Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Traveling with out a PR card

Traveling with out a PR card

Old Jun 13th 2010, 2:41 pm
Purpe80 in another life..

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Traveling with out a PR card

OH and middle child are traveling to the UK in July, we landed in May and it appears unlikely that our PR cards will have arrived by the time they fly.
From what I have read this means that they both need a Travel Document to re-enter Canada?

Anyone have any experience of this, how long it takes to get this document? I am thinking of having the Travel Document sent to his parent's house in the UK.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 3:05 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Traveling with out a PR card

Originally Posted by Clematis
OH and middle child are traveling to the UK in July, we landed in May and it appears unlikely that our PR cards will have arrived by the time they fly.
From what I have read this means that they both need a Travel Document to re-enter Canada?

Anyone have any experience of this, how long it takes to get this document? I am thinking of having the Travel Document sent to his parent's house in the UK.
I think this is what you might need http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...how.asp#urgent the section called You require urgent processing of your Permanent Resident Card application

The website also says it's 40 days processing time for a PR card so in theory, ehem, they should be arriving anytime. There's a call centre to chase them up 1-888-242‑2100

Last edited by fledermaus; Jun 13th 2010 at 3:09 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Colocally is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not sure, but surely if you are from the UK you don't need to use anything but your passport as the UK is a Visa exempt country?
Old Jun 13th 2010, 3:30 pm

Clematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond reputeClematis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I think this is what you might need http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...how.asp#urgent the section called You require urgent processing of your Permanent Resident Card application

The website also says it's 40 days processing time for a PR card so in theory, ehem, they should be arriving anytime. There's a call centre to chase them up 1-888-242‑2100
We have already applied for them, I may try calling tomorrow, I had seen on here that some people who applied in April were only just getting their cards now.....

Originally Posted by Colocally
I am not sure, but surely if you are from the UK you don't need to use anything but your passport as the UK is a Visa exempt country?
If my understanding is correct you still need the Travel document, it's not about your status in UK, it's about your status in Canada. When we landed in Canada the IO made a big point of stating that if we left Canada before PR cards arrived we would need this document to get back into Canada.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

bear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nice

We have already applied for them, I may try calling tomorrow, I had seen on here that some people who applied in April were only just getting their cards now.....

If my understanding is correct you still need the Travel document, it's not about your status in UK, it's about your status in Canada. When we landed in Canada the IO made a big point of stating that if we left Canada before PR cards arrived we would need this document to get back into Canada.
The only doc you need to leave and get back into Canada is the one they attached to your passport when we landed. Although is says not for travel, they changed the rules last Sept. We landed at Coutts on the 1st April this year then went to Mexico on the 10th, no problem at all. I did print off the CIC site the statement that allows you to travel before you recieve your card though just in case, but we had no probs at all. Good luck
Old Jun 13th 2010, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

bear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nice

[QUOTE=bear-diesel;8630348]The only doc you need to leave and get back into Canada is the one they attached to your passport when we landed. Although is says not for travel, they changed the rules last Sept. We landed at Coutts on the 1st April this year then went to Mexico on the 10th, no problem at all. I did print off the CIC site the statement that allows you to travel before you recieve your card though just in case, but we had no probs at all. Good luck[/QUOTE

I don't know how to attach but if you go to cic web, click get a pr card, click FAQ, click question 12 and print this off to take with you. We did not need it as the check in guy we saw was up to date. They just photocopied the COPR form. It is the leaving of Canada that you have to prove you have the right to re-enter not the coming back in we found,
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by bear-diesel
The only doc you need to leave and get back into Canada is the one they attached to your passport when we landed. Although is says not for travel, they changed the rules last Sept. We landed at Coutts on the 1st April this year then went to Mexico on the 10th, no problem at all. I did print off the CIC site the statement that allows you to travel before you recieve your card though just in case, but we had no probs at all. Good luck
Thanks, I take it you flew to Mexico?

Originally Posted by bear-diesel
The only doc you need to leave and get back into Canada is the one they attached to your passport when we landed. Although is says not for travel, they changed the rules last Sept. We landed at Coutts on the 1st April this year then went to Mexico on the 10th, no problem at all. I did print off the CIC site the statement that allows you to travel before you recieve your card though just in case, but we had no probs at all. Good luck[/QUOTE

I don't know how to attach but if you go to cic web, click get a pr card, click FAQ, click question 12 and print this off to take with you. We did not need it as the check in guy we saw was up to date. They just photocopied the COPR form. It is the leaving of Canada that you have to prove you have the right to re-enter not the coming back in we found,
You mean this?

When you look at it, it says re-entry by car, mentions nothing about flying in?
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, I take it you flew to Mexico?

You mean this?

When you look at it, it says re-entry by car, mentions nothing about flying in?
IF you actually read q12, it states "no matter how you travel back to Canada" I guess the writer was coming back by car.....yes we did fly to Mexico as we only had a week off.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 12:11 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Read, absorb, etc.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Perman...nt_Card-Canada
Old Jun 15th 2010, 12:13 am

Default Re: Traveling without a PR card

Originally Posted by JAJ
So read, absorbed, etc.

For us the only issue could be how long it takes to get a Travel Document, could OH return to Canada under his Work Permit which is still valid?
Old Jun 15th 2010, 12:52 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you ring them at all Clem? I really think that link I found does apply to you. You are more than 30 days since you applied for your card, ie when you landed. So if you courier off the documents required and marked “Urgent—Proof of travel included” on your envelope then you should get everything back in time.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 1:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling without a PR card

So read, absorbed, etc.

For us the only issue could be how long it takes to get a Travel Document, could OH return to Canada under his Work Permit which is still valid?
A work permit is not valid for travel.

Did you really read the article, paying particular attention to what it says about travel without the PR Card?
Old Jun 15th 2010, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Did you ring them at all Clem? I really think that link I found does apply to you. You are more than 30 days since you applied for your card, ie when you landed. So if you courier off the documents required and marked “Urgent—Proof of travel included” on your envelope then you should get everything back in time.
I tried today, I plan on calling again tomorrow.....

Originally Posted by JAJ
A work permit is not valid for travel.

Did you really read the article, paying particular attention to what it says about travel without the PR Card?
The Work Permit does not need to be valid for travel, it just needs to show to the Carrier that Canada will let my OH in!

I did read that, and as it pertains to us I paid particular attention to the part you mentioned. The part that I am unsure about is the fact that OH will be on the return portion of his flight, and that as it is the Carriers responsibility to check that the person flying has the correct entry requirements and will be allowed into Canada.

The issue is not Immigration, it is the Carrier.

Last edited by Clematis; Jun 15th 2010 at 2:35 am. Reason: Tried to give Fledermaus karma, I need to spread it around though apparently.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 2:38 am
JAJ
Retired

The Work Permit does not need to be valid for travel, it just needs to show to the Carrier that Canada will let my OH in!

I did read that, and as it pertains to us I paid particular attention to the part you mentioned. The part that I am unsure about is the fact that OH will be on the return portion of his flight, and that as it is the Carriers responsibility to check that the person flying has the correct entry requirements and will be allowed into Canada.

Work permit doesn't prove anything. Once again, the passport is the travel document and is enough on its own. Who is he flying with - Air Canada, or a "charter" airline?
Old Jun 15th 2010, 2:57 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know where you read that, but it is wrong. It is the travelers responsibility to make sure they have the correct travel and entry documentation. The airline checks because it does not want to get landed with taking a passenger back again. Immigration check to make sure the person can legally enter the country.

As a rule on a one way the airline will check and may refuse boarding. If however they don't and it has happened, the traveler is responsible for any costs incurred for getting back from whence they came.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.