Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Transporting Dogs from LHR to Calgary

Transporting Dogs from LHR to Calgary

Old Jul 24th 2010, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Andy_and_Lauren is a jewel in the roughAndy_and_Lauren is a jewel in the roughAndy_and_Lauren is a jewel in the roughAndy_and_Lauren is a jewel in the roughAndy_and_Lauren is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Transporting Dogs from LHR to Calgary

Originally Posted by mags1972
Hey Andy and Lauren

We are flying our 3 Huskies to Calgary in May next year from Manchester using Animal Airlines, the bloke there is called Mike and is really helpful, way cheaper than Airpets and as I said they fly from Manchester, if you live in Chester that'd be quite handy for you guys.

www.animalairlines.co.uk

Any more info just ask or PM me
I shall look into it - thank you.

Originally Posted by BBspringers
Just a thought if you can plan well in advance and want a terrific alternative (or get lucky) there is also the option of The Queen Mary from Southampton to New York then drive to final destination.

Wont suite everyone but could be an option for Maritime / Toronto areas (X at Niagara Falls)

They have Kennel Maids on board and you wont have to worry about weights or extra luggage.

Nice way to Emmigrate if it can be planned.

I'm not a big sea-faring person. Plus I am very impatient and so a boat crossing would kill me

Originally Posted by debbiem
Small (kleine, hein?) Not whiny at all, but very excitable. The minute you went anyone near anything that looked remotely like a walk might be in the offing she would literally bounce off the walls... she was beautiful but very highly strung. We took her from a woman who developed arthritis in her wrists and couldn't manage her, but we didn't have any problems really. She was great with the children too (I got her when I was pregnant with the first and we had three when she died). I don't remember her whining at all tbh - I must ask himself later... She liked to dig for the gophers out here though, and chase the arctic hares - and she would run for miles across the prairie.
Ah, the smalls are much more different (and preferable) to the large Munsters.

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Hey we have ours insured over here with petrsecure.com

they are on raw food plus did it myself with Air transat :GW to YVR - 700 gbp for 2 dogs a 32kgdobie ridge cross and a 26kg lab staffie

In fact they were heavier when we flew them as we had been at my parents for a month and they had been given breakfast and lunch as well as dinner!!
I shall check out Air Transat too. Thank you.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 6:55 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

AT info: Dave Swift at Air T cargo - TS Clipper I think is there company name -
David:

[email protected] 01784 431831

we flew two dogs over to Vancouver in Dec - 1 x squat lab and 1 x dobie / ridge cross - approx 700 gbp
obv have to pay at Canadian end - approx $200 and get all the uk docs - approx 150 gbp oh and the crates!!
Old Jul 25th 2010, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Shawn_ldn is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been using this insurance:
http://www.trupanionpetinsurance.com/
they are very good, very easy to claim and they are very prompt to pay. We did quite a lot of research and only had positive feedback.
The food we use for our dog is:
http://www.petcurean.com/index.php?page_id=195
Go to a good pet store and you'll get good advice. We went for this for a variety of reasons - made in Canada and we have a high energy / active dog.

Good luck with the move, your dogs will love it
Old Jul 26th 2010, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Andy_and_Lauren is a jewel in the roughAndy_and_Lauren is a jewel in the roughAndy_and_Lauren is a jewel in the roughAndy_and_Lauren is a jewel in the roughAndy_and_Lauren is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
AT info: Dave Swift at Air T cargo - TS Clipper I think is there company name -
David:

[email protected] 01784 431831

we flew two dogs over to Vancouver in Dec - 1 x squat lab and 1 x dobie / ridge cross - approx 700 gbp
obv have to pay at Canadian end - approx $200 and get all the uk docs - approx 150 gbp oh and the crates!!
Thank you

Originally Posted by Shawn_ldn
We have been using this insurance:
http://www.trupanionpetinsurance.com/
they are very good, very easy to claim and they are very prompt to pay. We did quite a lot of research and only had positive feedback.
The food we use for our dog is:
http://www.petcurean.com/index.php?page_id=195
Go to a good pet store and you'll get good advice. We went for this for a variety of reasons - made in Canada and we have a high energy / active dog.

Good luck with the move, your dogs will love it
I shall check out the insurers. Aye, the dogs'll need a fairly high protein diet as the go everywhere at 100mph!

Andy
Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Hi Andy & Lauren

Just got off the phone with Air Transat cargo and they don't ship cargo to Calgary at the moment, that is done by Thomas Cook who only deal with pet agents so it looks like I'm back to Animal Airlines again

He has asked their head office in Canada if this is going to change in the near future and will contact me with a reply but he doesn't think it likely
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Andy & Lauren

Just got off the phone with Air Transat cargo and they don't ship cargo to Calgary at the moment, that is done by Thomas Cook who only deal with pet agents so it looks like I'm back to Animal Airlines again

He has asked their head office in Canada if this is going to change in the near future and will contact me with a reply but he doesn't think it likely
Yup, I found the same thing about Air Transat the other day. Are your dogs over the 32kg mark?

I have now managed to find light IATA approved crates. The biggest only weighs 11 kg which means Boomer (the bigger of the two dogs) can also go in as hand luggage.

They are the new Vari crate model and I drove to Sky Masters (pet air cargo at Man Airport) to fit the boys in their cages. Even though I wasn't using Sky Masters I found them to be really helpful and very nice.

Andy
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Andy_and_Lauren
Yup, I found the same thing about Air Transat the other day. Are your dogs over the 32kg mark?

I have now managed to find light IATA approved crates. The biggest only weighs 11 kg which means Boomer (the bigger of the two dogs) can also go in as hand luggage.

They are the new Vari crate model and I drove to Sky Masters (pet air cargo at Man Airport) to fit the boys in their cages. Even though I wasn't using Sky Masters I found them to be really helpful and very nice.

Andy
lol, they weigh 30Kg, 30Kg and 23 Kg respectively although by the time the smallest flies she'll be almost fully grown.

We looked at the vari crates on E-bay and narrowed it down to 2 sizes, extra large and Giant although the Giant size is for Great Danes etc, ours being Siberian Huskies but they are the only crate which fits the tallest in standing up are the giant ones, he measures 33/34" to the tip of his ears and the Giant crate measures 35".
The next size down is 30" hign but is £80, the giant one is £165!!!! Go figure.
If you come across any cheaper give us a shout
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

lol, they weigh 30Kg, 30Kg and 23 Kg respectively although by the time the smallest flies she'll be almost fully grown.

We looked at the vari crates on E-bay and narrowed it down to 2 sizes, extra large and Giant although the Giant size is for Great Danes etc, ours being Siberian Huskies but they are the only crate which fits the tallest in standing up are the giant ones, he measures 33/34" to the tip of his ears and the Giant crate measures 35".
The next size down is 30" hign but is £80, the giant one is £165!!!! Go figure.
If you come across any cheaper give us a shout
Where are you based? If near Man Airport then call Sky Master's as they'll help or if near LHR then try Air Pets as they are very helpful too. Both will sell you crates even if you don't use them.

Just google sky masters manchester airport and you'll get their contact details.

Andy
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Andy_and_Lauren
Where are you based? If near Man Airport then call Sky Master's as they'll help or if near LHR then try Air Pets as they are very helpful too. Both will sell you crates even if you don't use them.

Just google sky masters manchester airport and you'll get their contact details.

Andy
Thanks Andy, we're at Rotherham, South Yorkshire so might be worth a trip out there, 'll google them now.

Old Jul 28th 2010, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

castra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nice

Originally Posted by blue monday
Just call Air Canada Cargo in Heathrow, no call centre you just get straight through to the guys on the ground at heathrow. 0871 224 3600
Good advice. If I have to make an internal reservation & I'm in London, I call the 1-800 number in Canada from a UK phone rather than the 0870 Air Canada number that diverts you to the Indian call centre. They are incompetent beyond belief.

One other call centre is worse than their reservations call centre - Wait til the useless bar-stewards lose you bags & you have to deal with the lost baggage department