Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Travel insurance for elderly parents visiting

Travel insurance for elderly parents visiting

Old Jan 29th 2024, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

Carriemcl is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Travel insurance for elderly parents visiting

Hey, just wondering if anyone can recommend a UK travel insurance company. My parents come a couple of times a year and always buy an annual insurance policy as they vacation quite a lot, but the 'staff rate' my dad got previously from being a Royal Bank of Scotland lifer is no longer a competitive rate. Due to my mum's health (angina, heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure yada yada yada) and their age (76 and 79) they can't seem to get an annual policy for anything less than an outrageous price (2k +++ GBP). Ironically, Saga wouldn't even entertain insuring them which seems ridiculous.
Anyway, just wondered if you had any secrets you'd be willing to share!
Old Jan 29th 2024, 10:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel insurance for elderly parents visiting

Originally Posted by Carriemcl
Hey, just wondering if anyone can recommend a UK travel insurance company. My parents come a couple of times a year and always buy an annual insurance policy as they vacation quite a lot, but the 'staff rate' my dad got previously from being a Royal Bank of Scotland lifer is no longer a competitive rate. Due to my mum's health (angina, heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure yada yada yada) and their age (76 and 79) they can't seem to get an annual policy for anything less than an outrageous price (2k +++ GBP). Ironically, Saga wouldn't even entertain insuring them which seems ridiculous.
Anyway, just wondered if you had any secrets you'd be willing to share!
2K doesn’t sound too bad to me. Approx 13 years ago I insured my MIL who was in her late 70’s for 1 month to visit the US. She had DVT 20 years previously but was on blood thinners, she also took meds for high BP. I paid £1K! Can’t remember the insurance company, but Saga would not insure her.
Old Jan 29th 2024, 10:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with JG, £2k actually sounds very reasonable for an annual policy for 2 people, particularly with all of your Mum's health problems. But it might be worth checking that they don't have an existing policy with another product i.e. a credit card or health insurance. My parents get travel covered under their private healthcare policy so don't have to pay extra for it.

Good luck and welcome to BE.
Old Jan 29th 2024, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

Carriemcl is an unknown quantity at this point

Yikes, they have never paid more than 600 GBP for the 2 of them - I'm guessing bank staff deals were very heavily discounted! Okay, well I guess if that's the going rate then they're just going to have to swallow it!
thanks!
Old Jan 30th 2024, 1:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carriemcl
Yikes, they have never paid more than 600 GBP for the 2 of them - I'm guessing bank staff deals were very heavily discounted! Okay, well I guess if that's the going rate then they're just going to have to swallow it!
thanks!
You normally have to contact the insurance company prior to leaving if there is a change in meds or health. The first company I insured my MIL with cancelled the policy because her doctor changed her BP meds. I had to find an alternative company.