Travel Insurance to Canada for over 70s

Wikiposts

Travel Insurance to Canada for over 70s

Old Dec 11th 2010, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

Moosemug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel Insurance to Canada for over 70s

Hi everyone

Does anyone know of a firm which will offer travel insurance to over 70s? My Mum turns 70 shortly and is now unable to get insurance through any firm that will cover her for a heart condition. Some companies will cover parts of the world, but not North America, which is obvioulsy of no use if she is to visit us here in Canada.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel Insurance to Canada for over 70s

I can't give you any names right now but they definitely exist as I have found cover for my 82 yr old Mum. If I remember I'll let you know
Old Dec 11th 2010, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

This is a question which is asked a lot on here. Travel insurance for a relatively healthy 70-year-old is not too hard to come by for Canada, you just have to look hard, it's when you get to 85 it gets really hard, although I have found a few. Age Concern have just announced worldwide cover without an upper limit. I would imagine this is going to be pricey, but might be worth a look? Always a good idea to call these insurers as they will often offer insurance over the phone but the online service won't.

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/buy/age-uk-travel-insurance/

My father also has a heart condition - controlled angina - and we were quoted the equivalent of £10 per day by another company whose name escapes me.

Last edited by singingringingtree; Dec 11th 2010 at 4:33 am.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

Thank you both for your replies. My Mum has tried Age Concern but they wouldn't cover her. If either of you remember the names of the other firms though, that would be great. Thank you!
Old Dec 11th 2010, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

I think these were the people who quoted by 85 yr old father with angina:

https://www.travelunderwriters.com/c....b2c?pc=TFG456

When did you try Age Concern out of interest? We tried them earlier in the year and they wouldn't insure him, but this new insurance was only announced this month.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

my mother got her insurance from her bank,rbs...she also got good quote from the post office...
Old Dec 11th 2010, 5:35 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Another option to consider is buying the insurance in Canada. In the past, I have used Blue Cross for my MIL. When purchasing the insurance I always set the expiry date of the coverage for a few days after the actual date of departure from Canada, just in case there is a flight delay/canc or some other unknown event. Good luck.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

snow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the roughsnow valley is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Moosemug
Hi everyone

Does anyone know of a firm which will offer travel insurance to over 70s? My Mum turns 70 shortly and is now unable to get insurance through any firm that will cover her for a heart condition. Some companies will cover parts of the world, but not North America, which is obvioulsy of no use if she is to visit us here in Canada.

Hi

I have just had to do this for my Dad. We got some extortionate quotes - but in the end got a policy through Insure and Go, who were the most competitive - and they covered his pre-existing conditions. They did, however, exclude cover for winter sports (which I really don't think he is bothered about as he has no intention of going skiing at his age!!)

Good luck.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 11:12 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Broker. Arranges this stuff:

http://pucherinsurance.com/
Old Dec 11th 2010, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Minstrels87 has a reputation beyond reputeMinstrels87 has a reputation beyond reputeMinstrels87 has a reputation beyond reputeMinstrels87 has a reputation beyond reputeMinstrels87 has a reputation beyond reputeMinstrels87 has a reputation beyond reputeMinstrels87 has a reputation beyond reputeMinstrels87 has a reputation beyond reputeMinstrels87 has a reputation beyond reputeMinstrels87 has a reputation beyond reputeMinstrels87 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moosemug
Hi everyone

Hi Moosemug: I posted a similar question back in October. Not sure how to post the link but look up my posts and you will find the thread about "travel insurance for elderly parents" and you will find a whole host of useful information on where to look. You should have better luck than I did as my mother is way older than yours.

Good luck!
Old Dec 12th 2010, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for your help!

My Mum eventually got (expensive) single trip cover with Staysure for a cruise she is doing and I'm going to try and find cover for Canada separately - I'll give Blue Cross a go. She has been turned down by most of the companies mentioned in the threads and has discovered that heart cover is either not been offered, or at a tremendous price. Apparently, there was a huge increase in heart claims last year so the cost has rocketed.

I'll keep you posted - thank you!
Old Dec 12th 2010, 3:46 am

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. My mum is in her mid-70s and has been over here a couple of times. She got fairly reasonable cover through Sheilas Wheels - www.sheilaswheels.com