Transferwise

Old Jan 30th 2019, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferwise

What option did you choose in Transferwise for "How would you like to pay"? Maybe try another option, like Direct Debit. You can cancel your previous transfer.

- Eric S.
Old Jan 30th 2019, 8:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiowan
Transferwise is regulated in the UK by the FCA so it's entirely legit and your money is protected, never use a service that isn't regulated ....
I am not sure what you mean by "protected", but in the event of Transferwise going bust you would become an unsecured creditor, unlike money in the bank there is no insurance or compensation scheme.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Transferwise, and have used other similar services in the past, and will do do again, potentially for quite large amounts, but it is not correct to say that the money is "protected" and imply that the risk of loss is truly "zero".

​​​​​​​It is worth bearing in mind that even money passing between banks as a wire is also not protected, because it is only bank deposits that are protected, and a wire is not a deposit.

Note: this is also true for the "account" that Transferwise is now offering. This is not a bank account, and your money is not in any sense "protected" in the event that Transferwise goes bust. Therefore while I have and would use FX broker-remitters such as Transferwise to exchange currency and send it to another country, I would caution against using a Transferwise "account" to hold money on your behalf.
Old Jan 30th 2019, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Note: this is also true for the "account" that Transferwise is now offering. This is not a bank account, and your money is not in any sense "protected" in the event that Transferwise goes bust. Therefore while I have and would use FX broker-remitters such as Transferwise to exchange currency and send it to another country, I would caution against using a Transferwise "account" to hold money on your behalf.
You may be confusing two kinds of Transferwise accounts. One is their "borderless" account, a personal account which people can sign up for and you can use it like a bank account. The other is their own account that you have to transfer your money to first, in order for them to transfer it to its final destination. As far as I know, this latter account is a real bank account.

- Eric S.

Last edited by Eric S; Jan 30th 2019 at 9:14 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2019, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eshiels
I arranged to send 10000 dollars to my UK bank account with Transferwise ( im moving back later this year) I then went on to my TD bank account to transfer the 10,000 to the transferwise bank account ( a BMO account) there was no way to do that with my online bank. It wasn’t on the list of payees on their easyweb system. Anyway, sent my husband to our branch to ask if we could add them to our bank account as a payee, or could we have them manually transfer from our TD bank to Transferwise banks account. Well the answer he got was no! She of course suggested that we just use TD to send a wire transfer to the UK, but I’m assuming that will cost a lot more than transferwise. Anyone else bank with TD and have used transferwise? Thanks.
limit is $9500 by direct debit from CAD acount
https://transferwise.com/help/articl...ransfers#/From
I have just completed a direct pay via TD and RBC online.
No need to go in branch to perform transaction from CAD to GBP.

Last edited by glendem4; Jan 30th 2019 at 9:23 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2019, 9:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric S
You may be confusing two kinds of Transferwise accounts. One is their "borderless" account, a personal account which people can sign up for and you can use it like a bank account. The other is their own account that you have to transfer your money to first, in order for them to transfer it to its final destination. As far as I know, this later account is a real bank account.

- Eric S.
Yes, I wasn't clear, .... there is a reguslt "transfer account" as well as the "borderless account" for holding money .... ​​but neither are bank accounts. Transferwise is not a bank, and therefore the "borderless account" is not protected as money in a bank account would be.

​​​​​​​The only institutions that offer any sort of "protection" in the event of the company holding your money failing, are banks, building societies, and credit unions. There are somewhat comparable arrangements for travel through the ABTA bond, but I think even that is focused on "getting you home" rather than refunding your money if the travel company goes bust before you leave on your holiday.
​​
​​​
Old Jan 30th 2019, 11:38 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eshiels
I arranged to send 10000 dollars to my UK bank account with Transferwise ( im moving back later this year) I then went on to my TD bank account to transfer the 10,000 to the transferwise bank account ( a BMO account) there was no way to do that with my online bank. It wasn’t on the list of payees on their easyweb system. Anyway, sent my husband to our branch to ask if we could add them to our bank account as a payee, or could we have them manually transfer from our TD bank to Transferwise banks account. Well the answer he got was no! She of course suggested that we just use TD to send a wire transfer to the UK, but I’m assuming that will cost a lot more than transferwise. Anyone else bank with TD and have used transferwise? Thanks.
I'm not familiar with this method of transfer.
I transfer money every month from UK account to Canadian account. I registered with TW telling them the from/to accounts to use and that's all I do. I don't have to take any action with either sending or receiving bank. I use my Debit card on the TW site.

Since I was first doing this, they now have an option to transfer from the UK account instead of using the debit card. Perhaps this method involves some procedure with the sending bank like you mention. It's only about 60p less and not worth mucking about for so I just carry on using the debit card method that I know.

Perhaps this method isn't available Canada to UK.
Old Jan 31st 2019, 12:12 am
Just Joined

Eshiels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'm not familiar with this method of transfer.
I transfer money every month from UK account to Canadian account. I registered with TW telling them the from/to accounts to use and that's all I do. I don't have to take any action with either sending or receiving bank. I use my Debit card on the TW site.

Since I was first doing this, they now have an option to transfer from the UK account instead of using the debit card. Perhaps this method involves some procedure with the sending bank like you mention. It's only about 60p less and not worth mucking about for so I just carry on using the debit card method that I know.

Perhaps this method isn't available Canada to UK.
I’m pretty sure there wasn’t an option to use my Canadian debit card, but maybe I’ll try again. Thanks.
Old Jan 31st 2019, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I am missing something but you say that TD Bank will not allow you to transfer some of your money to Transferwise? I would go back to your bank and talk to someone more senior. Apart from criminality issues, you can send your money to whoever you like.
Old Jan 31st 2019, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, I wasn't clear, .... there is a reguslt "transfer account" as well as the "borderless account" for holding money .... ​​but neither are bank accounts. ​​​
Are you sure about that? I agree that Transferwise is not a bank. And I agree that the "borderless account" is not a real bank account. But that doesn't mean that Transferwise itself can't have accounts at real banks. I'm pretty sure the transfer account is a real bank account.

For example, if I want to make a transfer of Euros to another currency in Transferwise, it asks me how I want to send them the money. One of the options is Bank Transfer. If I choose that option, it gives me the details of the account that I need to transfer my Euros to. That account is at a real bank in Germany, Deutsche Handelsbank.

Maybe the issue is that that German bank account is Transferwise's account, not my account. So it may not protect me. That I don't know.

- Eric S.
Old Jan 31st 2019, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the issue is that that German bank account is Transferwise's account, not my account. So it may not protect me. That I don't know.
That is precisely what the issue is!

I well recall many years ago during the 'Icelandic banks' crisis, the story about the council in the UK that put spare cash in an Icelandic bank account and then of course lost it all as 'businesses' are not protected by the banking guarantee, only personal account. The Transferwise account is a business account.

Old Jan 31st 2019, 3:03 pm

All that is possible, but in almost all cases (banks etc I mentioned above), if a business fails then all assets are liquidated and the proceeds shared between all creditors, there isn't usually any matching of assets to individual creditors or ring-fencing of certain assets or funds for certain groups of creditors.

The general principle is that "everyone is in this together", whether customers, trade suppliers, unsecured lenders (a secured lender is an example of an exception to the "everyone is in this together" principle), landlords, and pretty much anyone else who might be owed money, or has paid for goods or services that they haven't yet received, is given an equal percentage share of whatever funds the liquidator can recover from sale of assets, recovery of debts, litigation, and the contents of any bank accounts.So while undoubtedly you are correct in that the money is in [b]a[b] bank account, the critical issue is that the money isn't in [b]your[b] bank account - the bank account belongs to Transferwise. So if Transferwise goes bust all its business activities are frozen, then the funds in their (Transferwise's) bank accounts, along with the proceeds of the sale of any property, vehicles, equipment, investments, net proceeds of litigation, etc. would be shared out between all creditors, including people with money in "borderless accounts".

The only other exception I know of to what I described above, are the "client accounts" of professional services firms such as solicitors and accountants. When a bank opens a client account for a professional firm it is designation as containing funds held in trust for their clients. If the professional goes bust then the contents of the client account are ring-fenced and not available for other creditors to claim against. I will concede that it is possible that Transferwise has a similar "client account" arrangement with their banks, but I am very doubtful that would be the case. And I say this not least because central banks don't like non-banks operating banking like activities, which is why other businesses, such as M&S, Sainsbury's, and Tesco always have to partner with a bank to offer banking services, such as current and savings accounts.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 31st 2019 at 3:34 pm. Reason: formatting
Old Jan 31st 2019, 3:09 pm

@Eric S - the last post of your post #39 is correct - it's Transferwise's account, not yours.

​​​​​​​****! I hate this web site "upgrade", my post above has lost most of its formatting, and all the paragraphs have been mashed together, .... and I can't even get back into it to edit it!!!

​​​​​​​Though curiously I can edit this one!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 31st 2019 at 3:13 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2019, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Okay, got it. Thanks for clarifying.

- Eric S.
Old Jan 31st 2019, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

****! I hate this web site "upgrade", my post above has lost most of its formatting, and all the paragraphs have been mashed together, .... and I can't even get back into it to edit it!!!

Though curiously I can edit this one!
Ha! I agree with you about the site upgrade. Although I do seem to be able to edit my previous posts. Maybe it only lets you edit within a certain amount of time after you post?

EDIT: yes, it lets me edit my posts from today, but not yesterday or earlier.
​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​- Eric S.
Old Jan 31st 2019, 3:32 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Ha! I agree with you about the site upgrade. Although I do seem to be able to edit my previous posts. Maybe it only lets you edit within a certain amount of time after you post?

EDIT: yes, it lets me edit my posts from today, but not yesterday or earlier.
​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​- Eric S.

Correct - you have up to 10 minutes from the time you post to edit as far as I am aware ... the same as it's always been, for me (well, with mod rights, I can edit any post in my forums, anytime)

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 31st 2019 at 3:52 pm. Reason: By your command :D

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.