Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tropical Fish Tank ?

Wikiposts

Tropical Fish Tank ?

Old Feb 15th 2005, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tropical Fish Tank ?

Has anyone else seen this thing in pet shops over here where they have for sale Siamese Fighting Fish tucked away in tiny little plastic containers no bigger than a very small glass. The local shop has loads of them with more dead than alive fish. I've seen this in more than one shop and it doesn't seem right to me. I've never seen it before arriving here.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 2:43 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
My boss (another ex Brit) keeps them, has a couple of big tanks. Hes gone home, but Ill try and remember to ask him what that stuff costs. But basically, you wont be the only one, even WalMart does fish stuff.
John says for a tank that size youd need two heaters, at about $50 each,(good idea anyway in case one breaks down) and a decent external filter would set you back about $300, but would be more effective than the cheap ones.

Good luck getting the tank here in one piece!

Last edited by iaink; Feb 15th 2005 at 2:58 am.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 2:56 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prodigyking
Stupid question 1: What happens to the fish when the pond freezes for like 6 months out of 12?
They can live quite hapilly in the unfrozen bit at the bottom. Most ponds more than 6 feet deep will have a few feet of water at the bottom and enough Oxygen diffuses through the ice for the water to remain breathable. Its not like spring comes and all of a sudden the lakes are full of dead fish floating on the surface
Stupid question 2: I had tropical fish for a few years in Kentucky, and I noticed that I had to keep the temperature of the apt very steady independently of all the temperature control within the tank. Otherwise, the fish freaked out and started switching colors, and looking pretty sad.
Your tank heater must have been pretty weedy or just not working right, or the tank was too big for it. A decent thermostatically controlled heater should keep the water fairly constant temp and the fish comfy enough.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice

Originally Posted by stepnek
Has anyone else seen this thing in pet shops over here where they have for sale Siamese Fighting Fish tucked away in tiny little plastic containers no bigger than a very small glass. The local shop has loads of them with more dead than alive fish. I've seen this in more than one shop and it doesn't seem right to me. I've never seen it before arriving here.
Apparently they can't be put in with any other fish, even themselves. Supposed to be pretty nasty. We had thought about getting a couple along with some roomier accommodation.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SimonG
Apparently they can't be put in with any other fish, even themselves. Supposed to be pretty nasty. We had thought about getting a couple along with some roomier accommodation.
I guess that's why they have their name but I think the "roomier accomodation" is the way to go!
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:24 am

Covenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepnek
Yup, they've been known to kill each other. I had some female Siamese fighting fish, (about three altogether) put a male in, and the females tore him to pieces).
Old Feb 15th 2005, 4:08 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SimonG
Not true actually. Siamese fighters, male or female, can be part of a community tank with no problems. They are actually better community fish than eg some barbs or angelfish! But you can't keep two together in one tank, not even a mating pair!

We tried to breed some once. You put them in a divided tank so they can see eachother yet not actually have contact......then the MALE gets all excited and builds a lovely nest made of bubbles and fish-spit!

Then somehow you have to judge when they are ready, let the female in to do the business, ie lay her eggs (if she likes his nest ), and then get her out again before they kill eachother!

err..... we failed!

Morw
Old Feb 15th 2005, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Morwenna

err..... we failed!

Morw
To what extent did you fail? She just wouldn't lay the eggs or was it more fatal than that?
Old Feb 15th 2005, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

dawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Not true actually. Siamese fighters, male or female, can be part of a community tank with no problems. They are actually better community fish than eg some barbs or angelfish! But you can't keep two together in one tank, not even a mating pair!

We tried to breed some once. You put them in a divided tank so they can see eachother yet not actually have contact......then the MALE gets all excited and builds a lovely nest made of bubbles and fish-spit!

Then somehow you have to judge when they are ready, let the female in to do the business, ie lay her eggs (if she likes his nest ), and then get her out again before they kill eachother!

err..... we failed!

Morw
LMAO...thanks for the chuckle