Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Travelling to the USA by land from Canada

Travelling to the USA by land from Canada

Old May 3rd 2008, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of
Default Travelling to the USA by land from Canada

We are due to go to Montanna to pick up our first dog ( a little weimaraner puppy). An English couple we met in Fernie said that when they go across they have to get a Visa.

My question is .....If you hold a PR card and a machine readable UK passport, do you need to get a Visa? I would appreciate peoples experiences on this, as I am getting a little confused with the USA embassy consulate requirements and Visa requirements that are stated on their website.

have a great weekend guys.
Old May 3rd 2008, 5:32 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Travelling to the USA by land from Canada

Originally Posted by frankieforehead
We are due to go to Montanna to pick up our first dog ( a little weimaraner puppy). An English couple we met in Fernie said that when they go across they have to get a Visa.

My question is .....If you hold a PR card and a machine readable UK passport, do you need to get a Visa? I would appreciate peoples experiences on this, as I am getting a little confused with the USA embassy consulate requirements and Visa requirements that are stated on their website.

have a great weekend guys.
Yes you do - $6 for a visitors visa valid for 3 months. To be either handed in on return or posted back with the three months are up. You'll be finger printed and photographed too. Well that's what happens when you drive anyway.
Old May 3rd 2008, 5:33 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ziggy8080
Yes you do - $6 for a visitors visa valid for 3 months. To be either handed in on return or posted back with the three months are up. You'll be finger printed and photographed too. Well that's what happens when you drive anyway.
A pedant writes ...

Technically it is not a visa, but a visa waiver. Otherwise you are spot on.
Old May 3rd 2008, 6:18 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you do - $6 for a visitors visa valid for 3 months. To be either handed in on return or posted back with the three months are up. You could be finger printed and photographed too. Well that's what happens when you drive anyway.
I've never been photographed or finger printed when crossing the border.
Old May 3rd 2008, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

KANIYANG is an unknown quantity at this point

Me too
Old May 3rd 2008, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
You might be shot next time....!
Old May 3rd 2008, 8:40 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

I went my car in Feb to Montana through Regway Sask. I bought my I94 which is a visa waiver lasting for 3 months, I also had the photo taken and fingerprint scan even though I have a readable passport.
Old May 3rd 2008, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

We just got back from there yesterday, we crossed at Niagara Falls and we were photographed and fingerprinted, although the kids weren't. Just drive thro with all the other traffic and upon producing the passport and PR cards, which the booth will take off you, you are then sent to the office. You may have to wait a while there, we spent 45 mins waiting, then got taken thro asked some questions and then the photos and prints, pay our US$6 per person, including the kids and then sent on our way.

On the way back you will have to declare how much shopping you did in the US. Don't know what the limit is but we didn't have to pay any tax on the US$500 we declared after our week visit. As a great touch they had a Timmies at the border crossing!

Hope that helps.

Chris
Old May 3rd 2008, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Travelling to the USA by land from Canada

Sooooo....you can get the Visa waiver at the border crossing then? It also appears that they only photograph good looking people
Old May 3rd 2008, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by frankieforehead
It also appears that they only photograph good looking people
Ain't that the truth
Old May 3rd 2008, 10:42 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

For the visa waiver everyone is Photo'd and fingerprinted.
Old May 3rd 2008, 11:17 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
For the visa waiver everyone is Photo'd and fingerprinted.
So how come myself, my wife and MIL weren't?
Old May 3rd 2008, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Worried about you cracking the lens
Old May 3rd 2008, 11:55 pm
Pea Brain

Originally Posted by cneldred
Worried about you cracking the lens
Old May 4th 2008, 1:03 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

You did hand over your British Passports, not go through with your Canadian Driving Licences?

Or do you go over at a very small border crossing that lacks the technology?

We have been printed and photoed for a couple of years going over into North Dakota.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.