Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Travel Insurance

Travel Insurance

Old Jul 28th 2014, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Steph214 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel Insurance

Hi! I'm just trying to sort out travel insurance, I can only seem to find policies which cover me for up to 60 days. As I'm moving for at least a year, can anyone recommend a company who will cover for that long? Thanks!
Old Jul 28th 2014, 9:12 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel Insurance

Are you on an IEC visa?
Old Jul 29th 2014, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Pacific Blue Cross are a popular choice:

Visitors to Canada Travel Plan - Pacific Blue Cross | BC Life
Old Jul 29th 2014, 2:46 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steph214
Hi! I'm just trying to sort out travel insurance, I can only seem to find policies which cover me for up to 60 days. As I'm moving for at least a year, can anyone recommend a company who will cover for that long? Thanks!
You need a backpackers or gap year insurance.

Old Jul 29th 2014, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Are you on an IEC visa?

Yup on an IEC visa for the year
Old Jul 29th 2014, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Thanks so much, I'll check these out today
Old Jul 29th 2014, 8:25 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Ok check out 'true traveller' - these are about the only company that allow to extended after a year being outside the UK, there is also 'world nomads' but my quote with them with winter sports was £900 so they ain't cheap!

Also try 'backpackerinsurance.com' - they allow you to take out a 2 year policy.

Many others like 'alpha', 'holidaysafe' and quite a few others want to see evidence of your return to the UK if you make a claim and usually that's documents like a flight ticket/booking, uni offer letter, rental agreement, work contract - so like if are not intending to return it's no good.

Read all the T&Cs carefully and the policy information. If there is anything you are not sure about ring them or email and ask.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

sazzle.pops is an unknown quantity at this point

Also check out Flexicover, I have a 12 months gap year cover with 6 months winter sports for £300 on their silver policy. You can take up to 18 months with them.

Use the code TWT25 to get 25% off
Old Aug 10th 2014, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

sknyvett is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya, looks like I'm in a similar position. My work permit was approved last week and I'm flying at the end of the month. I know one of the IEC requirements is health insurance, but I'm still confused as to what kind of insurance I should be getting to cover myself.

The Ontario Ministry of Health website says that you can apply for the health insurance program after 6 months living in the province, does this mean I only need travel insurance for the first 6 months? Do I need to be able to show proof of insurance when I arrive?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 10th 2014, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sknyvett
Hiya, looks like I'm in a similar position. My work permit was approved last week and I'm flying at the end of the month. I know one of the IEC requirements is health insurance, but I'm still confused as to what kind of insurance I should be getting to cover myself.

The Ontario Ministry of Health website says that you can apply for the health insurance program after 6 months living in the province, does this mean I only need travel insurance for the first 6 months? Do I need to be able to show proof of insurance when I arrive?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
3. What type of insurance must I buy before leaving for Canada?

IEC requires you to buy and maintain health-care insurance (covering medical care, hospitalization and repatriation) for the entire duration of your stay in Canada. We recommend that you buy this insurance only after you have received your Letter of Introduction, confirming that your IEC application was successful.

You may be refused entry if you do not have insurance. If your insurance policy is valid for less than 12 months, you may be issued a work permit that expires at the same time as your insurance. In this case, you are not eligible to apply for an extension of your work permit at a later date.
General FAQ
Old Aug 10th 2014, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
3. What type of insurance must I buy before leaving for Canada?

IEC requires you to buy and maintain health-care insurance (covering medical care, hospitalization and repatriation) for the entire duration of your stay in Canada. We recommend that you buy this insurance only after you have received your Letter of Introduction, confirming that your IEC application was successful.

You may be refused entry if you do not have insurance. If your insurance policy is valid for less than 12 months, you may be issued a work permit that expires at the same time as your insurance. In this case, you are not eligible to apply for an extension of your work permit at a later date.
General FAQ
Much appreciated, unfortunately, I like to make things difficult for myself. I am an Australian with UK dual nationality and have been working in the UK for the past two years. I'm now moving to Canada, but I don't know if I'm supposed to be buying travel insurance from Australia or the UK - I don't think I qualify for Australian travel insurance as I'm not starting my trip from Australia.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 3:33 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sknyvett
Much appreciated, unfortunately, I like to make things difficult for myself. I am an Australian with UK dual nationality and have been working in the UK for the past two years. I'm now moving to Canada, but I don't know if I'm supposed to be buying travel insurance from Australia or the UK - I don't think I qualify for Australian travel insurance as I'm not starting my trip from Australia.
Which IEC program did you apply under, UK or Australia? Whichever you applied under is the country of repatriation and therefore the country you should be getting insurance from.

Old Aug 10th 2014, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

Good point, though technically, I can be repatriated to either. Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 11th 2014, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Hi all,
after hours of Googling - literally hours - I finally found a great travel insurance company that would insure me for a good price (approx. 300 GBP) for the whole 2 years of my IEC program. I know the name has been bandied about before, but here it is again for anyone who needs it.

Backpacker Travel Insurance UK
Old Nov 7th 2014, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

Chris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of light

great information in here, bump

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.