Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tropical Fish Tank ?

Tropical Fish Tank ?

Old Feb 14th 2005, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

George-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant future
Default Tropical Fish Tank ?

I will be shipping goods to Canada, my most treasured household object is our 6foot x 2foot x 2foot Tropical fish tank, now i know the pumps heaters and lights are not compatible, BUT, is tropical fish keeping a done thing in Canada ? and does anyone have any idea of the price of heaters, pumps, fish, ect?
Its our living room main feature and is stunning, i just wouldnt want to ship it all the way to Canada if it is gonna be a dust collector, your thoughts plz.
George.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 8:47 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tropical Fish Tank ?

Originally Posted by George-Ang
I will be shipping goods to Canada, my most treasured household object is our 6foot x 2foot x 2foot Tropical fish tank, now i know the pumps heaters and lights are not compatible, BUT, is tropical fish keeping a done thing in Canada ? and does anyone have any idea of the price of heaters, pumps, fish, ect?
Its our living room main feature and is stunning, i just wouldnt want to ship it all the way to Canada if it is gonna be a dust collector, your thoughts plz.
George.
My boss (another ex Brit) keeps them, has a couple of big tanks. Hes gone home, but Ill try and remember to ask him what that stuff costs. But basically, you wont be the only one, even WalMart does fish stuff.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

George.
We're leaving ours and will set-up again from scratch, boo-sniff. The guy who's buying our house took a liking to it (and the telly, the sofa...etc etc - cheeky beggar!!) so it's become one of the items he's included in his sale contract. Oh well, at least the fish won't be stressed going off to new homes or back to the fish store. Have you looked at the various fora on fishindex.com - there are lots of Canadians there who may be able to help you price it all up.

Biiiiink
Old Feb 14th 2005, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

George-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by iaink
My boss (another ex Brit) keeps them, has a couple of big tanks. Hes gone home, but Ill try and remember to ask him what that stuff costs. But basically, you wont be the only one, even WalMart does fish stuff.
Cool, thats good to know, thanx for that, the Tank gets shipped, sorry ebay users but this one isnt for auction
Old Feb 14th 2005, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
We're leaving ours and will set-up again from scratch, boo-sniff. The guy who's buying our house took a liking to it (and the telly, the sofa...etc etc - cheeky beggar!!) so it's become one of the items he's included in his sale contract. Oh well, at least the fish won't be stressed going off to new homes or back to the fish store. Have you looked at the various fora on fishindex.com - there are lots of Canadians there who may be able to help you price it all up.

Biiiiink
No but will look into it,thanx Biiiiiiiink... love my Tank its a talking point whenever anyone walks into the living room, i have a 6 foot UV light in it, it looks awesum at night, and if you fancy a bit of a tan, sit next to it for a few hours , hopefully the fish pond in the back garden may go with the house, if not then its get rid of them and order a few ton of top soil in to fill it, i do know people have garden ponds in Canada, but the depth would need to be a lot greater for over the cold period, here my garden pond is 4 foot deep, the ice never gets more than an inch thick, in Canada if i were to have a pond in Saskatoon, what depth would i be looking at, 10 12 foot? just to keep the fish in water, dont suppose pond heaters could fight of the harsh freezing temps there, any thought's ?
Old Feb 14th 2005, 9:18 pm
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light

My friends in Edmonton keep tropical fish...lots of them, in fact 3 or 4 tanks.

There was a big store there for buying all things to do with tropical fish..in fact that's all they sold, and I can't imagine it's a one off.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

prodigyking will become famous soon enough

Stupid question 1: What happens to the fish when the pond freezes for like 6 months out of 12?

Stupid question 2: I had tropical fish for a few years in Kentucky, and I noticed that I had to keep the temperature of the apt very steady independently of all the temperature control within the tank. Otherwise, the fish freaked out and started switching colors, and looking pretty sad.

So, considering that in Canada is going to be an even bigger battle to maintain a constant temperature in the apt, does that mean that the heater should always be on? Even if you leave for 2 weeks or a month, your house will have to be at an acceptable temperature or the fish are going to die. What's up with that?
Old Feb 14th 2005, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by prodigyking
Stupid question 1: What happens to the fish when the pond freezes for like 6 months out of 12?

Stupid question 2: I had tropical fish for a few years in Kentucky, and I noticed that I had to keep the temperature of the apt very steady independently of all the temperature control within the tank. Otherwise, the fish freaked out and started switching colors, and looking pretty sad.

So, considering that in Canada is going to be an even bigger battle to maintain a constant temperature in the apt, does that mean that the heater should always be on? Even if you leave for 2 weeks or a month, your house will have to be at an acceptable temperature or the fish are going to die. What's up with that?
i use an automatic heater with thermostat, it keeps the water in the tank at a constant temp.. no matter what it is in the apparment/home
Old Feb 14th 2005, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

What profound questions..........
Old Feb 14th 2005, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

prodigyking will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by willmore
What profound questions..........
Thanks for your approval. Now, go back to the frozen pond you came from.
:scared:
Old Feb 14th 2005, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Temper, temper......surely you don't want people to see the "real you".....
Old Feb 14th 2005, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Yes please calm down i asked a few serious questions, not knowing the Canadian way, the answers i got were good, the questions you asked prodigy were not to clear, anyone who keeps fish knows that thermostatic temperature control is essential. no more of this please

Old Feb 14th 2005, 10:33 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think fish would survive in Canada's winter temps, but have had to edit my post as I've done a quick search and found this site

http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/...CAT=30&INFO=73

Morw

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Feb 14th 2005 at 10:47 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 6:38 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

No but will look into it,thanx Biiiiiiiink... love my Tank its a talking point whenever anyone walks into the living room, i have a 6 foot UV light in it, it looks awesum at night, and if you fancy a bit of a tan, sit next to it for a few hours , hopefully the fish pond in the back garden may go with the house, if not then its get rid of them and order a few ton of top soil in to fill it, i do know people have garden ponds in Canada, but the depth would need to be a lot greater for over the cold period, here my garden pond is 4 foot deep, the ice never gets more than an inch thick, in Canada if i were to have a pond in Saskatoon, what depth would i be looking at, 10 12 foot? just to keep the fish in water, dont suppose pond heaters could fight of the harsh freezing temps there, any thought's ?
Also be aware that in many parts of Canada having a fish pond in your backyard can essentially mean opening an all-you-can-eat buffet for the local wildlife! Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

BTW, a friend of mine is an avid aquarist. He doesn't own a TV - at his place it's the fish channel 24/7 He shops at http://www.jlaquatics.com/ - well he actually goes to the physical store. But his aquarium's in the 'customer gallery' (that's why I know about this company, I don't know anything about keeping an aquarium).
Old Feb 15th 2005, 12:15 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Also be aware that in many parts of Canada having a fish pond in your backyard can essentially mean opening an all-you-can-eat buffet for the local wildlife! Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.
Migratory eagles pass through southern Alberta on their way to Alaska in the spring ... people with small dogs get very careful around that time :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.