Reload this Page >

Travelling from Calgary to Banff and beyond

Travelling from Calgary to Banff and beyond

Old Jan 7th 2006, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

willser is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Travelling from Calgary to Banff and beyond

Hi.

First time we have ever done this, but there is a reason. We are booked a holiday to calgary and will be travelling with car and caravan up to Rockies, then down to vancouver and back to Calgary over a three week period with four children. Any ideas on what to pack and places to visit. Will be looking at properties as there is a possibility if we like what we see of emigrating there in about 12 months time?
Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:04 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling from Calgary to Banff and beyond

Hi there and welcome, have a quick look back to some recent posts on this forum about Calgary-Vancouver trips, you'll see a couple of interesting threads about this.

Then use the 'search' and 'advanced search' options to find more, then once browsed there, post some specific questions and you're sure to get good responses and useful info.

Good luck,

Rich.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:06 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willser
Hi.

First time we have ever done this, but there is a reason. We are booked a holiday to calgary and will be travelling with car and caravan up to Rockies, then down to vancouver and back to Calgary over a three week period with four children. Any ideas on what to pack and places to visit. Will be looking at properties as there is a possibility if we like what we see of emigrating there in about 12 months time?
I presume you've already applied to become residents of canada?
Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:11 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum, Willser. As Rich said, this very issue has been addressed in the last three days or so.

I have a web site about travelling to Calgary, the Canadian Rockies, Vancouver and Victoria.

I provide suggested itineraries of different lengths. If you go to the Rockies section, you'll find links to web sites about campgrounds and a link to the Open Roads Forum, which is dedicated to travelling in RVs (recreational vehicles). (North Americans call caravans trailers. ). If you go to the TIPS section of my site, there are links to information about Weather, What To Pack, National Park Entry Fees, a web site on which you can look up driving times and distances, web sites from which you can order free maps and travel guides, etc., etc.

To get a sense of what kind of property is available on the market, you can look at the Multiple Listing Service web site.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
I presume you've already applied to become residents of canada?
No not yet, will decide when we come back. Need to find out whether you can move out there and then apply? Will be speaking to our financial adviser on Tuesday of his thoughts and where we go from here?
Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Hi there and welcome, have a quick look back to some recent posts on this forum about Calgary-Vancouver trips, you'll see a couple of interesting threads about this.

Then use the 'search' and 'advanced search' options to find more, then once browsed there, post some specific questions and you're sure to get good responses and useful info.

Good luck,

Rich.
Thanks for that, new to all of this and will definately check out other threads,
cheers mate
Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:15 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

No not yet, will decide when we come back. Need to find out whether you can move out there and then apply? Will be speaking to our financial adviser on Tuesday of his thoughts and where we go from here?

Well afraid to tell you that unless you have a canadian spouse or come as a business immigrant NO way will you be 'here' in 12 months.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice

Thanks for that, new to all of this and will definately check out other threads,
cheers mate
Hi,

would recommend a stop off in Canmore, about hour out from Calgary, and 10 mins away from Banff. Abit like Banff, but on alot smaller scale. When my sister and I lived there it was becoming very touristy and very expensive, (the reason my sister came to NS), but a very lovely place just to go through and have a walk around. Have a good trip. I will get back to the rockies someday, very beautiful.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:19 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by wensamjam
Hi,

would recommend a stop off in Canmore, about hour out from Calgary, and 10 mins away from Banff. Abit like Banff, but on alot smaller scale. When my sister and I lived there it was becoming very touristy and very expensive, (the reason my sister came to NS), but a very lovely place just to go through and have a walk around. Have a good trip. I will get back to the rockies someday, very beautiful.
IMHO Canmore has more to recommend it than Banff.
Only problem with it is it just a little further from the slopes!!!
Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:33 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO Canmore has more to recommend it than Banff.
Only problem with it is it just a little further from the slopes!!!
Banff I believe is currently restricted, property-buying wise, to parks workers ? Due to regulatory and planning control. Peeps waiting for others to move out I believe ?

Tough time with getting realty there for the average bod ?

Rich
Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:41 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Well afraid to tell you that unless you have a canadian spouse or come as a business immigrant NO way will you be 'here' in 12 months.
Further to what Butch Cassidy said, the application process for a permanent residence permit for people who apply as skilled workers seems to be taking about 3 years at the moment.

Some people apply for a work permit, which is a temporary permit. Once they have a work permit in hand, they apply for a permanent residence permit. The advantage of a work permit is that it takes a shorter time to get.

There can be some disadvantages to a work permit. For example, the employer has to demonstrate that he/she cannot find a willing and able citizen or permanent resident of Canada to fill the slot that you'll be filling.

Work permits often come with conditions attached to them. For example, the work permit may be valid as long as you're working for a specific employer. If your relationship with that employer is severed, so is your work permit.

In some Canadian school jurisdictions, public (i.e., government-funded) schools treat children of work permit holders the same as permanent residents, and give them free schooling. That is true in Calgary for sure, and I believe it's true for the whole of Ontario too. Some jurisdictions, however, treat children of work permit holders like foreign students, and charge them about 10,000 CAD per child per year for schooling. (This can vary from one school jurisdiction to another even in the same province.)

You might want to check out the information about applying as a Business Class Immigrant or one of the Provincial Nomination Programs.

You can use Citizenship and Immigration Canada's self-assessment tool to calculate if you would get enough points to qualify as a skilled worker if you applied for permanent residence.

Once you're on CIC's web site, you can use it to check out the details about applying for the different types of permits.

There are very mixed opinions on this forum about the necessity of hiring an immigration consultant to lodge your application for you. There are people who think you need an immigration consultant under all circumstances, and there are people who think you need one only if your case is unusual.

Several people around here have successfully applied for permanent residence permits as skilled workers on their own. That approach requires a lot of diligence to ensure you've dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's. Really do your home work on this forum and elsewhere. But when you're asking questions related to immigration, it's best to ask them on the Immigration Forum rather than the Lifetsyle & Culture Forum.

I would recommend an immigration consultant if your case is unusual, especially if you apply for admission as a business class immigrant.

You're on the right track when it comes to consulting a financial adviser. A good FA can save you money by helping you to find the best way to move your assets to Canada, to minimise your taxes, etc.

Whether you migrate to Canada or not, I think a trip through the Rockies to Vancouver is highly worthwhile.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:45 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Further to what Butch Cassidy said, the application process for a permanent residence permit for people who apply as skilled workers seems to be taking about 3 years at the moment.

Some people apply for a work permit, which is a temporary permit. Once they have a work permit in hand, they apply for a permanent residence permit. The advantage of a work permit is that it takes a shorter time to get.

There can be some disadvantages to a work permit. For example, the employer has to demonstrate that he/she cannot find a willing and able citizen or permanent resident of Canada to fill the slot that you'll be filling.

Work permits often come with conditions attached to them. For example, the work permit may be valid as long as you're working for a specific employer. If your relationship with that employer is severed, so is your work permit.

In some Canadian school jurisdictions, public (i.e., government-funded) schools treat children of work permit holders the same as permanent residents, and give them free schooling. That is true in Calgary for sure, and I believe it's true for the whole of Ontario too. Some jurisdictions, however, treat children of work permit holders like foreign students, and charge them about 10,000 CAD per child per year for schooling. (This can vary from one school jurisdiction to another even in the same province.)

You might want to check out the information about applying as a Business Class Immigrant or one of the Provincial Nomination Programs.

You can use Citizenship and Immigration Canada's self-assessment tool to calculate if you would get enough points to qualify as a skilled worker if you applied for permanent residence.

Once you're on CIC's web site, you can use it to check out the details about applying for the different types of permits.

There are very mixed opinions on this forum about the necessity of hiring an immigration consultant to lodge your application for you. There are people who think you need an immigration consultant under all circumstances, and there are people who think you need one only if your case is unusual.

Several people around here have successfully applied for permanent residence permits as skilled workers on their own. That approach requires a lot of diligence to ensure you've dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's. Really do your home work on this forum and elsewhere. But when you're asking questions related to immigration, it's best to ask them on the Immigration Forum rather than the Lifetsyle & Culture Forum.

I would recommend an immigration consultant if your case is unusual, especially if you apply for admission as a business class immigrant.

You're on the right track when it comes to consulting a financial adviser. A good FA can save you money by helping you to find the best way to move your assets to Canada, to minimise your taxes, etc.

Whether you migrate to Canada or not, I think a trip through the Rockies to Vancouver is highly worthwhile.

Excellent contibution go to top of class and collect the Karma I just gave you
Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

h_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of light

Last autumn we travelled around 2.5k km from Calgary up through Rockies covering Bragg Creek, Cochrane, Canmore, Banff, Golden, Invermere, Windemere, Radium, Revelstoke and a quick trip to a vineyard in north Okanagan. We didn't do the whole loop around to Vancouver but did the above in around 2 weeks (incl. time off in Banff at the end of the trip). You continue the loop from Revelstoke, through Siccamous and Kamloops to Vancouver. Kelowna's supposed to be nice but we didn't make it that far.
Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Judy in Calgary]Further to what Butch Cassidy said, the application process for a permanent residence permit for people who apply as skilled workers seems to be taking about 3 years at the moment.

I too have tried to give you some karma, but I'm afraid I'm not allowed.
Sorry
Linda
Old Jan 7th 2006, 9:58 pm
Banned

[QUOTE=Linda P]
Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary

I too have tried to give you some karma, but I'm afraid I'm not allowed.
Sorry
Linda
you can give it me Linda!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.