Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

TransLInk Heading to Surrey & White Rock?

TransLInk Heading to Surrey & White Rock?

Old Sep 4th 2010, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Tiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enoughTiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enough
Default TransLInk Heading to Surrey & White Rock?

It looks like one or two others may be singling out White Rock & South Surrey as their preferred destination. This article in the Vancouver Sun suggests that opinion is changing on where the next TransLink Sky Train route should be heading. Not UBC and Port Moody, but Surrey.

Move over everyone in Metro Vancouver and make room for another million souls.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Met...197/story.html

Last edited by Tiger_Quimpo; Sep 4th 2010 at 8:43 am.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 3:05 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TransLInk Heading to Surrey & White Rock?

Originally Posted by Tiger_Quimpo
It looks like one or two others may be singling out White Rock & South Surrey as their preferred destination. This article in the Vancouver Sun suggests that opinion is changing on where the next TransLink Sky Train route should be heading. Not UBC and Port Moody, but Surrey.

Certainly Surrey's population is forecast to expand a lot in the coming years but people based in White Rock and south Surrey already have the Park and Ride at King George and the new bus/Canada Line route. Would adding an extension to Guildford in itself be the deciding factor for those choosing between the various spendy areas of Greater Vancouver?
Old Sep 4th 2010, 3:47 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

"suggests TransLink give priority to connecting Surrey city centre to other growth neighbourhoods following completion of the long-awaited Evergreen Line, which will link Port Moody, Coquitlam and Burnaby."

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Met...#ixzz0yZmmc7WA

Looks like it would be after the Evergreen line, not bump the Evergreen line. IMO this makes sense.

However, I wouldn't hold my breath because they don't even have the money for the Evergreen line yet!

FWIW I think Surrey should have more transit infrastructure than it does now. A lot more.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Sep 4th 2010 at 3:51 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Tiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enoughTiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enough

When I was over in the summer (in White Rock) I was trying to find the best option for commuting into Downtown Vancouver. Looked at Skytrain stations with parking. What's the obvious choice here?

Bus Link park and ride - what's that like? Speedy and cheap or slow and expensive?
Old Sep 4th 2010, 7:09 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

When I was over in the summer (in White Rock) I was trying to find the best option for commuting into Downtown Vancouver. Looked at Skytrain stations with parking. What's the obvious choice here?

Bus Link park and ride - what's that like? Speedy and cheap or slow and expensive?
The 351 and 352 bus routes run from White Rock / South Surrey to Bridgeport station where you transfer to the Canada line for Downtown. If you don't live near the bus routes then you can use the park-and-ride at King George Hwy/Hwy 99. Once they leave the park-an-ride these are express buses that only stop a couple of times before they get to Bridgeport.

Although the buses are not new they are quite comfortable - more like a coach than a regular transit bus. You are looking at about 1 hour 15 to 20 minutes in rush hour. This is about the same time as driving.

The single ticket costs $3.50. A monthly pass costs $151 and this gives you unlimited access to the whole Lower Mainland transit system (except the West Coast Express) and free rides for your family at weekends. You also get 15% back from the federal government when you file your tax return.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 9:03 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Not entirely accurate. Port Moody (evergreen line) is slated to go ahead as planned with construction starting in 2011. The issue surrounds if the next project after evergreen should be the UBC Corridor (presently the busiest corrdor in BC) or southern extention of the surrey line.

The argument is growth will be greatest in South Surrey/Langley. Where this notion fails, is that more workers will still be heading to Vancouver than other areas.

Both are needed really, but given the astronomical costs of LRT, it just won't happen. Other infrasctructure needs ever upgrading, replacing or developimng too. The Highway One/port |Mann project is full speed ahead and the Patuillo Bridge replacement will be started in 2015.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 9:06 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Not entirely accurate. Port Moody (evergreen line) is slated to go ahead as planned with construction starting in 2011. The issue surrounds if the next project after evergreen should be the UBC Corridor (presently the busiest corrdor in BC) or southern extention of the surrey line.

The argument is growth will be greatest in South Surrey/Langley. Where this notion fails, is that more workers will still be heading to Vancouver than other areas.

Both are needed really, but given the astronomical costs of LRT, it just won't happen. Other infrasctructure needs ever upgrading, replacing or developimng too. The Highway One/port |Mann project is full speed ahead and the Patuillo Bridge replacement will be started in 2015.
true dat
Old Sep 4th 2010, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JonboyE
The 351 and 352 bus routes run from White Rock / South Surrey to Bridgeport station where you transfer to the Canada line for Downtown. If you don't live near the bus routes then you can use the park-and-ride at King George Hwy/Hwy 99. Once they leave the park-an-ride these are express buses that only stop a couple of times before they get to Bridgeport.

Although the buses are not new they are quite comfortable - more like a coach than a regular transit bus. You are looking at about 1 hour 15 to 20 minutes in rush hour. This is about the same time as driving.

The single ticket costs $3.50. A monthly pass costs $151 and this gives you unlimited access to the whole Lower Mainland transit system (except the West Coast Express) and free rides for your family at weekends. You also get 15% back from the federal government when you file your tax return.
Thanks. Just the sort of info I was looking for.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

kullymack is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought that they would have expanded out towards Langley?
Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by kullymack
Langley isn't even on the radar at this point. Even if it should be.

We just don't have the money. Periodfullstoptheend.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 6:44 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kullymack
A small group has been pushing for many years to get this, http://rftv.wordpress.com/
However with the new HOV lanes and Port Mann, extremely doubtful. The tracks from the old BC Electric are still in place too.

Last edited by Aviator; Sep 5th 2010 at 6:47 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 6:57 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
A small group has been pushing for many years to get this, http://rftv.wordpress.com/
However with the new HOV lanes and Port Mann, extremely doubtful. The tracks from the old BC Electric are still in place too.
In some ways it is a shame that Vancouver built the Sky Train for Expo. I guess a mono rail was cool at the time but the Lower Mainland seems to be locked into the Sky Train design which is considerably more expensive that light rail.

I would love to see the Chilliwack line reopened to connect with the Sky Train in Surrey. I think it could have a viable future.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 7:21 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
In some ways it is a shame that Vancouver built the Sky Train for Expo. I guess a mono rail was cool at the time but the Lower Mainland seems to be locked into the Sky Train design which is considerably more expensive that light rail.

I would love to see the Chilliwack line reopened to connect with the Sky Train in Surrey. I think it could have a viable future.
It is a pain using the WCE with such a limited schedule and the 45 minute drive to Mission. There are more commuters out in the valley now and I suspect if the money going into the highway upgrades went into a light rail alternative, there would be less congestion on the roads and a higher ridership.

Was down in your neck of the woods last week. Nice stroll along the front and dinner watching the sun go down. Gets real busy down there on a Friday night now eh!

Last edited by Aviator; Sep 5th 2010 at 7:24 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 8:32 pm

It is a pain using the WCE with such a limited schedule and the 45 minute drive to Mission. There are more commuters out in the valley now and I suspect if the money going into the highway upgrades went into a light rail alternative, there would be less congestion on the roads and a higher ridership.

Was down in your neck of the woods last week. Nice stroll along the front and dinner watching the sun go down. Gets real busy down there on a Friday night now eh!
yup.

I know I know the Olympics were great, but this is why I didn't want the Sea to Sky. I would much rather have seen the money go towards more transit in the valley.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 8:39 pm
Binned by Muderators

As soon as the sun come out the promenade fills up. Some of the sea front bars do get a bit lively. Junior works at Jimmy Flynns. Although the theme is mock Irish it is run by Brits and the beer is not bad at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.