British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Traveling with dogs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/traveling-dogs-937545/)

Beckstarrrrr Mar 8th 2021 8:11 pm

Traveling with dogs

Hello, I am looking to relocate from the UK to Canada in the next couple of years with my three dachshunds but the plane journey really worries me. I know that you can fly out from Heathrow with dogs in cabin with certain airlines.

Those of you that have flown with their dogs in cabin, did they settle ok? What preparation did you do beforehand?

What happens if they don't settle and bark/whine the entire flight?!

Any tips/reassurance/alternative options would be greatly appreciated 🙂

scilly Mar 9th 2021 2:20 am

Re: Traveling with dogs

welcome to BE

Exciting for you.

I've never flown with dogs ............. but I understand from previous posts that it might well be 1 dog to 1 passenger.

Many people have flown with dogs in the cargo hold or even on a separate plane .......... and the dogs have been fine, much better than their owners!

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 9th 2021 2:30 am

Airlines usually have limits on cabin pets, you may not be able to bring 3 dogs with you in the cabin and will almost certainly have to put them below in the cargo area, best to see what airlines are an option and check directly with them for their policy.

ArekDeBoss Mar 14th 2021 9:32 pm

Send them as a cargo. Dogs couldn't care less. Direct flight is only few hours long.
they will need crates big enough but pet travel companies will guide you. Costs much more than a cabin trip though.

Siouxie Mar 15th 2021 3:20 am

Originally Posted by ArekDeBoss (Post 12983561)
Send them as a cargo. Dogs couldn't care less. Direct flight is only few hours long.
they will need crates big enough but pet travel companies will guide you. Costs much more than a cabin trip though.

Pets can be taken as accompanying baggage from the UK, on Air Transat / Air Canada - no agent/pet travel company required :)

ArekDeBoss Mar 15th 2021 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12983606)
Pets can be taken as accompanying baggage from the UK, on Air Transat / Air Canada - no agent/pet travel company required :)

Not sure about all 3 of them at the same time though

Siouxie Mar 15th 2021 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by ArekDeBoss (Post 12983623)
Not sure about all 3 of them at the same time though

Good point! From Air Canada - you can book 2 in the same cage... but more than 2 and you need to contact their cargo dept.

Presumably if you made 2 separate bookings you could take 2 in one crate - then 1 in a crate (or in the cabin)... e.g. John Smith books a seat, books 2 dogs as accompanying baggage then Jane Smith makes a separate booking for 1 seat then books 1 dog in the cabin / accompanying baggage or registers it as an Emotional Support Dog.. :)

Maximum number of pets allowed

Customers can send up to two pets in the same kennel in the baggage compartment following these conditions:
  • Both animals must be of the same specie (no cat and dog mixed together)
  • Two pets travelling in one kennel are counted as two pets regardless of combined weight.
You'll need to contact Air Canada Cargo (AC Animals) if you’re travelling with more than two pets.

ChrisBan Mar 16th 2021 12:26 pm

Can confirm dogs can quite easily travel as cargo in the hold. Ours did a couple years back, he just needed a day or so to decompress/sleep once he got to our condo and he was fine

AJ_2021 Mar 19th 2021 9:13 am

At the moment there are very limited options when flying pets to Canada.

As of right now, cargo is the only option and through an agent due to Covid and cargo demands. One dog will cost well over £2000 but here's to hoping that when the pandemic is under control and flights return to normal levels that the price will go down and more airlines will return to offer pet transport.

Who knows when that will be. Be very careful reviewing old posts from those who have travelled prior to Covid.

​​​Unfortunately this may have changed the airline industry long term and who knows when we will go back to the way it used to be. Heres to hoping!

ArekDeBoss Mar 19th 2021 12:37 pm

Apparently from April airtrans supposed to start their summer schedule from UK so cargo availability should improve too. So I hope.

AJ_2021 Mar 19th 2021 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by ArekDeBoss (Post 12985436)
Apparently from April airtrans supposed to start their summer schedule from UK so cargo availability should improve too. So I hope.

There are June flights online but I wouldn't trust any flight schedule right now as often the flights get rolled back and back. I certainly wouldn't trust any life move on it.

Siouxie Mar 19th 2021 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by AJ_2021 (Post 12985385)
At the moment there are very limited options when flying pets to Canada.

As of right now, cargo is the only option and through an agent due to Covid and cargo demands. One dog will cost well over £2000 but here's to hoping that when the pandemic is under control and flights return to normal levels that the price will go down and more airlines will return to offer pet transport.

Who knows when that will be. Be very careful reviewing old posts from those who have travelled prior to Covid.

​​​Unfortunately this may have changed the airline industry long term and who knows when we will go back to the way it used to be. Heres to hoping!

Air Transat and Air Canada both allow dogs in the cabin (if small enough) or as accompanying baggage; the only requirement for using an Agent appears to be if the pet is travelling by cargo to Canada -

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, international bookings for cats and dogs travelling in cargo must be made with a registered IPATA agent
Have you direct experience of this, recently? You appear to be posting on various threads on the subject.. so your personal experience would be helpful to know.

:)

Phil_Jude Jun 2nd 2021 6:24 am

We booked our flights with Air Transit and no issues. We rang them directly and they were fab. The person we spoke to was pet friendly and wanted to know all about our fur baby. When we got to Gatwick they made a huge fuss over her and there was no problems. When we picked her up in Toronto we were a mess as we were so worried about her but when she came out of her kennel she was really happy. Thought we would have problems getting her back into crate for second flight but she was fine. The staff seemed hapoy to accommodate her and we picked up a very hsppy pup in Saskatchewan. Recommend this airline for transporting pets. We looked into pet carriers, etc but wanted her to teavel with us and very happy we did this.