Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Trip to UK - Logistic advice

Trip to UK - Logistic advice

Old Jul 31st 2017, 7:50 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trip to UK - Logistic advice

Originally Posted by dbd33
Not sure how this works, do you then forward calls made to your usual number to the giffgaff phone?
You could do that but assuming that your usual number is in Canada that means that your Canadian number will be making international mobile calls which might be rather expensive.

What I suggest you do is change your Canadian number so that they go through to voicemail where there is a message that says if you want to talk to me now contact my temporary UK mobile number which is xxx if not leave the message and ill hear it when I return.

If you actually meant your usual number is actually a UK mobile number then yes you can transfer that to Giffgaff using sonething called a pac code.
Old Aug 1st 2017, 11:07 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
You could do that but assuming that your usual number is in Canada that means that your Canadian number will be making international mobile calls which might be rather expensive.

What I suggest you do is change your Canadian number so that they go through to voicemail where there is a message that says if you want to talk to me now contact my temporary UK mobile number which is xxx if not leave the message and ill hear it when I return.

If you actually meant your usual number is actually a UK mobile number then yes you can transfer that to Giffgaff using sonething called a pac code.
It seems a lot of faffing around for $10/day (the roaming charge cap) and you'd have to reconfigure all your email addresses to forward to the temporary phone. I like to present a seamless interface, no one should have to know if I'm on holiday or gardening or at a desk Obviously that doesn't work if a second number has to be called.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Statham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I was added on to my dad's Liverpool Victoria insurance last year with my US license for a few weeks.

Residence was asked but it was not a problem.
Ah interesting. Do still have a UK licence also though?
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 6:20 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Statham2016

If you no longer have your current residential address on the UK then your UK licence is no longer valid until you return to residence in the UK so I'm taking a reasoned guess that the answer will be no. I'm pretty damn sure that you cannot hold two licences UK/US, UK/Canada, even if you have a copy of your original UK one. The agencies communicate with each other.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

You can't hold both. If you have both, live in Canada and try to hire a car in the UK, you'll get told your UK licence isn't valid. Information is shared.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 5:20 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

No, they knew I was not a UK resident so a UK license would be invalid.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

bobhinde is an unknown quantity at this point

I am heading back to the UK for a short trip (first time back after emigrating). Kind of strange having to think about these kind of things but was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on :
Using their Canadian mobile phone? I have a simple monthly plan with 'Chatr' here in Ontario. I haven't contacted them as of yet to see what they can or will offer. But I was actually thinking it may be just as well buying a cheap pay as u go and credit in the uk?

Driving a car? My options are obviously hire one. Or can I 'borrow' one from a family member and get some sort of short term insurance to cover me?
I've just returned after 3 weeks in Hampshire.
I paid 50p for a SIM card from ASDA, it gave me 10 calls; 10 texts; and 10MB data - all for free, and for ÂŁ5 and up there are various 30 day plans.
Car insurance varies by company, my brother wrote :-

Just toconfirm I’ve put you both on my insurance for your visit in August, We checkedwith Mary’s car but her insurer doesn’t cover US residents. £13.94 with £300excess should you have a fire/theft/accident

I didn't think to ask for the insurance company names, but I could.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at https://www.insuredaily.co.uk/quote if you want to get insurance on a borrowed UK car, but beware it can be a bit pricy

Last edited by CanadianSpruce; Sep 8th 2017 at 12:13 am.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

bgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I like to present a seamless interface, no one should have to know if I'm on holiday or gardening or at a desk Obviously that doesn't work if a second number has to be called.
voip.ms and an unlocked smartphone with a data plan is great for this.

I've got a data-only SIM card (Fido 3Gb/$15/mo), and run my voip number through my phone.

So long as I've got a data plan in the country I'm in, my phone is seamless (although my Canadian voip # can only support SMS to/from North America: this isn't an issue for me, but can appreciate this may be for others).

If I'm working remotely, I just set my office call forwarding to my voip #.

Outbound calls to North America from my voip.ms account are same as normal, as I'm just going through an internet connection.

When I'm in the UK, I'm using voip.ms for my North American calls, but also have a UK number for inbound/outbound domestic stuff.

I've had a giffgaff SIM for years, which doesn't seem to get cut off even though it's usually inactive for longer than the stated time to lose the number.

The one issue I did have with giffgaff was this summer, where they refused to give me free EU roaming as I wasn't UK resident (plenty of coverage on the giffgaff forum about this).

As we were spending a week or so in the EU, the day I arrived I ended up buying a EE SIM at a pound store (which are the "free" ones that are eligible for the internet-only plans which offer a lot more inclusive data) and using that for most things.
I've got a dual-SIM phone, so could still take inbound calls on my giffgaff number, but informed people I'd be using a second SIM for outbound stuff this trip only. A very minor hassle in the overall scheme of things - hopefully giffgaff get their act together in the coming months over this, but typically my trips back are UK-only so hopefully this is a one-off.

The other good thing about giffgaff is that calls to Canada are something silly like 1-2p/min (I forget exactly) and while this isn't part of a goodybag's included minutes, this hardly breaks the bank and I usually have some residual credit on my SIM which makes this a good backup (e.g. if I'm in the countryside and have poor data reception which isn't great for using VoiP).
Old Sep 8th 2017, 6:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bgpz
voip.ms and an unlocked smartphone with a data plan is great for this.

I've got a data-only SIM card (Fido 3Gb/$15/mo), and run my voip number through my phone.

So long as I've got a data plan in the country I'm in, my phone is seamless (although my Canadian voip # can only support SMS to/from North America: this isn't an issue for me, but can appreciate this may be for others).

If I'm working remotely, I just set my office call forwarding to my voip #.

Outbound calls to North America from my voip.ms account are same as normal, as I'm just going through an internet connection.

When I'm in the UK, I'm using voip.ms for my North American calls, but also have a UK number for inbound/outbound domestic stuff.

I've had a giffgaff SIM for years, which doesn't seem to get cut off even though it's usually inactive for longer than the stated time to lose the number.

The one issue I did have with giffgaff was this summer, where they refused to give me free EU roaming as I wasn't UK resident (plenty of coverage on the giffgaff forum about this).

As we were spending a week or so in the EU, the day I arrived I ended up buying a EE SIM at a pound store (which are the "free" ones that are eligible for the internet-only plans which offer a lot more inclusive data) and using that for most things.
I've got a dual-SIM phone, so could still take inbound calls on my giffgaff number, but informed people I'd be using a second SIM for outbound stuff this trip only. A very minor hassle in the overall scheme of things - hopefully giffgaff get their act together in the coming months over this, but typically my trips back are UK-only so hopefully this is a one-off.

The other good thing about giffgaff is that calls to Canada are something silly like 1-2p/min (I forget exactly) and while this isn't part of a goodybag's included minutes, this hardly breaks the bank and I usually have some residual credit on my SIM which makes this a good backup (e.g. if I'm in the countryside and have poor data reception which isn't great for using VoiP).
I suppose I should have said that I don’t use voice (well I get incoming calls telling me I`ve won a cruise or junk solicitations when I visit the TD bank but those are, pretty much, the only voice calls). The phone, to me, is a portable email/WhatsApp device so what counts is a consistent email address and number. I`m too lazy to learn about forwarding messages (if it`s even possible), nevermind remembering to configure forwarding.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 6:20 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

You might be able to provide an even more seamless option. Voipfone offer a service where you have a virtual switch, and pay a nominal sum for extensions with all the commercial service goodies you would expect. You can port uk or us geographic phone numbers to their gateways and call costs are extremely low and naturally free between virtual extensions which in my world are my families mobiles plus home phone behind a little Cisco voip box they provision. When I move homes around the world the Cisco box comes, plug into a router and my uk and us number rings in Grenada or Georgia... voicemail is sent to me as email.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 6:25 pm

I also use Giffgaff, but may stop as there are now new cheaper options, as the operators now sell eu wide flat rate packages. I am a uk registered user, but it doesn't help much, as their us and caribbean rates are easily beatable this year, fast changing marketplace at present.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 6:57 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Any ideas what to use for data when visiting Spain ( apart from hopping from bar to bar using their wifi ) ?
Old Sep 11th 2017, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Any ideas what to use for data when visiting Spain ( apart from hopping from bar to bar using their wifi ) ?
I was in Gibraltar and Spain in July. My UK SIM allowed free calls, texts and data in Europe. My SIM is on Virgin UK.