Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Travel Insurance whilst living in Canada

Wikiposts

Travel Insurance whilst living in Canada

Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Whiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant future
Default Travel Insurance whilst living in Canada

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help. We are currently in BC on TWP's and have the provinces MSP medical coverage but are looking for travel insurance when out of the province, in the States, back in the UK ect.

We're really struggling to find anywhere and was hoping someone could provide details of any companies they have used?

We bank with TD but for their insurance the T's and C's state you need to be a resident of Canada to apply, I've just called them to check, and only people with PR qualify, us TWP'ers don't!

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:20 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel Insurance whilst living in Canada

A resident is surely someone who lives in Canada, TWP or Permanent. We went to Orlando while on our TWP and got insurance no problem with RBC. Have used them again for this years' annual policy (check out family annual policies because they are not much dearer than one-trip policies).

Under no circumstance go without medical insurance to the USA
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

atscmc will become famous soon enoughatscmc will become famous soon enough

Hi,

I am on a TWP and have an annual travel insurance policy with TD. It took me a while to work out what status we have as TWPs, but we are Canadian residents for the length of the TWP.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 4:46 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you qualify for MSP then any travel insurance company should cover you. Also, if you have extended medical coverage through work that quite often includes medical when abroad so you might want to check that out too.

As for companies, BCAA, manulife, bluecross, or any of the banks
Old Jul 15th 2009, 4:50 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Under no circumstance go without medical insurance to the USA
I, of course, do that all the time and have done so often for twenty years. I currently have two children in the US, one resident, one visiting, neither of whom have health insurance.

For those with a lower level of risk tolerance a broker is probably a better bet than approaching a company directly. This guy did well by my parents:

http://pucherinsurance.com/

Mind, I've said that often here but have heard anything back, good or bad, about his service to posters.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

nichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud ofnichburton has much to be proud of

My wife and I have a policy with Pacific Blue Cross, we're also on 3yr TWPs.

https://www.pbchbs.com/travelweb/
Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:20 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I, of course, do that all the time and have done so often for twenty years. I currently have two children in the US, one resident, one visiting, neither of whom have health insurance.

For those with a lower level of risk tolerance a broker is probably a better bet than approaching a company directly. This guy did well by my parents:

http://pucherinsurance.com/

Mind, I've said that often here but have heard anything back, good or bad, about his service to posters.
I would never risk our health (treatment) or all that I own because I didn't want to fork out under $200 per year for family travel insurance.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:28 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
I would never risk our health (treatment) or all that I own because I didn't want to fork out under $200 per year for family travel insurance.
OK, nothing wrong with being conservative, only with holding it to be the only way to live.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 1:49 am
Just Joined

kvoisey is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry for the ignorance but I get lost in the abbreviations sometimes!

What's MSP?

The reason I'm asking is because my boyfriend and I are on BUNAC working holiday visas for 1 year and have been told that we do not qualify for medical health cards in Quebec because our working visa is not for one specific company - very annoying!

We're in the process of getting our papers together to apply for a selection certificate through Quebec and want to have health insurance that will cover us for all medical situations, including pregnancy - we don't want to have to wait until the residency comes through before starting a family out here.

Our travel insurance from the UK only covers emergencies.

Any ideas or advice would be fantastic!
Old Jul 18th 2009, 4:31 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Sears travel can provide travel insurance and so does AAA/AMA or whateve it may be called in your respective province. The only time we have taken out travel insurance when visiting the US from Canada was when we went skiing for the 1st time, we were sure if we didn't have it we would break something or fall off the mountain

Being a TWP should not cause a problem. We got our insurance online.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 4:42 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help. We are currently in BC on TWP's and have the provinces MSP medical coverage but are looking for travel insurance when out of the province, in the States, back in the UK ect.

We're really struggling to find anywhere and was hoping someone could provide details of any companies they have used?

We bank with TD but for their insurance the T's and C's state you need to be a resident of Canada to apply, I've just called them to check, and only people with PR qualify, us TWP'ers don't!

Any help would be much appreciated.
I have used this company, based in California. Its prices are very reasonable and it asks very few questions even covering for existing conditions. Pleased to say I've never had to claim but two neighbours have and found the claims payment service to be prompt and efficient.
http://www.csatravelprotection.com/w...A44E820C32475F
Old Jul 18th 2009, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Whiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant future

Got an annual policy from flight centre which is underwritten by RBC. They were much more helpful to deal with the TD and they seemed more acustomed to dealing with ppl on a TWP.

USA here we come......... after picking up my parents from YVR!

Thanks for all your help!
Old Jul 18th 2009, 8:02 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
OK, nothing wrong with being conservative, only with holding it to be the only way to live.
Being uninsured or having inadequate medical insurance is one of the main causes of bankruptcy in the US. Yes-Can-Do is right on this imo.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 3:34 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kvoisey
sorry for the ignorance but I get lost in the abbreviations sometimes!

What's MSP?

The reason I'm asking is because my boyfriend and I are on BUNAC working holiday visas for 1 year and have been told that we do not qualify for medical health cards in Quebec because our working visa is not for one specific company - very annoying!

We're in the process of getting our papers together to apply for a selection certificate through Quebec and want to have health insurance that will cover us for all medical situations, including pregnancy - we don't want to have to wait until the residency comes through before starting a family out here.

Our travel insurance from the UK only covers emergencies.

Any ideas or advice would be fantastic!
MSP stands for Medical Services Plan - the health care provided here in BC. All residents (including all temp work permit holders) qualify after you've been in BC for 3 mths. Each province has different rules, sounds like Quebec doesn't recognize BUNAC work permits.... sorry - can't be any more help as I know nothing about Quebecs health care system.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 4:51 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Being uninsured or having inadequate medical insurance is one of the main causes of bankruptcy in the US.
Not among visitors from Canada. By all means buy the insurance if it makes you more comfortable but I don't see being uninsured for the duration of a visit as being a great risk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.