Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Transferring money (large sums)

Transferring money (large sums)

Old May 12th 2014, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute
Default Transferring money (large sums)

Just looking into money transfers. Any recommendations for transferring money from house sale over to Canada? Either how-to, or recommendations of companies who offer this service (or Wouldn't-Touch-With-A-Bargepole experiences). Have already got info from Currencies Direct and someone told me to contact Caxton FX.
Old May 12th 2014, 1:09 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring money (large sums)

If you do a search you will find buckets of threads on the same subject.

We used Oanda. Slightly higher fees than some of the other transfer services, but transfers of up to £50,000 are protected even while in transit, so we used them and limited transfers at £50,000 per transfer. Just gave a bit of reassurance that everything would transfer just fine. The tradeoff was that the fees were slightly higher, I think it was something like $20 for the first transfer in a calendar month, and $40 for every additional transfer that month. http://fxtrade.oanda.ca/help/how-to-withdraw-funds

Service was great, easy to use, money usually arrived in 2-3 business days.
Old May 12th 2014, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

We have used both Halo and Moneycorp and found them both fine, although recently Halo's rate has been marginally better for us. Both companies efficient and friendly to deal with.
Old May 12th 2014, 1:34 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

We used HI FX all went well. Most of the big companies are well versed in money transfer it's not that much of a mine field, stick to a known company and u should be ok.
Old May 12th 2014, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

I have used both Moneycorp and Caxton Fx and both were problem free.
Old May 13th 2014, 2:58 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Transferring money (large sums)

Sold my house in the UK and did the following:
  1. Opened a GBP account with TD
  2. Transferred the money directly from my UK bank to the TD GBP account, so it landed without exchanging into CAD, and with minimal fees (think I paid $10)
  3. I let the money sit in the account until the exchange rate was favourable
  4. Contacted several ForEx companies and shopped for the best possible rate for the 150k GBP
  5. Called TD, explained the situation, got put through to a special department that deals with large exchanges, and they matched the best ForEx rate I received, no questions asked
I got the best possible exchange rate, with the least amount of risk, and nearly no fees.

Last edited by Photoplex; May 13th 2014 at 3:04 am.
Old May 13th 2014, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Photoplex
Sold my house in the UK and did the following:
  1. Opened a GBP account with TD
  2. Transferred the money directly from my UK bank to the TD GBP account, so it landed without exchanging into CAD, and with minimal fees (think I paid $10)
  3. I let the money sit in the account until the exchange rate was favourable
  4. Contacted several ForEx companies and shopped for the best possible rate for the 150k GBP
  5. Called TD, explained the situation, got put through to a special department that deals with large exchanges, and they matched the best ForEx rate I received, no questions asked
I got the best possible exchange rate, with the least amount of risk, and nearly no fees.
That sounds like a very interesting solution!
Were you in Canada when you opened the TD GBP account, or did you do this from the UK?
Old May 13th 2014, 1:56 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eddmac
That sounds like a very interesting solution!
Were you in Canada when you opened the TD GBP account, or did you do this from the UK?
Glad you liked it! I didn't trust the other small shop institutions, so this worked out the best of all worlds.

Yes, I had been in Canada for a while and already had some accounts with TD. I don't think being an existing customer was a prerequisite, although I do think having a Canadian address and SIN may be.
Old May 14th 2014, 12:27 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

We used HiFX. The transfer went smoothly and the customer service was good.
Old May 14th 2014, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

CKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the roughCKMaddAll is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Photoplex
Glad you liked it! I didn't trust the other small shop institutions, so this worked out the best of all worlds.

Yes, I had been in Canada for a while and already had some accounts with TD. I don't think being an existing customer was a prerequisite, although I do think having a Canadian address and SIN may be.
For the record, TD as in: http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/product...ex-banking.jsp

I have the same question, and want to make sure I do it correctly!
Old May 14th 2014, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

GandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant future

Couldn't fault Halo. Absolutely fantastic service and everything done when they said it would be and really helpful staff.

HTH
Old May 14th 2014, 2:43 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Originally Posted by CKMaddAll
For the record, TD as in: http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/product...ex-banking.jsp

I have the same question, and want to make sure I do it correctly!
That's the one - the mega banking corp.

I had to open the account in branch. Also, the GBP account can't be accessed or managed via internet banking, and the tellers in branch can't access it either. They can only be accessed by specific staff in branch and on the telephone. It's considered a "special" account because it exists on a separate computer system at TD, and only certain staff have access to that system. Also, the account is not interest bearing - but that's not anything to worry about unless you leave it sitting there for ages!

All minor points, as when you need to access the account to make the exchange you do that with the treasury department on the phone

Last edited by Photoplex; May 14th 2014 at 2:50 am.