feb 3rd 2014 10:03 am

yeah service ontario in Whitby our local one. I have contacted Jim Flaherty who I believ is an MPP as his office has been helpful in the past. Nobody seems to know when its something a bit different and the office had to call their hotline but they were on for 2 mins as it was near their closing time which is anotjer issue as I can only go on a Thursday
when they are open late which is dragging it on. oh man

MarylandNed Feb 3rd 2014 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by lindamchugh (Post 11110485)
yeah service ontario in Whitby our local one. I have contacted Jim Flaherty who I believ is an MPP as his office has been helpful in the past. Nobody seems to know when its something a bit different and the office had to call their hotline but they were on for 2 mins as it was near their closing time which is anotjer issue as I can only go on a Thursday
when they are open late which is dragging it on. oh man

Have you received a denial letter? You may want to contact HSARB:

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi...hip/hsarb.aspx

http://www.hsarb.on.ca/scripts/english/default.asp

lindamchugh Feb 3rd 2014 4:43 pm

no denial letter just fobbed off at counter !!

bats Feb 3rd 2014 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by lindamchugh (Post 11111183)

Just email your MPP

Siouxie Feb 3rd 2014 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by lindamchugh (Post 11111183)

Your husband can't meet the residency requirements of residing in Ontario for 153 days out of the first 183 days since establishing residency in Ontario nor is he working for an employer in Ontario - this is why he likely won't qualify for OHIP.
"...you are a foreign worker who holds a work permit valid for at least 6-months which permits you to work in Canada, and you are working under a formal agreement in place to work full-time for an employer situated in Ontario which sets out the employer’s name, your occupation, and states that you will be working for no less than six consecutive months;
AND
you make your primary place of residence in Ontario;
you are in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately following the date you establish residence in Ontario (you cannot be absent for more than 30 days during the first 6 months of residence);
you are in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period... "
Because your husband isn't working for an Ontario employer he doesn't qualify, I believe this is why you cannot get OHIP on the back of your husbands TWP.

You personally can't obtain OHIP on the basis of having an open work permit unless you have worked in Ontario for 6 months and have met the residency requirements.

I don't understand why you believe your MP should be able to help you - it's the regulations.

Edited to say, if you receive AIP on your FSW (Trades) application, you may possibly be able to obtain OHIP on that.

orly Feb 3rd 2014 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11111293)
Your husband can't meet the residency requirements of residing in Ontario for 153 days out of the first 183 days since establishing residency in Ontario nor is he working for an employer in Ontario - this is why he likely won't qualify for OHIP.
"...you are a foreign worker who holds a work permit valid for at least 6-months which permits you to work in Canada, and you are working under a formal agreement in place to work full-time for an employer situated in Ontario which sets out the employer’s name, your occupation, and states that you will be working for no less than six consecutive months;
AND
you make your primary place of residence in Ontario;
you are in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately following the date you establish residence in Ontario (you cannot be absent for more than 30 days during the first 6 months of residence);
you are in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period... "
Because your husband isn't working for an Ontario employer he doesn't qualify, I believe this is why you cannot get OHIP on the back of your husbands TWP.

You personally can't obtain OHIP on the basis of having an open work permit unless you have worked in Ontario for 6 months and have met the residency requirements.

I don't understand why you believe your MP should be able to help you - it's the regulations.

Edited to say, if you receive AIP on your FSW (Trades) application, you may possibly be able to obtain OHIP on that.

Essentially my view. Doesn't sound like the original poster is eligible to me either.