British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Travelling with an expired PR card...is this possible? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/travelling-expired-pr-card-possible-810110/)

Paul_Shepherd Sep 23rd 2013 4:22 pm

Travelling with an expired PR card...is this possible?

Hi all,

I have applied to renew my PR card (which expires in October) almost 2 months ago now, at the time I didn’t realize quite how long processing would take….it stood at 111 calendar days!!! Just for a card renewal!! I shall be travelling to Cuba in November and at present there is no remote sign of my new card being processed.

I visited the website and processing can be expedited if you have proof of travel dates and proof of purchase which I now have, however, if I now want my application expedited there are two processes, it says if processing hasn’t yet begun, I have to resubmit the entire package including new photos, I find this very annoying and frustrating as putting that package together was time consuming in the first place, not too mention additional expense of new pictures and the another courier.

So….here are my options:

1. Wait a little longer for them to start processing as the process to expedite by then is a lot easier, I would simply have to email the additional info with scanned copies of proof of travel etc.

2. Submit an entire new package with copies of proof of travel documents asap and everything I submitted before with the exception the processing fee.

3. Wait until my card is processed and hope for the best, I sent the initial application by courier on 22nd July! I mean how long does a straight forward renewal take!

On the outside chance if I ended up with option three….and I didn’t have my new PR card when I travelled to Cuba, does anyone know where I would stand getting back into Canada? Would I even be allowed to enter Cuba on a British passport with an expired PR card?

Thanks,

Paul

Former Lancastrian Sep 23rd 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Travelling with an expired PR card...is this possible?

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 10914215)
Hi all,

I have applied to renew my PR card (which expires in October) almost 2 months ago now, at the time I didn’t realize quite how long processing would take….it stood at 111 calendar days!!! Just for a card renewal!! I shall be travelling to Cuba in November and at present there is no remote sign of my new card being processed.

I visited the website and processing can be expedited if you have proof of travel dates and proof of purchase which I now have, however, if I now want my application expedited there are two processes, it says if processing hasn’t yet begun, I have to resubmit the entire package including new photos, I find this very annoying and frustrating as putting that package together was time consuming in the first place, not too mention additional expense of new pictures and the another courier.

So….here are my options:

1. Wait a little longer for them to start processing as the process to expedite by then is a lot easier, I would simply have to email the additional info with scanned copies of proof of travel etc.

2. Submit an entire new package with copies of proof of travel documents asap and everything I submitted before with the exception the processing fee.

3. Wait until my card is processed and hope for the best, I sent the initial application by courier on 22nd July! I mean how long does a straight forward renewal take!

On the outside chance if I ended up with option three….and I didn’t have my new PR card when I travelled to Cuba, does anyone know where I would stand getting back into Canada? Would I even be allowed to enter Cuba on a British passport with an expired PR card?

Thanks,

Paul

I would seriously suggest that you dont travel with an expired PR card. Im assuming you are travelling with a charter airline to Cuba and they have asked for PR cards before.
I would consider option #1.
How come you havent applied for citizenship yet? Saves renewing a PR card every 5 years and going through this;)

Steve_ Sep 23rd 2013 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 10914215)

Thanks,

Paul

Under the travel regs, carriers aren't supposed to let you board unless you have evidence you are allowed to be in Canada. There is a way around it usually, i.e. travel to the US and enter by land but you can't do that from Cuba obviously.

Because you've got a British passport and British citizens can visit without a visa you might get away with it but it's not advisable. You're supposed to get a one-time entry visa from the consulate.

The only way to get a PR card renewed in any sort of sensible time is to go for expedited renewal, so many people do that regular renewal takes forever.

I always think it is nuts because they should make the PR card valid for ten years, by which time most people would be citizens. It's only because citizenship applications take so long you need to renew the damn thing.

ann m Sep 23rd 2013 7:00 pm

Former Lancastrian has offered his official advice - and that's great.

Did you take copies of all your renewal forms?

I would take a folder of proof with you that you are a PR... copies of your renewal documentation, your original landing documentation, copies of your mortgage/rental agreement, copies of your last pay slip, log in to your bank online and be able to prove ongoing deposits/car payments/utilities, whatever. Tuck it all in envelope under your beach towel and be prepared to prove that a) you legally live in Canada and b) your life is in Canada.

I know that's not the official answer (;)) but that is what I have done before - and then was never asked for the flippin' card anyway!

Turtle Sep 23rd 2013 8:01 pm

We had the same problem when we went back to Manchester for a visit in 2009 - we didn't realise the PR cards needed renewing until the week before we went (I know, p***-poor planning). So we took all of our documentation with us and went along to the embassy in London to get a one-time-only PR Visa. We were done & dusted in 45 minutes and spent the rest of day sightseeing.

So it can be done, but if there's any chance you can get your expedited renewal before you go then I would go that route.

Paul_Shepherd Sep 23rd 2013 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 10914260)
I would seriously suggest that you dont travel with an expired PR card. Im assuming you are travelling with a charter airline to Cuba and they have asked for PR cards before.
I would consider option #1.
How come you havent applied for citizenship yet? Saves renewing a PR card every 5 years and going through this;)

Hmm...I am going with option 1 for the time being, but it would be nice to have it all done and dusted instead of waiting in the balance.

Im just in the process of applying for citizenship, so I wont have to do this the next time around.

Paul_Shepherd Sep 23rd 2013 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 10914497)
Former Lancastrian has offered his official advice - and that's great.

Did you take copies of all your renewal forms?

I would take a folder of proof with you that you are a PR... copies of your renewal documentation, your original landing documentation, copies of your mortgage/rental agreement, copies of your last pay slip, log in to your bank online and be able to prove ongoing deposits/car payments/utilities, whatever. Tuck it all in envelope under your beach towel and be prepared to prove that a) you legally live in Canada and b) your life is in Canada.

I know that's not the official answer (;)) but that is what I have done before - and then was never asked for the flippin' card anyway!

Hi Ann,

Yes I did take copies of my forms, and yes I suppose if I take all my documentation that proves I am a Canadian resident, bank statements mortgage, then that should stand in my corner.

Im going to try and get it it expedited, but I have paid for this holiday now so im going! end of! Red tape really is a killer when it comes to this sort of thing..... Hopefully ill be a citizen in the next 18 months or so, so I wont have to worry about stuff like this!

Thanks for the feed back,

Paul

Paul_Shepherd Sep 23rd 2013 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 10914446)
Under the travel regs, carriers aren't supposed to let you board unless you have evidence you are allowed to be in Canada. There is a way around it usually, i.e. travel to the US and enter by land but you can't do that from Cuba obviously.

Because you've got a British passport and British citizens can visit without a visa you might get away with it but it's not advisable. You're supposed to get a one-time entry visa from the consulate.

The only way to get a PR card renewed in any sort of sensible time is to go for expedited renewal, so many people do that regular renewal takes forever.

I always think it is nuts because they should make the PR card valid for ten years, by which time most people would be citizens. It's only because citizenship applications take so long you need to renew the damn thing.

I should have waited until I had to booked my holiday and gone straight through the expedited process....but no I tried to go through it the right way, and still after two months it hasn't been even looked at! Grrr!

Yes a valid PR card for 10years would make life a lot easier, however as this is my first PR card about to expire, I don't intend to have to go through it again, as I should be a citizen by then.,.....I hope! as you say they take so long! I think a citizenship application is between 18-24months now!

jaysangha Sep 25th 2013 1:39 pm

I had the same issue, flying to Atlanta for work and still waiting for the PR card to arrive. Eventhough I called CIC, all they did was reado off the text on the website.
I scanned my itinirary and existing PR and sent them email requesting urgent processing. My card arrived within two weeks eventhough the website was showing they hadn't even started looking at the renewal. Worth a try

Collie Sep 25th 2013 4:42 pm

I tried to get it expedited last year: sent the booking receipt for my flight (it had been booked and paid for by a university in the UK - not me - though I was named as the passenger). They didn't process it and returned it several weeks later saying that the documentation was insufficient. By which time I'd been and returned, stopping off at the London embassy for a visa. I basically wouldn't trust the ***s in CIC to process anything promptly if at all.

nldfc Sep 25th 2013 5:36 pm

I went to Cuba in April this year with Sunwing carrying an expired pr card .

The airline took my passport away to photocopy at St Johns airport (Wife and kids were copied in front off us) but nothing was said about the card - On landing in Cuba I was singled out in the crowd prior to going through immigration and asked to produce my card , when she noticed it was expired she asked a few questions and asked for proof my application was in , I had the postal stub and photocopies of the application on me so everything was good .
Leaving Cuba I was asked if the UK was a visa waiver country and asked to show the expired card again then let through with no other problems .

Coming back into Canada CBSA didn't say a word about the expired card

I don't think I would be in a hurry to try it again unless I was desperate - as I had visions of being put on the 1st flight back to Canada .

nldfc Sep 25th 2013 5:36 pm

sorry - double post