Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

trip imminent: what line to go in at LGW?

trip imminent: what line to go in at LGW?

Old Jun 18th 2017, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default trip imminent: what line to go in at LGW?

Hello I think I may have asked this before, but it's now two weeks to the first holiday all four of us have had together in ... years (usually, it's 2 or 3 of us at a time!).

So 4 of us + daughter's bf are going to the UK and Gib. All of us have UK passports except bf who holds Canadian. Would you try going through the EU citizens queue at LGW since we are a group travelling together?

Daughter (age 20) suggested she could go through the non-EU line with bf (also age 20) but my concern is border control will maybe think they're trying to settle in the UK (and yes I am a complete control freak!).

What do any of you do in similar circumstances? My sense is we should go through one line or another together as a group.

Thank you!
Old Jun 18th 2017, 12:52 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: trip imminent: what line to go in at LGW?

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Hello I think I may have asked this before, but it's now two weeks to the first holiday all four of us have had together in ... years (usually, it's 2 or 3 of us at a time!).

So 4 of us + daughter's bf are going to the UK and Gib. All of us have UK passports except bf who holds Canadian. Would you try going through the EU citizens queue at LGW since we are a group travelling together?

Daughter (age 20) suggested she could go through the non-EU line with bf (also age 20) but my concern is border control will maybe think they're trying to settle in the UK (and yes I am a complete control freak!).

What do any of you do in similar circumstances? My sense is we should go through one line or another together as a group.

Thank you!
I would all go in the EU line
Old Jun 18th 2017, 12:54 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I would try and go through the EU line. If the foreigner gets the heave-ho then let the daughter go through the dodgy alien line with him. It doesn't matter that much because the baggage carousel can only take a few bags and is quickly full, everyone has to wait for the people processed slowly through immigration to claim their bags anyway.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

OK thanks we will try that one. I think it's best.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 1:57 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

OK thanks we will try that one. I think it's best.
I consulted Snoop, the queen of law abiding - googled arrivals- they have epassport gates - you may not have a choice- either way they are pretty quick if not too many planes are coming in at the same time

Passport control | Gatwick Airport

As dbd says, you can go and collect the luggage
Old Jun 18th 2017, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank you. Interestingly I have never actually used the electronic system as travelling with a child has precluded that. But now I see they have lowered the age to 12 (didn't it used to be 18?; we travelled with a 14 year old in 2015 and couldn't use them).

The link also says:

"If you aren’t eligible to use the e-passport gates or prefer not to, then please wait for the next available border force officer."

So we can probably wait for the officer (as we have always done in the past because of being ineligible to use the electronic system/child below required age).
Old Jun 18th 2017, 2:14 am
I need a walk

Yep- forgot that - youngest pup is older ... Stick to the original plan! Gatwick isn't bad - luggage can take an age so I wouldn't worry too much. I will now go and beat Snoop for giving me misinformation.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

No she hasn't informed you wrong: you can use them with kids 12+
Old Jun 18th 2017, 3:05 am
I need a walk

No she hasn't informed you wrong: you can use them with kids 12+
No matter, she needs to be punished
Old Jun 18th 2017, 5:07 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

We are 2 x Canadian and 2 x UK passports. We asked the person who stands at the queue entrance which line we should go in. At Heathrow they told us to use the EU line. At Gatwick, the (very) miserable gentleman told us to use the Canadian line (which was mahoosive). Think it just depends on the mood/friendliness of who is on that day
Old Jun 18th 2017, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

That sounds similar to us. OK I will seek guidance before joining a line.

Thank you!
Old Jun 18th 2017, 4:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

Don't forget if you are dual CAN/UK citizens you will need your Canadian passport to get back into Canada.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 4:17 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheltonian
Don't forget if you are dual CAN/UK citizens you will need your Canadian passport to get back into Canada.
Pretty simple really. Leave Canada on Canadian passport, enter UK ON British on, leave UK ON British one and re-enter Canada on Canadian one.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I would go all in EU line. I did that in Frankfurt with 1x Maltese passport and 4x Canadian passports (put mine at the top of the pile ) and all I got was a dirty look and "Why are you the only Maltesian?" (Yes, he said it like that ) but he let us through.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 2:30 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by Gozit
I would go all in EU line. I did that in Frankfurt with 1x Maltese passport and 4x Canadian passports (put mine at the top of the pile ) and all I got was a dirty look and "Why are you the only Maltesian?" (Yes, he said it like that ) but he let us through.
Gozit is the one in the middle ..
Attached Thumbnails trip imminent: what line to go in at LGW?-image.jpeg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.