Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

TRAVELLING FROM CANADA TO USA ON BRITISH PASSPORT ?

TRAVELLING FROM CANADA TO USA ON BRITISH PASSPORT ?

Old Sep 24th 2010, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

ENGLANDIA will become famous soon enough
Default TRAVELLING FROM CANADA TO USA ON BRITISH PASSPORT ?

Hello, i,ve travelled across the USA border by car a few times. I normally have to pay $6 for 3 mths + have photo taken + fingerprint taken. I havn,t been across for nearly a year now.
I have booked return flights from Vancouver to San Francisco for this weekend.
Will i need to go thru the same process of paying $6 for 3 mths + having my photo/fingerprints taken etc.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 6:47 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: TRAVELLING FROM CANADA TO USA ON BRITISH PASSPORT ?

don't know - but if flying to usa with british passport you need ESTA
< erroneous link removed>

i almost missed my flight few months back, as frantically filling out form on-line
- not that well advertised (i guess as Cdns are exempt)

Last edited by iaink; Sep 29th 2010 at 1:17 pm. Reason: < erroneous link removed>
Old Sep 24th 2010, 6:55 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

The Department of Homeland Security recommends that ESTA travel authorization applications be submitted at least 72 hours prior to travel.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
don't know - but if flying to usa with british passport you need this

i almost missed my flight few months back, as frantically filling out form on-line
My flight is booked for Sat 25th SEP , will i need to cancel the flight as its less than the 72 hr notice for that ESTA.
I only live 15 mins from the USA border , can i go there and fill it in.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 29th 2010 at 1:17 pm. Reason: < erroneous link removed>
Old Sep 24th 2010, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ENGLANDIA
My flight is booked for Sat 25th SEP , will i need to cancel the flight as its less than the 72 hr notice for that ESTA.
you should be okay go now and fill it in online it only takes a few minutes and in "most" case is approved right away.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

davesol is an unknown quantity at this point

Will i need to go thru the same process of paying $6 for 3 mths + having my photo/fingerprints taken etc.
you won't need to pay the $6 for the visa waiver form if you are flying, it's pre-payed by the airline and included in the cost of your flight. you'll have your photo / fingerprints taken when you land and got through passport control

Edit: forgot to say that you now have to pay for the ESTA, $14 I think but it lasts for 2 years

Last edited by davesol; Sep 24th 2010 at 7:57 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 8:14 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

i filled mine out at a westjet computer at airport, after discovering the check-in guy was'nt on a wind up - then re-joined the check-in
Old Sep 24th 2010, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by davesol
you won't need to pay the $6 for the visa waiver form if you are flying, it's pre-payed by the airline and included in the cost of your flight. you'll have your photo / fingerprints taken when you land and got through passport control

Edit: forgot to say that you now have to pay for the ESTA, $14 I think but it lasts for 2 years
Just got back from the Peace Arch USA border . I paid $6 and the green 194w card is stapled to my Brit Passport. I asked the USA officer and he said that i won,t need the ESTA as i have this green card in my passport.
If i do need the ESTA when i get to the Airport , how much does it cost ?
Old Sep 25th 2010, 3:05 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back from the Peace Arch USA border . I paid $6 and the green 194w card is stapled to my Brit Passport. I asked the USA officer and he said that i won,t need the ESTA as i have this green card in my passport.
If i do need the ESTA when i get to the Airport , how much does it cost ?
ESTA is free, lasts 2 years I believe, and can only be obtained online. Fill it out, it's not complicated and may save you a lot of hassle.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 3:17 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
don't know - but if flying to usa with british passport you need this

That link is not to the official website but to a website that charges much more for the same thing.

This is the official website:

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.h...3-8F82743B6849

Last edited by iaink; Sep 29th 2010 at 1:17 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

davesol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
ESTA is free, lasts 2 years I believe, and can only be obtained online. Fill it out, it's not complicated and may save you a lot of hassle.
as of 8th september they started charging a $14 fee
Old Sep 25th 2010, 6:44 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davesol
as of 8th september they started charging a $14 fee
Ah okay then, that's interesting.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

johnehsmith will become famous soon enough

If you are British and you travel to NewYork, for example. Try not to leave your passport and PR card in the back of a yellow cab that has dropped you at your hotel like I did this week.

As luck would have it I managed to retrieve it by getting another cab
back to the airport and getting the taxi supervisor to trace my journey to a cab which had fortunately returned to the airport. Lucky me!
Old Sep 28th 2010, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

Hello, i,ve travelled across the USA border by car a few times. I normally have to pay $6 for 3 mths + have photo taken + fingerprint taken. I havn,t been across for nearly a year now.
I have booked return flights from Vancouver to San Francisco for this weekend.
I have just got back from USA . I did not need to fill in the ESTA as i had the green visa waiver card 194 -w.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

DESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really niceDESERTFOX is just really nice

We are planning to travel to southern states in US at the end of the month flying from Bellingham. We will drive from Vancouver to Bellingham. Will the green I94 card be sufficient or do we need to get this ESTA thingy? many thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.