Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Travelling back to UK with newborn

Travelling back to UK with newborn

Old Jul 27th 2022, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

jermainedeffo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travelling back to UK with newborn

My partner and I are British citizens that have been living in Canada for the past 5 years. We need to travel back to the UK with our newborn who is a Canadian citizen with a Canadian passport. We are in the process of applying for her UK passport but it hasn't arrived yet.

If we are visiting temporarily do we need a visitor visa for her? If we move back permanently do we need to wait until she has her UK passport before travelling back?
Old Jul 27th 2022, 10:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling back to UK with newborn

Originally Posted by jermainedeffo
My partner and I are British citizens that have been living in Canada for the past 5 years. We need to travel back to the UK with our newborn who is a Canadian citizen with a Canadian passport. We are in the process of applying for her UK passport but it hasn't arrived yet.

If we are visiting temporarily do we need a visitor visa for her? If we move back permanently do we need to wait until she has her UK passport before travelling back?
No she does not need a visa. Our granddaughter has been to the UK and she doesn’t have a UK PP yet.
Old Jul 27th 2022, 10:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

No, and No. ... Though it would be preferable if moving back permanently, that she entered on a British passport, but it isn't strictly necessary and wouldn't create insurmountable problems.
Old Jul 27th 2022, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

jermainedeffo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
No, and No. ... Though it would be preferable if moving back permanently, that she entered on a British passport, but it isn't strictly necessary and wouldn't create insurmountable problems.
Thanks. What problems does entering on a Canadian passport present if moving back permanently?
Old Jul 27th 2022, 11:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jermainedeffo
Thanks. What problems does entering on a Canadian passport present if moving back permanently?
Like I said, nothing major, it just means some extra paperwork - such as registering with the NHS as she "doesn't exist" as a British citizen, either through registered birth or issued passport.