Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Trip to Vancouver 30th Sept 2011

Trip to Vancouver 30th Sept 2011

Old Sep 10th 2011, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

ste1070 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Trip to Vancouver 30th Sept 2011

Am flying out to Vancouver at end of money looking for work. I am a time served electrician but looking for industrial electrician type work as latterly I have done industrial electrical maintenance.

I am aware that FSW is the more preferable way to go but at this stage I would like to try the TWP/LMO route and then progress PR once there. I know this does limit opportunities.

Based on at least 1 prospective employer wanting a meet and another one in the pipeline (a recruiter is progressing this one) does anyone hae any tips/advice on how to plan this week in Vancouver? I am reading more that recruitment agencies sometimes pay off better with face to face contact so this is an avenue I may explore i.e. visit agencies in Vancouver armed with resumes etc.

I have contacted a number of people who are advertising for industrial electricians but am aware that if these are fresh jobs than an LMO would be unlikely at this stage. I suppose I am banking on a position they are struggling to fill. Based on a needs must approach I feel I may have to take a far from ideal post with a far from ideal wage.

I am aware of Red Seal etc and would look t progressing this as soon as working. besides this, I am led to believe you cannot sit it unless you reside in Canada anyway.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I only have 3 weeks to formulate some sort of plan if this is what I need. It may be a case of just getting out there and taking things as the come. Who knows, the guy who has said to meet him may be fruitful. it makes me wonder??

Thanks,

Steve
Old Sep 10th 2011, 3:33 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trip to Vancouver 30th Sept 2011

Originally Posted by ste1070
Am flying out to Vancouver at end of money looking for work. I am a time served electrician but looking for industrial electrician type work as latterly I have done industrial electrical maintenance.

I am aware that FSW is the more preferable way to go but at this stage I would like to try the TWP/LMO route and then progress PR once there. I know this does limit opportunities.

Based on at least 1 prospective employer wanting a meet and another one in the pipeline (a recruiter is progressing this one) does anyone hae any tips/advice on how to plan this week in Vancouver? I am reading more that recruitment agencies sometimes pay off better with face to face contact so this is an avenue I may explore i.e. visit agencies in Vancouver armed with resumes etc.

I have contacted a number of people who are advertising for industrial electricians but am aware that if these are fresh jobs than an LMO would be unlikely at this stage. I suppose I am banking on a position they are struggling to fill. Based on a needs must approach I feel I may have to take a far from ideal post with a far from ideal wage.

I am aware of Red Seal etc and would look t progressing this as soon as working. besides this, I am led to believe you cannot sit it unless you reside in Canada anyway.

I only have 3 weeks to formulate some sort of plan if this is what I need. It may be a case of just getting out there and taking things as the come. Who knows, the guy who has said to meet him may be fruitful. it makes me wonder??

Thanks,

Steve
You cannot work as an electrician until you have passed the exams, which for time served would mean challenging the provincial exam. Red Seal is not an exam, it merely sets inter provincial standards body which co-ordinates between the provincial training authorities, which for BC is the ITA. You should contact the ITA before coming out and find out what you need to do.

If you are only coming for a week, that is a max of 5 days to meet people. Make an itinerary for each day, the days will fly by. If you just take it as it comes, chances are you'll be on your way home without having achieved much. You may also want to schedule in a meeting at one of the schools who do electrician training, I believe BCIT offer this.

It can be disappointing when you contact somebody and don't hear back. This happens a lot and is quite normal. Don't rely on one or two contacts, get as many as you can. Find trade associations and make contact with them. Unfortunately you miss the BC chapters AGM by a few days.
http://www.eca.bc.ca/
http://www.ceca.org/

Last edited by Aviator; Sep 10th 2011 at 4:05 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 3:37 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Visit recruitment agencies by all means. They are part of a job hunting strategy. However, try to set up as many meetings with companies that employ industrial electricians as you can. It is something of a numbers game. The one meeting you have arranged may come up trumps but if you can arrange ten meetings you have at least ten times the chance of finding a job.

If you haven't read it yet the wiki has some great advice on job hunting.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

rcarter8691 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Steve

I too am a electrician and also flying out on the 30th sept to Vancouver.

Where are you flying from Manchester?

I have just received my PR through and flying into Vancouver to activate my visa.

Maybe we could meet and throw a few ideas about regarding work as im also looking. Interested in talking to someone in the same situation.

Richard
Old Sep 11th 2011, 9:29 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rcarter8691
Hi Steve

I too am a electrician and also flying out on the 30th sept to Vancouver.

Where are you flying from Manchester?

I have just received my PR through and flying into Vancouver to activate my visa.

Maybe we could meet and throw a few ideas about regarding work as im also looking. Interested in talking to someone in the same situation.

Richard
Blimey - am i going to be on a flight full of electricians, then?
I could do with knowing a good electrician in the Vancouver area
I am also flying out of Manchester to Vancouver on 30th September.

Anyone else going on that one?

Maybe we should carry a placard or wear a red carnation in our buttonhole or something?

I am a teacher, though, not an electrician, but I can wire a plug and I have never electrocuted myself (unlike my husband......)
Old Sep 11th 2011, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

rcarter8691 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by helcat12
Blimey - am i going to be on a flight full of electricians, then?
I could do with knowing a good electrician in the Vancouver area
I am also flying out of Manchester to Vancouver on 30th September.

Anyone else going on that one?

Maybe we should carry a placard or wear a red carnation in our buttonhole or something?

I am a teacher, though, not an electrician, but I can wire a plug and I have never electrocuted myself (unlike my husband......)
Lol yeah anyone else on the flight, we can have a big get together and party as we need to soak up 9 hours of flight...

ill be the one wearing the bright red tank top with my right trouser leg rolled up lol
roll on 30th Sept!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:07 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rcarter8691
Lol yeah anyone else on the flight, we can have a big get together and party as we need to soak up 9 hours of flight...

ill be the one wearing the bright red tank top with my right trouser leg rolled up lol
roll on 30th Sept!!!!!!!!!!!
Now you have said that, you had better stick to it!
I will be scrutinising every passenger otherwise to see if I think they look like an electrician.

I'll be the very tall spikey-haired woman with the massive suitcase - I am flying Premium for the first time ever so I am making the most of the luggage allowance.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

hi steve!
i just sent you a PM.

cheers

Originally Posted by ste1070

Thanks,

Steve
Old Jan 5th 2012, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

chrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Would be really interested in any experience / advice you could share from this expedition!

I am also looking at either converting my UK Electrical / Engineering qualifications via the provincial route (either BC or AB) , or undertaking a 1 year full time conversion to 4th class power engineer, and entering on a study visa for the first 12 months.

what was the situation like with the LMO roles for Electrical (industrial) in BC?