Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Travelling in September / PR card expired

Travelling in September / PR card expired

Old May 23rd 2018, 12:53 am
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light
Default Travelling in September / PR card expired

Hi all,
My son and his pals have booked a vacation to Hawaii in September. Now he finds his PR card has expired. He's filled in relevant renewal paperwork and will send it by courier tomorrow. Now he's having a meltdown that it won't come in time. Of course, now I'm stressed (kids eh?!). I know CIC can be difficult to contact but is there anything we can do? Should he send a covering letter giving his date of (hopeful} travel. He came home full of the joys having booked this holiday not realising the implications. *slaps forehead* ....

Last edited by Dotty P; May 23rd 2018 at 12:55 am.
Old May 23rd 2018, 4:55 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling in September / PR card expired

Can I get my permanent resident card processed urgently?

Unfortunately "I'm going on holiday" isn't one of the reasons for urgent processing - so he will have to keep everything crossed - he might get lucky *Renewing or replacing a PR card 110 days ......... or be prepared to change travel plans - return though the US instead perhaps, then drive across the border (no PR card needed) - or apply for a PRTD in Hawaii (and be prepared to extend the trip).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...num=064&top=10

Last edited by Siouxie; May 23rd 2018 at 5:02 am.
Old May 23rd 2018, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I think an Application for a PRTD would have to go to New York (or Los Angeles) (along with son's original passport).

Select: United States (no Hawaii option)
Select: General Public:

Submitting your application

So in my opinion, it makes better sense to reroute the return via the land border and cross in a non commercial vehicle. (Carry all ID Docs plus proof of PRC renewal app and anticipate delays).

I'd make IRCC aware of the booked trip (include itinerary and highlight the departure date) in the PRC renewal application. It's worth a try.

Last edited by Snowy560; May 23rd 2018 at 11:30 pm.
Old May 23rd 2018, 11:51 pm

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you Siouxie, you are always so helpful. I hope you're feeling much better now 😗

Ok, so his options are limited. The paperwork has been dropped off with our local UPS, the quickest route. He just has to keep his fingers crossed for a quickie turnaround time 🤞. Maybe he'll listen to his old ma in future instead of thinking I'm just nagging for the sake of it hehehe.

All the best
DP
Old May 23rd 2018, 11:57 pm

Thank you snowy. I did wonder about including a cover letter but after asking a few peops they all thought the processing dept might think 'well la di dah, lucky old you going to Hawaii but that doesn't make you special 😋'. Anyhow it's gone now via UPS overnight so hopefully they'll take the hint that a couriered overnight application means someone's panicking. Only time will tell. 😓
Old May 24th 2018, 12:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

They are not going to rush his PR card...expect a wait and the possibility they will ask for additional info..delaying it further. That said...my daughters boyfriend is a CBSA officer and, because I had questions about traveling before receiving my renewal, he was clear that they cannot deny a PR entry without a PR card. Although good to have your record of landing with you. I returned from Peru more than a few times without my PR card (expired) and was only once asked for it...told them it had expired and it was too late to replace it in time. I also had my record of landing with me. The land crossing suggestion that was made is a good suggesting if you are too concerned. Bear in mind that when asked the purpose of your visit to Canada..you are best to say you are a PR and not make up some story. Also..carry with you proof of your application for renewal and a screen shot of the page that shows the application was received. As well .. the expired card.

Last edited by dakota44; May 24th 2018 at 12:33 am.
Old May 24th 2018, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
They are not going to rush his PR card...expect a wait and the possibility they will ask for additional info..delaying it further. That said...my daughters boyfriend is a CBSA officer and, because I had questions about traveling before receiving my renewal, he was clear that they cannot deny a PR entry without a PR card. Although good to have your record of landing with you. I returned from Peru more than a few times without my PR card (expired) and was only once asked for it...told them it had expired and it was too late to replace it in time. I also had my record of landing with me. The land crossing suggestion that was made is a good suggesting if you are too concerned. Bear in mind that when asked the purpose of your visit to Canada..you are best to say you are a PR and not make up some story. Also..carry with you proof of your application for renewal and a screen shot of the page that shows the application was received. As well .. the expired card.
Airline MAY refuse boarding without valid documentation. Worth checking before you fly out.
Old May 24th 2018, 1:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glendem4

Airline MAY refuse boarding without valid documentation. Worth checking before you fly out.
I would say the airline WILL refuse boarding without a valid PR card. I had a similar problem whe I was awaiting my first PR card. Although I had a letter from CIC confirming I was a PR...the airline wouldn’t accept it. In the end I told them I was a US citizen and therefore didn’t need any other documentation other than my US passport to enter Canada. With that they allowed me to board the plane.
Old May 24th 2018, 2:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glendem4

that is one thing I should have mentioned. Did not think to because it didn't apply to me as a U.S. citizen. So yes..flying out of U.S. and returning to U.S. to cross boarder from there might be best.
Old May 24th 2018, 2:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

that is one thing I should have mentioned. Did not think to because it didn't apply to me as a U.S. citizen. So yes..flying out of U.S. and returning to U.S. to cross boarder from there might be best.
My daughter is a USC...she applied for her PR card to be renewed last fall...still no sign of it. She is able to enter Canada from the US without it...but she tells me she would not be able to do so by air. If she did and entered as a USC and not as a Canadian PR...she wouldn’t be allowed to work.
Old May 24th 2018, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My daughter is a USC...she applied for her PR card to be renewed last fall...still no sign of it. She is able to enter Canada from the US without it...but she tells me she would not be able to do so by air. If she did and entered as a USC and not as a Canadian PR...she wouldn’t be allowed to work.
I seiously disagree with the not able to work part. She is still legally a PR and as such can work. They cannot change your status at the entry point. Plus..she has SIN and can work. I reentered on my US passport in 2015 and went to work. I did so again in 2016.

Last edited by dakota44; May 24th 2018 at 3:16 am.
Old May 24th 2018, 4:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I seiously disagree with the not able to work part. She is still legally a PR and as such can work. They cannot change your status at the entry point. Plus..she has SIN and can work. I reentered on my US passport in 2015 and went to work. I did so again in 2016.
Thanks for that D...I will pass it on.
Old May 24th 2018, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Thanks for that D...I will pass it on.
no problem.
Old May 24th 2018, 4:21 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes!

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...pr-status.html

Last edited by Siouxie; May 24th 2018 at 4:23 am.
Old May 31st 2018, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

A friend flew to the US westcoast in the past month from MB his pr card was expired no problem .......BUT a week later was refused boarding back to MB.! so flew to grand forks (internal US ) no problem and hired a car and drove back home crossed the border no problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.