Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Trouble getting info from UK motor insurers....

Wikiposts

Trouble getting info from UK motor insurers....

Old May 9th 2013, 5:38 am
Just Joined

Let It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trouble getting info from UK motor insurers....

It's true ICBC in BC are VERY particular about the wording. Fortunately we had been with the same insurers in the UK for 10 years so only had one company to get the info out of. It still took three months and a customer service complaint. Surprisingly we then got the correct information twice :-)
As it had taken so long, we had to pay the insurance without the no claims evidence and then claim the difference back from ICBC which we did get without any hassle at all.
Old May 9th 2013, 6:55 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
There's no choice in BC for bad cover its ICBC, but at least the comp cover elects can be sought elsewhere
Darn iPhone text, it should have read that ICBC is the only choice for basic cover, but at least you can select the main comp cover elsewhere
Old May 9th 2013, 7:14 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaye5
Thinking ahead, I've been trying to get letters with the usual info on no claims years, accidents etc from my old insurance companies. After spending a day on the phone, with promises from six companies/brokers that they would indeed have no problem sending all the info I spelt out in words of one syllable, I get a ton of incorrect or missing info. One I called up again, told her what she had done wrong and she sent another letter - still wrong!

Anyone else has this problem?

We'll probably just go with Johnsons insurance, and are worried that this level of proof won't be good enough. We have nine years no claims but three non-fault accidents since 2006.

For example - one has just said a policy was cancelled on 1 September 2009 with 8 years no claims. Has come from Sheila's Wheels not Esure who were our company - if you call Esure the company they send letters out on SW notepaper (they appear to be one and the same).

Your not accident free then. Your fault or not, you still not accident free. The letter is not for a nine year no claims, it is to say you have been accident free, and you are not accident free, you had an accident and it was not your fault. Three times! So you are accident prone.

You could get a letter saying you have had three accidents since 2006 but none of them were your fault. Or say nowt?

Last edited by magnumpi; May 9th 2013 at 7:37 am.
Old May 9th 2013, 7:36 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Your not accident free then. Your fault or not, you still not accident free. The letter is not for a nine year no claims, it is to say you have been accident free, and you are not accident free, you had an accident and it was not your fault. Three times! So you are accident prone.

You could get a letter saying you have had three accidents since 2006 but none of them were your fault. Or say nowt?
Eh?

I'm pretty sure that ICBC are looking for proof of 'not at fault accidents' not 'accident free'. Just because you get trashed three times, through no fault of your own, does not make you 'accident prone' nor a greater insurance risk IMHO or likely in ICBC's mind for that matter.

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
There's no choice in BC for bad cover its ICBC, but at least the comp cover elects can be sought elsewhere
Which saved us about $450 over what ICBC wanted to charge.
Old May 9th 2013, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
Don't dismiss other insurers in Canada just because Johnson is known to be helpful to new immigrants. We went with TD in the end, they didn't accept the no claims but were still considerably cheaper than Johnson incl. the no claims.
Hi Nina

From what others in NS have said, it seemed probable that Johnsons might be the cheapest for us, so making sure their requirements are covered before we leave the UK - it was them who told me they needed what they called "letters of experience" going back 6 years. I thought it would be hell getting the info, so didn't want to face having to do this from Canada.

I'd never thought of TD - there are two other companies we've been recommended to look at in NS as well as Johnsons (I guess it is like the UK - a company that is cheap for one person's circumstances isn't necessarily cheap for someone else).

Will also get a quote from TD. Thanks for the info.
Old May 9th 2013, 7:40 am

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by james.mc
Eh?

I'm pretty sure that ICBC are looking for proof of 'not at fault accidents' not 'accident free'. Just because you get trashed three times, through no fault of your own, does not make you 'accident prone' nor a greater insurance risk IMHO or likely in ICBC's mind for that matter.

Which saved us about $450 over what ICBC wanted to charge.
Ok, I thought it was accident free either way no claims is no good as that can be Protected, for a fee.
Old May 9th 2013, 7:46 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I thought it was accident free either way no claims is no good as that can be Protected, for a fee.
Sure, I agree no claims certs are no good for ICBC (at least) as they know that no claims can be insured against, which is why they ask for proof of 'no at fault accidents' instead by way of a letter from the insurer.
Old May 9th 2013, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Did I say we were accident free? I said we had three non-fault accidents.

The letters I have now obtained state clearly the number of years no claims awarded and also detail the accidents and that they were non-fault.

The costs were paid by the third party, not our insurer - hence no loss of no claims, nothing to do with being protected or not.

I am prone to having people run into my car while I am stationary. Prone to being a victim of someone else's bad driving, but auto insurance being what it is, no claim was paid out of my own insurance. It isn't the same as house insurance where a non-fault incident is claimed from your own insurance.

I have no intention of lying to save a few $s and put us in the position of having invalid insurance.
Old May 9th 2013, 7:56 am

That is great news. Well done for pursuing them.

My friends son had the same, he was sat in the vehicle when he was run into by a drunk female. !!!! His mums car too.
Old May 9th 2013, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

That is great news. Well done for pursuing them.

My friends son had the same, he was sat in the vehicle when he was run into by a drunk female. !!!! His mums car too.
Thankfully, my insurance company did the pursuing for me, but I have done it myself in the past and won.

Two guys racing on a dual carriageway ran into the back of my car at the lights; had my 3 kids with me.

The other an old boy swerved and ran into me - not much damage so we both just decided not to claim as it was under our excesses. When I saw his writing I wondered if he should have been driving at all.

The latest one, someone skidded on the ice. My OH was in our car, stationary and watched this guy slide towards him...