Reload this Page >

Tricky question for you?!

Wikiposts

Tricky question for you?!

Old Mar 18th 2012, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Tribleedinumph is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tricky question for you?!

We are trying to 'crunch' the numbers for our move to Canada, at the moment we are getting by in the UK but my partner has to travel 3 hours a day to work and back, we have no family life as he is always tired and too much to do around the house. The main reason we are moving to Canada is he has been offered a job where he will be earning 20k (gbp) a year more than here and will live within a 15 minute commute, and will have every other friday off (company work a 9/80 fortnight).
But the big question is how much more does it cost to live in Canada. We will be losing my wages of 10k a year and we are unsure whether we will be financially okay. I am probably asking you all the impossible but we are guestimating a rent of approx $2,500 for a 3 bed house and just wondered what we can expect to pay on average for other bills for a family of four?
Appreciate any feedback, thanks in advance.
Yvette.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 8:51 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tricky question for you?!

Depends on where you want to live. You coul rent something the size of Buckingham Palace for that money if you were in Nova Scotia, however Vancouver might get you a thimble.

Do a search under "cost of living" that should throw up about 57,000 threads about costs of living all over the country.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Sorry, meant to put that we would be in the Burlington/Hamilton area. Will check that out though, thanks.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 9:32 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tribleedinumph
We are trying to 'crunch' the numbers for our move to Canada, at the moment we are getting by in the UK but my partner has to travel 3 hours a day to work and back, we have no family life as he is always tired and too much to do around the house. The main reason we are moving to Canada is he has been offered a job where he will be earning 20k (gbp) a year more than here and will live within a 15 minute commute, and will have every other friday off (company work a 9/80 fortnight).
But the big question is how much more does it cost to live in Canada. We will be losing my wages of 10k a year and we are unsure whether we will be financially okay. I am probably asking you all the impossible but we are guestimating a rent of approx $2,500 for a 3 bed house and just wondered what we can expect to pay on average for other bills for a family of four?
Appreciate any feedback, thanks in advance.
Yvette.
It is an impossible question to answer. It depends as much on what you want out of life, and how much that costs, than how much you earn.

Posters here range from a family living quite happily on less than $25,000 a year to others who complain that they struggle to get by on $100,000.

Overall, the general consensus is that there are swings and roundabouts. Some things more expensive and others cheaper. With the current exchange rate the cost or living is roughly the same. Possibly even a little higher until you learn where to go for good value or if you insist on replicating your shopping habits from the UK.

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Depends on where you want to live. You coul rent something the size of Buckingham Palace for that money if you were in Nova Scotia, however Vancouver might get you a thimble.

Do a search under "cost of living" that should throw up about 57,000 threads about costs of living all over the country.
Hey, even in Vancouver you can rent somewhere decent for $2,500 a month.

Last edited by JonboyE; Mar 18th 2012 at 10:07 am.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is an impossible question to answer. It depends as much on what you want out of life, and how much that costs, than how much you earn.

Posters here range from a family living quite happily on less than $25,000 a year to others who complain that they struggle to get by on $100,000.

Overall, the general consensus is that there are swings and roundabouts. Some things more expensive and others cheaper. With the current exchange rate the cost or living is roughly the same. Possibly even a little higher until you learn where to go for good value or if you insist on replication your shopping habits from the UK.
I am aware I am asking a tricky question...hence the posting title!!, but I guess I am hoping someone with a family of four in a 3 bed home can give me a rough idea. We are not extravagant by any means and the main reason for our move would be for work life balance, but not at the expense of finacially crippling us.
We would be on $100k a year with health insurance provided. Is that considered a 'livable wage'?
Old Mar 18th 2012, 10:05 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I am aware I am asking a tricky question...hence the posting title!!, but I guess I am hoping someone with a family of four in a 3 bed home can give me a rough idea. We are not extravagant by any means and the main reason for our move would be for work life balance, but not at the expense of finacially crippling us.
We would be on $100k a year with health insurance provided. Is that considered a 'livable wage'?
$100k p/a is considered better than a living wage. It will not buy you luxury but will give you a satisfactory lifestyle.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 10:08 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

It is more than I need.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 10:16 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Posters here range from a family living quite happily on less than $25,000 a year to others....

Different now with kids out of school and wages replacing child tax credits but it was true for four years.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 11:06 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a good wage for a family of four. You could live comfortably on that money in that general area. Some points:

- you seem to have a fixed idea of the commuting time, since you don't yet have a house, I don't think you can be sure of that.

- health insurance here is like the NHS, everyone has it. Some employers top it up, with drug plans and the like and that's great, but it's not much of a selling point for a job.

- employers in Canada aren't under much obligation to deal fairly with their staff, unless you know the firm involved well, you might want to look for a commitment from them to this deal, moving expense money for example, before crossing the ocean for a job offer that may or may not be genuine.
In the local jargon, you want them to be invested.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, meant to put that we would be in the Burlington/Hamilton area. Will check that out though, thanks.
$2,500 per month rent is eminently liveable on if, by my calculations, you're pulling down $6,000 p/month after tax, EI and CPP (for $100k).
Old Mar 18th 2012, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

bigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nice

as dbd says the money is ok just make sure the job is secure!
Old Mar 19th 2012, 12:48 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldnt say it was any more expensive to live in Canada, its just no longer true that its cheaper.

Some things are more, some are less, overall it pretty much balances out is my feel.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

bryandd is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a Canadian living in the UK, and I can tell you that life in Canada is definitely cheaper than the UK. Things like petrol and food are considerably cheaper in Canada, and you don't have to pay council tax on top of your rent. Like others have said, it depends on where you want to live and what you want with your money. 100K a year is more than enough to live a very comfortable life in most parts of Canada.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 1:02 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bryandd
I am a Canadian living in the UK, and I can tell you that life in Canada is definitely cheaper than the UK. Things like petrol and food are considerably cheaper in Canada, and you don't have to pay council tax on top of your rent. Like others have said, it depends on where you want to live and what you want with your money. 100K a year is more than enough to live a very comfortable life in most parts of Canada.
On the other hand my car insurance is 10 times more ($2k+ a year for 2 cars, with 10+ years good record here), I have to drive twice as far at least to get to anywhere worth going to, and there are no affordable small cars with engines that get 60MPG. My property taxes are more than council tax, and a small chunk of lamb costs so much that I cant remember the last time I even took the plunge, and a cheap bottle of wine in $9, but not really worth drinking, so you end up spending $15.

Its swings and roundabouts
Old Mar 19th 2012, 1:02 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bryandd
I am a Canadian living in the UK, and I can tell you that life in Canada is definitely cheaper than the UK.
Hamilton ON is definitely cheaper to live in than the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, yes. Vancouver vs. Larne, not so much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.