Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Transferring money from house sale

Transferring money from house sale

Old May 30th 2018, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring money from house sale

Originally Posted by graham1710
You just need to compare the final amount of currency you get, and who you're comfortable using for larger sums of money :-)
Yep - precisely.
Old May 31st 2018, 2:46 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

I moved a 6 figure sum (GBP) last month using Transferwise, I did several comparisons and they were the best at the time. The only issue I had is that I initiated the transfer when there was a good rate spike, then transferwise hold that rate for 24hrs to receive the money, however my bank (Natwest) would not transfer such a large amount without me "being in a branch in person" which of course I couldnt do so I had to go through a special security process over the phone at 2am local time in BC for them to approve the money transfer. I went to bed and when I awoke the deed was done - funds appeared in my Canadian bank (scotia) a matter of hours later. I then did the house deposit purchase payments through the solicitor etc locally in BC as normal with the funds from my Canadian account. It was stressful at the time but with hindsight remarkably simple.
Old May 31st 2018, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phaedru5
I moved a 6 figure sum (GBP) last month using Transferwise, I did several comparisons and they were the best at the time. The only issue I had is that I initiated the transfer when there was a good rate spike, then transferwise hold that rate for 24hrs to receive the money, however my bank (Natwest) would not transfer such a large amount without me "being in a branch in person" which of course I couldnt do so I had to go through a special security process over the phone at 2am local time in BC for them to approve the money transfer. I went to bed and when I awoke the deed was done - funds appeared in my Canadian bank (scotia) a matter of hours later. I then did the house deposit purchase payments through the solicitor etc locally in BC as normal with the funds from my Canadian account. It was stressful at the time but with hindsight remarkably simple.
Ehen I transferred a large sum like this, I did it all on-line with my Nationwide account. Used the 'faster payments' system, but the downside is that there is a maximum of £10k per transaction, although no limit on the number of £10k's you can do in one sitting. So I laboriously did several £10k transfers. Transferwise were perfectly happy with that though and all went through in under 2 days (I can't pretend that I wasn't checking my Canadian bank account almost hourly though!!)
Old May 31st 2018, 5:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
....there is a maximum of £10k per transaction, although no limit on the number of £10k's you can do in one sitting. So I laboriously did several £10k transfers...
Talk about defeating the object.
Reminds me of a prescription my wife once had. The insurance wouldn't cover 3 x 100mg daily but 6 x 50mg daily, taken in twos, was fine.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Talk about defeating the object.
Reminds me of a prescription my wife once had. The insurance wouldn't cover 3 x 100mg daily but 6 x 50mg daily, taken in twos, was fine.
I worked in UK financial services. Faster payments is relatively new (4 - 5 years old) designed to move relatively 'small' amounts of cash between UK banks in minutes, as opposed to 2 / 3 days under the still extant BACS system. There is a limit of £15k per transaction, but specific banks can opt for lower limits if they so choose.

I many / most ways, UK banking is still streets ahead of Canada I am afraid!
Old Jun 1st 2018, 4:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you'll get many arguments about that on BE.

I do like the email payment system here though, where money can be transferred with neither sender/recipient having to know anything about the other's bank.
Old Jun 1st 2018, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I do like the email payment system here though, where money can be transferred with neither sender/recipient having to know anything about the other's bank.
Yes, that is quite a cute facility!
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

I worked in UK financial services. Faster payments is relatively new (4 - 5 years old) designed to move relatively 'small' amounts of cash between UK banks in minutes, as opposed to 2 / 3 days under the still extant BACS system. There is a limit of £15k per transaction, but specific banks can opt for lower limits if they so choose.

Braclays and First Direct will allow up to £50,000 to be moved via Faster payments.
That is another reason why we bank with the Best UK bank for customer services - First Direct
For a full list of UK banks and their faster payments limits use this link......
Personal Transaction Limits | Faster Payments