Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Trip around Nova Scotia

Trip around Nova Scotia

Old Jun 22nd 2005, 9:27 pm
Jenny & Tony

Happydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud of
Default Trip around Nova Scotia

Hi everyone,

At the end of may I went on a 2000km road trip around Nova Scotia,
looking at houses and taking in the scenery.I saw alot and learnt alot.
I ended up Nr Bridgewater for the last couple of days and met a very
helpfull estate agent in the pub in mahone bay. He showed me a few
houses and have ended up buying one in springfield. Jenny and I are now
hoping to be moving out by the end of august and can't wait. I now feel
like we have caught the express train out of here, `would the last person
to leave please switch the lights out'.
Tony.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 4:23 am
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice
Default Re: Trip around Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by Happydayz
Hi everyone,

Tony.
Great news, Tony.

It sounds like you really checked the place out......was it everything you expected, or better!!

Looking forward to hearing all about it in more detail...I'm sure the Nova Scotia Clan will enjoy your experiences too!

Scouse
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Location: SHEFFIELD uk can't wait to move in our house in Louisbourg N.S as soon as possible
louisbourg will become famous soon enough

sounds like you had a great time !!!
driving round seeing all that beautiful scenery , so much to see and do

it's very exciting
we too love N.S and also bought a house in feb this year in cape breton .....and are looking forward to gettin over in july .paint brushes in hand

congratulations on your house purchase , and the best of luck to you both

we are 10 months in the waiting game , but it seems like forever , hopefully no news is good news ,but you do wonder sometimes and hope everything is going on the right tracks .......

best wishes

sharon
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice

Hi everyone,

Tony.
Hi Tony and Jenny,
sounds a good trip, we are going over on the 5th July, hopefully will get to meet up. Let us know when you are due to go over.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 12:07 pm
Jenny & Tony

Happydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wensamjam
Hi Tony and Jenny,
sounds a good trip, we are going over on the 5th July, hopefully will get to meet up. Let us know when you are due to go over.

we're hoping to go around mid august, just depends how quick the solicitors are at sorting our house sale out. There seems to be a few people
going to N.S. this year, it would be great to meet up with people. I can't
wait to get our first blueberry harvest, set up the demi-jons and get the
wine bubbling away in the cellar ready for a big Bar-B-Q. The house we are
buying has 8 acres of land, so I will probably build a log cabin on it, to help
house all the guests who are already booking their flights over.
Tony.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 12:49 pm
Jenny & Tony

Originally Posted by Scouse
Great news, Tony.

It sounds like you really checked the place out......was it everything you expected, or better!!

Looking forward to hearing all about it in more detail...I'm sure the Nova Scotia Clan will enjoy your experiences too!

Scouse
It was a very tiring trip to do 2000km in 6 days, but we did see alot. I
wasn't quite prepared for the weather that week, which was the worst rain
they had had, for over 50 years. They declared a state of emergancy as
alot of rivers burst their banks and there were floods everywhere. On the bright side though, it was a good time to look at houses and check out the
weather proofing. We went just before spring had kicked in so there was nothing in bloom, however I still liked the look of it. Cape Breton looked quite
spectacular (the small bit that I saw anyway) and everywhere was just covered with pine trees, like nobody had ever cut any down. Kinda like I imagine England would have been like hundreds of years ago before de-forestation. People were very friendly, almost to the point of being scary.I live in a large town on the south coast, which is quite friendly by English standards, but you don't get people waving at you when you drive along,or
strangers inviting you to go fishing at thier lake,or unfamilier pub landlords giving you a free drink, but I did in N.S. I guess with everything being new
to me and different, it will be a novalty at first, but the things I won't miss or
forget are: no more mortgage! no more water rates! council tax £200 a year!
petrol 40p a litre! cars nearly half the price etc etc. yiheeee!
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Hey Jenny and Tony So glad things are working out for you. I bet you are quite excited about it all. How long does it take you to get to Bridgewater from Springfield? You will be living fairly close to ACL.
Yes we had 8 days of torrential rains and we in our area lost 2 bridges and only one is up and running now.Having some great weather now though! See ya soon.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 1:32 pm
Jenny & Tony

Originally Posted by Corky
Hey Jenny and Tony So glad things are working out for you. I bet you are quite excited about it all. How long does it take you to get to Bridgewater from Springfield? You will be living fairly close to ACL.
Yes we had 8 days of torrential rains and we in our area lost 2 bridges and only one is up and running now.Having some great weather now though! See ya soon.
Half an hour down hwy 10 to bridgewater from springfield.Glad to hear the
weather is good now. Nice to see the new shopping Mall as you drive in,
look forward to coffee and blueberry muffins at Tim Hortons on shopping
days! Keep in touch.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

I take it by "shopping Mall" you mean the new Walmart....right? Well hang on cause yesterday they had the big opening for the brand spanking new Canadian Tire!!!! We never went but I did here the place was crawling with people! So Springfield is about the same distance from B'water as we are.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 1:50 pm
Jenny & Tony

Originally Posted by Corky
I take it by "shopping Mall" you mean the new Walmart....right? Well hang on cause yesterday they had the big opening for the brand spanking new Canadian Tire!!!! We never went but I did here the place was crawling with people! So Springfield is about the same distance from B'water as we are.
I know where I'll be spending my time on shopping day then. All it
needs now is a windsurfing shop and motorcycle dealer and I'll be
in heaven!
Tony.
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

I know where I'll be spending my time on shopping day then. All it
needs now is a windsurfing shop and motorcycle dealer and I'll be
in heaven!
Tony.
Well we will just have to work on that one...I am sure there is plenty of store space left!!!
Old Jun 23rd 2005, 2:49 pm
MCC
Forum Regular

MCC is an unknown quantity at this point

It was a very tiring trip to do 2000km in 6 days, but we did see alot. I
wasn't quite prepared for the weather that week, which was the worst rain
they had had, for over 50 years. They declared a state of emergancy as
alot of rivers burst their banks and there were floods everywhere. On the bright side though, it was a good time to look at houses and check out the
weather proofing. We went just before spring had kicked in so there was nothing in bloom, however I still liked the look of it. Cape Breton looked quite
spectacular (the small bit that I saw anyway) and everywhere was just covered with pine trees, like nobody had ever cut any down. Kinda like I imagine England would have been like hundreds of years ago before de-forestation. People were very friendly, almost to the point of being scary.I live in a large town on the south coast, which is quite friendly by English standards, but you don't get people waving at you when you drive along,or
strangers inviting you to go fishing at thier lake,or unfamilier pub landlords giving you a free drink, but I did in N.S. I guess with everything being new
to me and different, it will be a novalty at first, but the things I won't miss or
forget are: no more mortgage! no more water rates! council tax £200 a year!
petrol 40p a litre! cars nearly half the price etc etc. yiheeee!

That's sound great!!! We are off to NS end of August early September. I can't wait. We will start with a trip similar to you before we decide where we'll settle.. By the time we get all sorted we might have to do a winter BBQ!!!

Good luck with your visa!!

MCC