Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Travel from Canada to USA, Can I.....

Travel from Canada to USA, Can I.....

Old Aug 30th 2008, 6:23 pm
Seacroft to Vancouver

chrisconvy_99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel from Canada to USA, Can I.....

If i have a holiday visa , can i travel across the border to the USA without any problems?
Old Aug 30th 2008, 6:52 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel from Canada to USA, Can I.....

depends entirely on what passport you hold and if they are part of the Visa Waiver program. Your status in Canada has no bearing on this unless you are a Canadian citizen
Old Aug 30th 2008, 7:12 pm
Seacroft to Vancouver

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
depends entirely on what passport you hold and if they are part of the Visa Waiver program. Your status in Canada has no bearing on this unless you are a Canadian citizen
I have a british passport
Old Aug 30th 2008, 7:13 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Then you will be fine. If travelling by road you'll need to pay $6 for your I94W (or whatever it is).
Old Aug 30th 2008, 7:15 pm
Seacroft to Vancouver

Originally Posted by bazzz
Then you will be fine. If travelling by road you'll need to pay $6 for your I94W (or whatever it is).
oh thats good then cos i have family in California and it would be nice to see them
Old Aug 30th 2008, 7:16 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chrisconvy_99
I have a british passport
British Citizen or British subject? If you are in Canada and needed a visitor visa then you may be a British subject. So this may be different for the visa waiver program
Old Aug 30th 2008, 7:18 pm
Seacroft to Vancouver

Originally Posted by fledermaus
British Citizen or British subject? If you are in Canada and needed a visitor visa then you may be a British subject. So this may be different for the visa waiver program
Yorkshire born, Yorkshire bred, strong in the heart and thick in the head lol
Old Aug 30th 2008, 7:23 pm
Account Closed

Yorkshire born, Yorkshire bred, strong in the heart and thick in the head lol
I've heard that said of Kentish men.

I just checked on the US website though. Should anyone be a British Subject, or their passport says that they have right of abode in the UK then the visa waiver doesnt apply. They need a visa.

So you didnt need a holiday visa for Canada then, they just stamped your passport?? Thats what made me wonder when you said you had a visa
Old Aug 30th 2008, 7:30 pm
Seacroft to Vancouver

I've heard that said of Kentish men.

I just checked on the US website though. Should anyone be a British Subject, or their passport says that they have right of abode in the UK then the visa waiver doesnt apply. They need a visa.

So you didnt need a holiday visa for Canada then, they just stamped your passport?? Thats what made me wonder when you said you had a visa
no no no, i have been told by the company i am going to work for in vancouver that they will stamp my passport at border control for 6 months. I'm a little confused, they just stamped me when i went to US last time. I wanna know if i can like drive over the border or fly once i am in vancouver. I will have a LMO set up before i make the trip over the border though.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

no no no, i have been told by the company i am going to work for in vancouver that they will stamp my passport at border control for 6 months. I'm a little confused, they just stamped me when i went to US last time. I wanna know if i can like drive over the border or fly once i am in vancouver. I will have a LMO set up before i make the trip over the border though.
You are going to work in Vancouver on a holiday?? A risky strategy. How will you get paid etc etc?

When you come here on holiday, if you have a British Citizen passport then you complete a form on the plane, passport control asks you how long you are staying, where, and what you will be doing. They stamp your passport and in you go. This can be for up to 6 months. You need a return ticket too.

You can drive to the USA and at the border you complete the paperwork for the visa waive scheme.

I think I confused you with the British Subject thingy. Some people have British passports that say they are subjects with right of abode. They arent citizens of Britain. Though some may not realise this. If you have one of these passports then the visa waiver scheme doesnt apply

Its some years since I travelled to the US by plane so I dont knw what they do now for that
Old Aug 30th 2008, 7:50 pm
Seacroft to Vancouver

You are going to work in Vancouver on a holiday?? A risky strategy. How will you get paid etc etc?

When you come here on holiday, if you have a British Citizen passport then you complete a form on the plane, passport control asks you how long you are staying, where, and what you will be doing. They stamp your passport and in you go. This can be for up to 6 months. You need a return ticket too.

You can drive to the USA and at the border you complete the paperwork for the visa waive scheme.

I think I confused you with the British Subject thingy. Some people have British passports that say they are subjects with right of abode. They arent citizens of Britain. Though some may not realise this. If you have one of these passports then the visa waiver scheme doesnt apply

Its some years since I travelled to the US by plane so I dont knw what they do now for that
I'm going to Van on a 'holiday' to check out the company etc, once there i will be obtaining an LMO. The company said this can be set up super quick, once thats done ill start work. I wont be working before hand because thats naughty aint it lol.